USATC S160 in OO

rapidoandy

Love them or hate them, nearly everyone has a view on them – the S160 will be joining the Rapido Trains UK fleet.

S160Front.png.a80896267fed3959dafd7d479b6d93c0.png

Having been in the top 10 of various wishlist polls for many years, the S160 has been one of our most requested models. Coupled to that, as we are a company with links to North America it seemed a no-brainer for us to make a model of an American-built loco that operated in the UK.

Designing the S160 has not been the easiest of undertakings. We have been working on this alongside our other projects for well over a year. No two preserved locos are the same, and there are even differences between the locomotives as built because they were supplied by several different manufacturers. After the war, the engines saw service all over the world and were heavily modified to suit their new operators’ requirements.

S160Crop.jpg.643819edc904e3de7ffb97d58ba17c7c.jpg

Our plan is to produce models of the original locomotives ‘as built’, when they were seen across the entire country during the Second World War. We will also produce tooling to allow for several preserved examples to be modelled as closely as possible.

0N8A9559-Copy.jpg.872c8b30bfc8ee78694b63e5b3f5cff1.jpg

It's a little early for us to announce which exact locomotives and liveries we will be producing. Rest assured we will share the news as soon as we are able.

S160_3-quarter_1_MW.png.098a54ba3e50c5ed4c0fd5cd7b2c5b53.png

Edited by rapidoandy
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I’ve been waiting for someone to produce this loco for a long time! Thank you Rapido UK for taking on the challenge!

Now I have challenge myself to be patient and wait to see if my loco of choice is one of the lucky preserved liveries to be announced when the time comes 😜😂

• Like 3

• rapidoandy changed the title to USATC S160 in OO
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I am repeating here my post of 10 August from another thread which was posted prior to this 'official' announcement.

Many congratulations to Rapido on this announcement and we wish them every success with the project.👍

The loco has been in The Top 50 of The 00 Wishlist Poll since 2014. Here's how it has fared in more detail (but note that The Poll didn't run in 2017, 2020 or 2021)...

2014 - 40th

2015 - 30th

2016 - 6th

2018 - 3rd

2019 - Top overall

2022 - 4th

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh, that's a nice Big Jim announcement, it would be nice if they Big Jim did a KWVR Big Jim, as it is a popular Big Jim model that will surely sell Big Jim well, and one will certainly come Big Jim here. 

There's a hint in there somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There are photos of a S160 at the station I'm modelling during WW2, so I will be ordering one, the question will be how easy will it convert to EM gauge.

• Like 2

It has been on my wish list for a very long time. I suspect that I may have to sell a lot of my collection to pay for one!!! Wartime black/khaki and dirty would be my choice, but we will have to be patient to see what livery options and price will be available. Rule 1 will always apply, so expect demand will outstrip production.

Tod

• Like 1

‘Omaha’ has just been announced for the SVR steam gala. Think I may have to go for that if it’s produced in model form :)

although I’m a sucker for a made up livery, so one in BR Black will be mighty tempting too

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Just think of all that gesticulating valve gear!

Now, how's one of those going to end up at a small light railway in the Welsh borders? :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2