RMweb

Manning Wardle 'L' Class 0-6-0

rapidoandy

1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

We are currently finalising the design and until then will keep the planned list of liveries, physical specification and prices close to our chest to provide a little more excitement later on. 

Good! That’s probably as much excitement as I can cope with for now. Please don’t forget to make it easy to get into the mechanism for maintenance purposes!

• Like 2

I think both Sir Berkely and Matthew Murray will be produced. Another intriguing possibility is Bamburgh, motive power for the North Sunderland Railway. Rapido are doing a Y7, which also ran there, so it wouldn't be a surprise.

These models will be hard to resist, so I won't.

Edited by JShow
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, JShow said:

I think both Sir Berkely and Matthew Murray will be produced. Another intriguing possibility is Bamburg, motive power for the North Sunderland Railway. Rapido are doing a Y7, which also ran there, so it wouldn't be a surprise.

These models will be hard to resist, so I won't.

Bamburgh was "L-Class Altered", though - with some considerable detail differences, the most obvious of which were: larger wheels (without the characteristic MW double-bosses); and splashers.  

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Hmmm...I am sorely tempted to butcher one into an 1890 build Hunslet. I reckon enlarging the tank width wise and rounding the top, plus altering the 'Sir Berkeley' spectacle plate to be an enclosed cab would get me halfway there. The double bossed wheels across both are only an inch away from one another too which can easily be brushed away as tyre wear. If construction is similar to the 16" Hunslet with a clip on saddle tank then it shouldn't be too much of a chore...unless Rapido are going to pull a blinder and have variations in cabs/tanks closer to those old Hunslets! Good Luck! *hint*

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

Very excited about these, it will be interesting to see if there’s a K style one. Regardless, the blue one will be on my list. 

I think that has been discussed on the other thread

There are some differences in boiler/smokebox between the two, the L is a bit bigger than the K.

• Like 2

mw1601matthewmurraymiddleton(2).jpg.944fa968e16c7f6474362eb3882beaa6.jpg

MW 1601 Matthew Murray in blue at Middleton Railway

MW1210atMiddleton2023AMJ.JPG.7994ad6f7a15d51c693462d00f6ec246.JPG

MW 1210 Sir B also at Middleton with the Logan and Hemmingway multiple shades of green rather than the Kermit green that it once carried.

I kept quite as I knew about the recording at the same time as NER 1310 was done.

I can imagine amongst the versions (over time) that 1601 will also carry the Arthur name when it was at KESR 

I may need to work a bit longer rather than dipping into the slush fund, unless the Premium Bonds pay out....

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Moxy said:

I think that has been discussed on the other thread

There are some differences in boiler/smokebox between the two, the L is a bit bigger than the K.

What I like about the Ks are the old fashioned cab and smokebox door, if there’s a version that has one or both of those features that’ll tickle my itch! 

Edited by Rich Uncle Skeleton
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A great choice, I built John Dale’s superb kit a while ago in 1/32 scale, I managed to wangle a short “wrapped”  cab with an open bunker on “Spitfire”, a particularly winning combination even if I say so myself!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There was one that operated on the Brill branch, a companion for the Metropolitan E class?

Not really - the three (?) on the Brill Tramway were all "K" class, and the only Metropolitan locos to work the line were "D" and, later, "A" classes.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Not really - the three (?) on the Brill Tramway were all "K" class, and the only Metropolitan locos to work the line were "D" and, later, "A" classes.  

Yes, although they do look very similar.

If you're going to model the "Oxford & Aylesbury" line though, you really want the chain driven Aveling & Porters.

Love the weatherboard version of these, much prettier than the proper cab, especially with the full lining of Sir Berkeley.  The model will oviously need a great deal of attention to the backhead detail etc with no cab.

I think of it as a KWVR loco rather than Middleton, as it belongs to the Vintage Carriages Trust - but being associated for a long time with two presered lines should help with demand for it.  Not a lot of room to fit in the motor & DCC gubbins, but it still looks a good choice Rapido, well done.  Although I can't really justify it, looks like Rule 1 will have to be applied yet again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dear god, welcome to ready to run world and its stifling mentality.

as I recall, the slightest research into the subject of the lovely “L“ locomotives built by Manning Wardle of Leeds will reveal to any even half sentient being that most were built for contractors, of which there were very very many. They were then very often sold off to all sorts of other users, who did lots of really interesting things with them. In the context of which, please could somebody apply some bleddy imagination and wit and produce, or talk about or at the very least think about all the myriad possibilities that this presents to us all, think of the things that exist outside of “strict preservation” and all the interest it might contain. Or of course, feel free to continue to complain about the wrong sort of trailer for Sir Berkeley, argue the toss about wheel bosses, display your ever so boring knowledge of different shades of green, earwax or what-ever! Sorry, I’m in a place that causes one to reflect, and this thread is losing me the will to live!!

Edited by Not Jeremy
That’d be an L then, still on the medication….
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 1