Z21 and Itrain

Stevio778

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Stevio778 said:

Right so are you saying you don't have a dropper wire going to the isolated track that is connected to the general bus wire it just goes to the continuous rail. But you have a Yellow wire instead going to the YD6016

Or green as shown on the YaMorC diagram.

You have a common bus wire (brown in the diagram) which goes to all the track on one side. Note: it musn't change half way around the layout!

You have the other bus wire (which is red on the diagram) going to all the undetected  but isolated sections of rail e.g. points etc. and it also goes to the "C" terminals on the YD6016s.

You have a connecting wire (green on the diagram) which goes from a numbered terminal on the YD6016 to an isolated section of rail where you want detection.

This give a complete circuit for a current flow to be detected.

From Z21, red wire to C terminal > green wire from numbered terminal, to isolated track > through the locomotive to other rail > then back through the brown wire to Z21.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

@Stevio778 May I recommend this website with a suggestion that you spend some time reading the contents of Getting Started and Core Concepts because you need to understand the basic principles of DCC to be able to progress. You are going to have significant challenges going forward if you do not have a totally solid grounding in what you are trying to work with, especially as your intention is to end up with some form of automation.

DCC Wiki 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Add to that.

Do you have a basic knowlege of electrical circuits and how current gets from A to B?

e.g How you would connect a Lamp to a Battery, via a Switch?

Edited by melmerby
Better analogy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I echo the comments from @WIMorrison. Whilst everybody has to start somewhere, the questions you ask suggest you are looking at this project (ie building a DCC model railway) in a manner akin to picking up a single jigsaw puzzle piece, and trying to work out how it fits……. without  (a) having the picture on the box lid and (b) gathering the other jigsaw pieces which fit around it.

The folk on this forum are only able to respond to the queries you raise (ie the topics you know that you don’t know about), and the risk is there are many other issues which need considering , but these are in the “ don’t know what you don’t know” list.

It’s highly probable that you will need to do some trouble shooting; we all do on a new project, even with several years experience. Without gaining the building blocks of knowledge first, whilst I wish you well,  I fear it may become a nightmare for you. 
Maybe it’s worth delaying completely the iTrain (including detection) side of things, and getting a DCC layout functioning first.
Good luck.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

@Stevio778 May I recommend this website with a suggestion that you spend some time reading the contents of Getting Started and Core Concepts because you need to understand the basic principles of DCC to be able to progress. You are going to have significant challenges going forward if you do not have a totally solid grounding in what you are trying to work with, especially as your intention is to end up with some form of automation.

DCC Wiki 

Thanks Iain looks good,

• Friendly/supportive 1

No guys It's been a while since I was at college where we did a little electrical work. I understand your concerns and I appreciate your help and your love shown to me. I really do.  The thing is I tend to learn better by watching videos or some easy-to-understand diagrams. Or by gentlemen like your good selves helping me put the pieces in one by one. I know a lot more this week than I did last week and I know a lot more today than yesterday. So onwards and upwards. The thing is even though this thing is a challenge at times I'm enjoying it and that has a big part to play.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Stevio778 said:

No guys It's been a while since I was at college where we did a little electrical work. I understand your concerns and I appreciate your help and your love shown to me. I really do.  The thing is I tend to learn better by watching videos or some easy-to-understand diagrams. Or by gentlemen like your good selves helping me put the pieces in one by one. I know a lot more this week than I did last week and I know a lot more today than yesterday. So onwards and upwards. The thing is even though this thing is a challenge at times I'm enjoying it and that has a big part to play.

As I said

You do know how a basic circuit is connected e.g a power source (Battery) switch and lamp?

If so, substitute the Z21 for the battery, substitute the track + locomotive as the switch and the YD6016 as the lamp.

When the switch is open (no loco on track) no current flows from the battery (Z21) & the lamp will not operate. (YD6016 will not show occupancy)

When the switch is closed (loco on track) current will flow from the battery (Z21) and the lamp will light (YD6016 will show occupancy)

• Like 2

Hi Guys as some of you know I recently bought a Roco Z21 command station. I wish to connect it to my windows 10 laptop so I can use iTrain. I've looked at the manual and it appears that I use the Lan port but that already has the TP Link router connected to it. So do I connect it to one of the spare ethernet ports on the router?

Thanks!

I assume that you have the Z21 connected to the TP Link router using a cable. You should then connect the laptop to the TP Link router either using WiFi or cable. In both cases if you are using the Roco supplied router then the correct address will be issues to enable the laptop to connect correctly to the Z21 using 192.168.0.111 as the Z21 address.

if you are using another router ie not the supplied router you may need to change the IP address range within the router to 192.168.0.x

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevio778 said:

Hi Guys as some of you know I recently bought a Roco Z21 command station. I wish to connect it to my windows 10 laptop so I can use iTrain. I've looked at the manual and it appears that I use the Lan port but that already has the TP Link router connected to it. So do I connect it to one of the spare ethernet ports on the router?

Thanks!

Yes.   (And turn off your Laptop's WiFi - often a key for that on the keyboard - so it doesn't try to connect to other things such as your home network via WiFi)  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Nigel, if the home wifi is using 192.168.0.x the I agree you need to switch the WiFi off, however if the home network is using a different network then it won’t be an issue as the laptop will route the two networks to the appropriate port.

and if the home network is 192.168.0.x then you can simply connect the Z21 into the home network 😀 ( though advisable to exclude 192.168.0.from the DHCP range)

Edited by WIMorrison
corrected IP address
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Can't you do that on DCC?

Nope, that is why you need to use USB, until the YD9401 becomes available, or the YD7101 command station successor is produced.

There are far to many options and configurations to be able to do it using DCC CVs

Edited by WIMorrison
  • Informative/Useful 1