The Art Of Railway Modelling by James Hilton

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Now with the printers, "The Art Of Railway Modelling", James Hilton's new book on railway modelling in small spaces.

Following on from his earlier book, "Small Layout Design Handbook" (which is being simultaneously reprinted), in this book James develops and discusses his ideas about the artistic side of what we are all about, proposing perhaps a new way of presenting, looking at and talking about our model railways. "Lead Actors" and "The Stage" are two of the chapter headings, while the final section of the book takes these ideas and applies them to a new selection of layout ideas under the heading of "The Stage Set". As previously, these ideas cover prototypes and ideas from both sides of the Atlantic.

The visuals and photographs are strong and James has also illustrated his ideas throughout the book with thought provoking "Tricks of the trade", together with several "Case Studies" from different modellers, many well known through RMweb. I particularly like that one of these was a "Cameo Competition" finalist, which gives the whole thing a pleasing reference back to Iain Rice, who so many of us valued and appreciated through his writings and ideas over many years.

I don't know that everyone will agree with everything James says, but I do think this book has something a bit "different" to say, and offers ideas and thoughts that are relevant to all of our own models, be they large or small.

As Wild Swan Books, I am very pleased to be able to publish James' new work. The format and style is strongly related to the first book, and from a publisher's point of view offers a slightly different approach to the "traditional" Wild Swan modelling titles, potentially opening up several new publishing ideas.

ISBN 9781912038558, landscape format soft back, colour throughout, 280mm X 210mm with laminated cover, 104 pages, priced at £18.50.

thumbnail_ArtofRailwayModellingCoverv1.jpg.a61d9f07df618a182e989b588b21ba10.jpg

Due from the beginning of October, this book will be available direct or from all Wild Swan stockists and quality bookshops, including  James' own "Narrow Planet" operation.

Simon

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

James' new book arrived into stock today and is  available for direct purchase here.

We are very pleased with the way the book has come out and hope that people enjoy reading it. Supplies will shortly going out to other retailers and James will receive his own copies on Thursday. I believe he is going to then give us one of his nice descriptive book opening videos, as well as promoting the book through various media.

I genuinely believe James offers us all a refreshingly different perspective with this book and think it may well spark off new ideas for lots of us. And readers may well not agree with everything James says, which will hopefully spark off new conversations and thoughts  across our wonderful hobby.

Thank you James for having the ideas and writing the book - it has been a great pleasure to have helped you get it into print!

Simon

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you Simon, it has been another wonderful experience to bring this second book to print. Now it is soon to be in peoples hands I hope it is warmly received. I have poured a lot of my own self into the contents, and I thank those who have allowed me to feature there work alongside my own in its pages. This breadth adds to the depth of the message, if that makes sense - and I can't wait to see what people think about the ideas contained within its pages.

Again, as with the first book, a landscape format (flickable, accessible) and graphically led (immersive) it is a deliberate act in both content and design. I hope it finds a home alongside my first book for many of you, and new shelves for those who have not seen 'Small Layout Design'.

I didn't know if I had a second book in me this time last year - and I will say the same now, who knows if a third will follow. In the meantime, thank you to Simon for believing in me - and to many of you for buying them, engaging with the messages and getting in touch with thoughts, reflections and ideas!

(A first look video overview will be published once my 'print' copies arrive later this week).

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 17

I believe some of you will get your copies tomorrow, and in the meantime I’ve done a short video overview…

I can’t wait to see what you all think of the ideas I’ve shared, it’s been a wonderful and quite personal journey creating the content this time, seeing it all in print today for the first time felt VERY exciting. I enjoyed reading it for its own sake rather than design, editing etc etc… which of course is a good sign. Let me know what you think!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Thank you James, I am very pleased that you like the way that the book has come out, I think you have done a great job and like you I look forward to seeing people's reactions to it.

I think your video is very impressive too, as was last year's, (well, all of them really). You have a really engaging and clear conversational style and make something difficult look and feel very easy and natural.

You certainly produced an astonishing blip in orders - Charlie and I are considering a night shift down at the office(!)

Just to keep folk in the loop regarding orders, we got the first ones out today and will be sending more out on Monday. I would expect to have "caught up" by the end of play on Tuesday .

So, thank you again James, and also to everyone who has supported this and your previous book by buying it. Trade supplies will be going out shortly, James at Bill Hudson books should receive his stock (of both books) on Tuesday.

A life enhancing experience at all levels.

Simon

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to say that sales are going incredibly well, in truth we have been slightly overwhelmed and are all working today to get orders out, many about to "hit the system" this afternoon.

We are still running slightly "behind the curve", but will be sending more orders out tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone for your orders and your patience.

We have already had some really nice feedback on the book and will be interested to hear others thoughts in due course.

Simon

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Eagerly anticipating it's arrival, unfortunately we no longer have Saturday postal deliveries on Fraggle Rock, so it will probably arrive Monday.  Chomping at the bit.

Thank you Neil.

We are still running a bit behind, but I can confirm that your order went out to Royal Mail yesterday, so should be with you shortly, we hope you enjoy it!

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Thank you Neil.

We are still running a bit behind, but I can confirm that your order went out to Royal Mail yesterday, so should be with you shortly, we hope you enjoy it!

Simon

Hmm, I'm 'visible' I suppose, as you won't have too many customers on our rock!🤣  I probably know any others anyway!  RM have confirmed it is on it's way, thank you, and until recently would have been here today, but now our post doesn't even fly in due to cutbacks.  This would have ruined our next-day reputation at Trackshack, too, but those days are gone. 🤧

What I would like to say, is the service from the Titfield Thunderblot Bookshop has always been first class, and if I ever get to visit it may end in divorce despite Mrs NHN's tolerance - so many books I need.....

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

As an addendum to this, having finished "The Art of Railway Modelling" I think it is a lovely book and a worthwhile read. For the sake of integrity, I am going to give you a few areas of opportunity for another title:

This book is clearly a labour of love for @James Hilton and focuses on both his experience around the real railways, and time designing and building layouts. James states early on that his interest lies in the neglected and self-made perimeter of the railway network rather than the central thoroughfares - and is it is a style which suits his layout design and ethos very well.

Despite that caveat, I was a little dismayed at the selection of example ideas: much like those layouts suggested in James' 'Small Layout Design' book they are heavily weighted towards Wales, Scotland, Cornwall, Industrial or American/Canadian shortline. While the broad ideas communicated in James' book apply regardless, the idiosyncratic nature of his example prototypes don't map well to the  more pedestrian locales and prototypes of railway modelling. As an exhortation to explore these edges the book stands tall, but if one wants to depict more than one of these relatively quiet backwaters, then you're on your own.

No book can be all things to all people, but my own selfish wish would have been to include a more varied UK prototypes to show different implementations of the design and artistic considerations the book espouses: a urban viaduct scene compared to the cambrian coast line, or a parcels depot compared to an industrial interchange.

I don't think it would be misplaced to say that James' creations are more moving dioramas than model railways in a traditional sense, even with a 'cameo layout' moniker, and so if that's up your street then this book gives ample direct advice. If it's less your thing then some of the broader ideas may still resonate with you.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Having very much enjoyed the  'Small layout design handbook', I duly ordered 'The Art of Railway Modelling' which I received this morning as a birthday present.

As a builder of small layouts (both UK and US) this book shows how immersive small layouts can be. I've only looked at the excellent photos so far, and look forward to reading the text.

Here is a photo of my recently completed small US HO layout - 'Humboldt'

DSCF5128.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

James new book continues to sell well, with many copies going abroad, to Germany and the States especially.

More locally, I was really pleased that Dan at Magalleria in Bath agreed to take some copies.

Magalleria is the most brilliant magazine shop, full of things you never thought  existed, I can highly recommend a browse either virtually or in the shop.

Magalleria

I think Dan may need a re-stock, this was all I could find on my last visit on Saturday. I just love what's on the shelves around James' book!!

1-IMG_8288.JPG.38dbd723c46871753e9172dcdfe4b1c5.JPG

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...