Z21 and Itrain

Stevio778

7 hours ago, Stevio778 said:

This point motor has another 2 switches in it so I'll probly use one for the frog and one for the feedback

Personally I wouldn't bother with position feedback for the turnouts, it isn't really required and will just cause you additional complexities and confusion whilst building the layout. If you feel that you want to add it later then you can, however I suspect that you have realised by the time you want to install positional feedback that it isn't needed and you wont bother 😉

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

Personally I wouldn't bother with position feedback for the turnouts, it isn't really required and will just cause you additional complexities and confusion whilst building the layout. If you feel that you want to add it later then you can, however I suspect that you have realised by the time you want to install positional feedback that it isn't needed and you wont bother 😉

I’ll second that.  I made provision for point position feedback and haven’t done anything with it yet.  I may well do something with it ‘because I can’ when I’m looking for extra things to do with the layout, but I haven’t missed having it thus far.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thirded

I too haven't bothered and haven't missed it.

Maybe if there is some reason why a point hasn't turned when "told" to by the layout software, it would stop the route being set and a train running through it when set incorrectly?

But I haven't had that happen, since I've been using Tortoises (and a few MP-1s)

I did experience occasional misfires when using Seeps but quickly abandoned those for something better and also with a couple of the original Cobalts, which had a habit of sticking at one end or other.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Stevio778 said:

Does anyone know if I can work a Dapol semaphore signal with one of the spare relay switches on the MP5?

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/products/2l-001-004-n-gauge-junction-signal-gwr-rt-hand-with-two-arms-shorter-post-rt

Yes.

The signal just uses a basic single changeover switch.

EDIT, don't use the output direct from the DCC switch decoder as it has voltage on it, it needs to be a volt free switch.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you are going to be running the layout with iTrain, why not make the signals operate from the program?

I have done that with the two junction signals I have so far installed so that they only operate when the program (in my case Traincontroller) reserves the route  for the train and return to normal as soon as the train enters the block following the signal.

It could be done electrically by using a simple relay connected to one of the spare outputs of a point decoder, although in my case I made a decoder specifically to control 4 signals using an Arduino Nano and a few components.

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

If you are going to be running the layout with iTrain, why not make the signals operate from the program?

I have done that with the two junction signals I have so far installed so that they only operate when the program (in my case Traincontroller) reserves the route  for the train and return to normal as soon as the train enters the block following the signal.

It could be done electrically by using a simple relay connected to one of the spare outputs of a point decoder, although in my case I made a decoder specifically to control 4 signals using an Arduino Nano and a few components.

Hi Keith that is what I'm going to do. That's why I'm getting iTrain. But I thought everything had to go through the Z21 first?

Ta!

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Stevio778 said:

Hi Keith that is what I'm going to do. That's why I'm getting iTrain. But I thought everything had to go through the Z21 first?

Ta!

But in that case you wouldn't drive the signals directly off a point motor as all that will do is act as an indication of which way the points are set, nothing to do with trains and occupancy.

You said this:

15 hours ago, Stevio778 said:

Does anyone know if I can work a Dapol semaphore signal with one of the spare relay switches on the MP5?

I said yes to that as you can but it is dependent on point setting.

For proper automation of signals, each arm needs a DCC address, which you would have if you drive the signal, via small 12v relays from spare outputs on a point decoder.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

To echo what Keith says, and perhaps expand.

You use iTrain to control all aspects of the layout, trains, turnouts and signals, and you don't need to define anything within the Z21 - all it is doing is providing the power to the layout and passing the instructions provided by iTrain to the layout. Because those instructions are the same as would be provided by the phone app, or a maus, you can also provide those same instructions manually to the layout - again all the Z21 does is pass those instructions over to the layout. If you have told a loco to go faster then the Z21 will take the incoming message, relay it onto the DCC track output and the instruction will be enacted by the loco decoder. The same would happen for a turnout moto, or a signal. 

The benefits of letting iTrain control the signalling is that all the signals will be set by the iTrain logic and will be accurate for what you are doing that that time. If the train is stopping it will be red, if the train is being allowed to start, or continue, it will be green and if a caution is being issued it will be yellow. iTrain will also change the turnouts correctly for the route the train is travelling on.

Please don't fall into the trap that so many people do and think you have to control the signals or turnouts manually, you don't - iTrain will do a much better job that you can 😉

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

To echo what Keith says, and perhaps expand.

You use iTrain to control all aspects of the layout, trains, turnouts and signals, and you don't need to define anything within the Z21 - all it is doing is providing the power to the layout and passing the instructions provided by iTrain to the layout. Because those instructions are the same as would be provided by the phone app, or a maus, you can also provide those same instructions manually to the layout - again all the Z21 does is pass those instructions over to the layout. If you have told a loco to go faster then the Z21 will take the incoming message, relay it onto the DCC track output and the instruction will be enacted by the loco decoder. The same would happen for a turnout moto, or a signal. 

The benefits of letting iTrain control the signalling is that all the signals will be set by the iTrain logic and will be accurate for what you are doing that that time. If the train is stopping it will be red, if the train is being allowed to start, or continue, it will be green and if a caution is being issued it will be yellow. iTrain will also change the turnouts correctly for the route the train is travelling on.

Please don't fall into the trap that so many people do and think you have to control the signals or turnouts manually, you don't - iTrain will do a much better job that you can 😉

"You use iTrain to control all aspects of the layout, trains, turnouts and signals, and you don't need to define anything within the Z21 - all it is doing is providing the power to the layout and passing the instructions provided by iTrain to the layout"  Thanks Iain that's become a lot clearer.

• Like 1

For the Dapol signals I use the Train-Tech decoders specifically designed for them, as all of the other options were either overcomplicated (for me) or wouldn't allow iTrain to change them as Iain described above. I also believe Dapol has the T-T decoders available with their own branding.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...