Z21 and Itrain

Stevio778

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, WIMorrison said:

Nope, that is why you need to use USB, until the YD9401 becomes available, or the YD7101 command station successor is produced.

There are far to many options and configurations to be able to do it using DCC CVs

There were more than enough options on the DR4018 to do yer 'ed in🙂

The chap at DCC Train Automation seemed to be suggesting that the YD9401 will only be produced to fulfill current orders, when I asked him when they were expecting them.

He said "You won't get one"

I told him I already had one on order with them, and he said you will get one "sometime" ☹️

• Informative/Useful 1

Hello I've been progressing with my blocks on my test track.

I have the yellow wire going from terminal 1 (ignore wires 2.3 and 4) on the YD6016LN current sensor to the cut rail on the block (the yellow wire is inside the cut) there is a cut both ends of the rail.

The brown wire goes to the continuous rail via the bus  ( I think you call it the continuous rail the common rail)

The Yd6016 is connected to the TP Link router that came with the Z21 via a LocoNet cable I'm using one of the spare ports on the router.

When the engine enters the block, it's causing a short and the blue light on the Z21 changes to red.

Any idea what is causing this?

Thanks,

Steve

IMG_1911.jpg

Edited by Stevio778

I've connected the LocoNet cable to the Z21 now (the green lights flashing on the YD6016)  but the engine is still shorting out as it enters the block (blue light goes to red on Z21) The track doesn't seem to be getting any power. You don't have to configure the YD6016 do you for the track to get power?

• Friendly/supportive 1

Tested the track out on my test layout and all wires are OK. Got some guys round and they tested it with a volt meter and we came to the conclusion that it would be best to just create a single rail track.

I have now done this and I get the same result, as the engine enters the block it stops and the blue light on the Z21 goes to red denoting a short. Unless I have to programme the YD6016 it would appear to be faulty new?

The red wire from the Z21 is soldered to the cut rail, black to continuous. The brown is soldered to continuous rail and goes to TD6016 to C terminal and Yellow soldered to cut trail goes to Terminal 1 on YD6016.

Once again there is no Current going to the Block.

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

just follow the picture that is shown in the YD6016 manual (link provided earlier).

If you consistently use only two colours of wire then you will find it a lot easier - I certainly will because I see black, black/red, yellow and brown wires in you pictures. Just use two - black and yellow would ne a good idea as you will be able to work out where the fault is. I certainly cant from your description and pictures, but I am 99% certain it is simply that you have a crossed wire, therefore a short.

• Informative/Useful 1

I have followed the wiring diagram and as I say I got 2 of my friends who are into electronics to come round (They also looked at that diagram) and they were under the opinion that the YD6016 is faulty unless it has to be programmed.

Just substitute the Brown Wire for Black.

and just substitute the yellow wire for Red

Thanks

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If you first wired this single stretch of track without the YD6016, with each of two colours of wire direct to the track. If it works, that proves the simple scenario works. Then cut one wire, and connect one side from power source/command station to the input of the YD6016, and the other from track to the selected output channel of the YD6016.

Does the loco then work? 
if so, does the sensor show occupancy? (If only using a single length of track, you don’t even need to cut the track to prove occupancy works or not. Just lift the loco off, to see if occupancy display goes off.

If the sensor doesn’t work, then either it’s programmed incorrectly, it’s damaged by incorrect set up, or it’s faulty. But you need to prove it first.

i would say as this simple level, this isn’t really about electronics, it’s about logically following instructions to set up both various devices and wiring connections.

To this end, it would help those giving advice, if you drew in colour a diagram, as in common with @WIMorrison, I cannot understand how you have what seems to be black, red, brown and yellow wires connected to the track. And that’s a very rough track break. - are you sure there’s no bits of metal floating about anywhere?
good luck.

Ian

Edited by ITG
Addition
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Surely if the brown wire in your 4th photo is the same as the brown wire in the 3rd photo, and the yellows in those same photos are the same in each, it cannot be wired correctly.
In photo 4, let’s call the brown wire the lower rail wire; it flows into the YD6016 and out via the yellow wire. So how can the track in photo 3 have brown on one rail and yellow on the other? In electricity terms, your brown and yellow are the same in terms of the usage of YD6016. Of course, the picture is blurred by the usage of red, black and red/black wires as we cannot see how everything connects together. 
But if I’ve interpreted your photos correctly, the answer is simple. You’ve got upper and lower rail power supplies confused.

Ian

Edited by ITG
Added word
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Happy Days guys we cracked it I have soldered the brown wire to the other end and on the red wire rail.

I only have just the yellow wire at the far end. The red track ramp denotes where the cut is and the Mallard TT120 is going into the block nicely now!

Result.

Thanks once again so much!

Steve

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

• Like 1

You really need to sort your wiring out.

You now have red, brown and yellow all with the same ‘polarity’, which is why you, and your electronics experts got it wrong.

You only need two wire colours, one for each rail and doing as I suggested earlier it will prevent (or help prevent) more errors in the future.

Edited by WIMorrison
Corrected auto spelling
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Stevio778 said:

Happy Days guys we cracked it I have soldered the brown wire to the other end and on the red wire rail.

I only have just the yellow wire at the far end. The red track ramp denotes where the cut is and the Mallard TT120 is going into the block nicely now!

Result.

Thanks once again so much!

Steve

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

Good news. But please, for your own sanity (and indeed ours!) read and understand the instructions BEFORE commencing wiring, and standardise your wire colours. Truth is, by following earlier advice to do so, you’d have saved yourself some angst.

Ian

• Like 1

But please, for your own sanity (and indeed ours!) lol 😂

My understanding of diagrams has increased 100%. I was reading a bit more into the Yamorc one than what was actually there!  Have a great week! 
Now onto fitting the point motors. DOH! 
well maybe not this week! Haha 

• Friendly/supportive 1