The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Doctor Who 60th Anniversary specials. 25 November 2023 18:30 GMT. BBC 1 (UK)/Disney+ (RoW)

Paul.Uni

It feels like they are doing some kind of reset after the most recent Doctor, of the Doctors to choose why Tennant, and why Donna Noble who was left lobotomised.

Ncuti Gatwa is going to be an excellent Doctor, he's been brilliant in Sex Education and from the little we've been shown of him as the Doctor he appears to be bringing a strong character to the next regeneration.

I thought Tennant was the best Doctor, he played the role brilliantly and I was sad to see him go, though he did get an odd send off in that he had a whole episode to revisit people knowing he was about to go and actually said he wasn't ready - no way did they plant that for a 60s anniversary special three Doctors ago.  Catherine Tate was a shock to me initially as a companion but like Tennant I thought she made one of the best companions in the end, the role was well acted and she had a really sad departure.  Still waiting for Clara Oswald to return in her Tardis, they left that one wide open for a return ditto Amy Pond in her own repeating time loop courtesy of the Angels, although as a now Hollywood star she might be out of the BBC's pay league.

Looking back on Jodie Whittaker's time, I am starting to think what they actually did was take the CBBC Sarah Jane series and evolve it into a Doctor series with her having a whole gaggle of companions and talking to a very different audience to previous Doctors.

I'll watch the 60th anniversary, it's got Tennant and Tate and it should be fun.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've been in two minds about the return of RTD ever since it was announced. He seems to want to revive DW after the Chibnall/Whittaker mess and his first spell as showrunner was very successful, but returning to the sight of former glories doesn't always end well and I thought he left at the right time before it all went stale. I don't get the BBC anymore anyway so can't watch.

Ncuti Gatwa is going to be an excellent Doctor

He was certainly fine as one of the minor Kens in Barbie.

I don't get the BBC anymore anyway so can't watch.

It's primary outlet now is Disney+.

I must say I thought the Jodie Whittaker/Chris Chibnall version was a vast improvement over the Peter Capaldi/Peter Moffett version. There were some absolute dire episodes from Moffett who seemed to believe that anything he made was the best thing since sliced bread - how about the final episodes of Sherlock? For me, The Timeless Children was one of the best episodes for a long time.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Krusty said:

It's primary outlet now is Disney+.

I have Disney+ for now, it's a freebie thrown into our Internet plan but I don't intend continuing after the free promo ends (I think I got a year free so it'll end next month). BBC have an agreement with a local telecoms provider to bundle BBC content with their streaming service but it's not worth subscribing to yet another streaming service given I'm paying for Netflix and Prime (in the case of Prime it's for the expedited delivery more than their streaming service).

2 hours ago, Bill Radford said:

I must say I thought the Jodie Whittaker/Chris Chibnall version was a vast improvement over the Peter Capaldi/Peter Moffett version. There were some absolute dire episodes from Moffett who seemed to believe that anything he made was the best thing since sliced bread - how about the final episodes of Sherlock? For me, The Timeless Children was one of the best episodes for a long time.

I have to vehemently disagree, Jodie Whittaker was an appalling choice (the black actor who played the alternative Doctor in one story during the Chibnall era out-acted JW by a country mile). Someone once described JW’s Doctor as a “Ceebeebies presenter on acid”. It’s hard to disagree with that.

Peter Capaldi was let down by atrocious scripts, had he had decent material to work with, his Doctor would have been remembered a lot more kindly than it is.

I’m glad that the OP started this thread, otherwise I would have missed this special. Having seen the very first episode, ever, of Doctor Who and have continued to watch it off and on over the decades, I have a soft spot for the programme and will gladly overlook nonsense like that £#*@£#* sonic screwdriver. However, based on recent Doctor incarnations I suspect that after watching the special my report will be “ I had low expectations, and the program failed to live down to them

I hope to be pleasantly surprised

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• Paul.Uni changed the title to Doctor Who 60th Anniversary specials starting 25 November 2023. UK: BBC 1 ROW: Disney+
  • Paul.Uni changed the title to Doctor Who 60th Anniversary specials starting 25 November 2023. BBC 1 (UK)/Disney+ (RoW)

Unless I imagined it, there was a 'trailer' between programmes on the Beeb the other night saying that they're releasing a number of Classic Who series on iPlayer at around the same time as the 60th anniversary specials.  IIRC there was a Tom Baker one and a Peter Davidson, plus at least one other.  Or maybe I read it somewhere?  There is a brief mention of it in Digital Spy's announcement of the 60th anniversary specials (starting 1st November) so it seems it's not a complete figment of my imagination.

(I didn't think Jodie Whittaker was as bad as some people seem to, though I do think a lot of the stories during her time on the show pandered rather too much to her "just playing herself", per the interview with her in this week's Radio Times.  And a few too many of the stories were just weak and unengaging, perhaps partly for that reason.)

• RMweb Premium

I really don't know whether she was a good actress miscast or an actress whose limitations were highlighted by the role, but she really didn't impress me. She certainly wasn't helped by some awful writing and an inept showrunner but a good actor can make something out of mediocre material. Michelle Gomez was superb in the role of Missy and demonstrated how an actress could take a former male part and make it her own, and as Il Dottore highlights, Jo Martin was impressive and highlighted how weak Jodie Whittaker's take on it was. I got the impression she didn't really take the role seriously and made no effort to research the role.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Unless I imagined it, there was a 'trailer' between programmes on the Beeb the other night saying that they're releasing a number of Classic Who series on iPlayer at around the same time as the 60th anniversary specials.  IIRC there was a Tom Baker one and a Peter Davidson, plus at least one other.  Or maybe I read it somewhere?  There is a brief mention of it in Digital Spy's announcement of the 60th anniversary specials (starting 1st November) so it seems it's not a complete figment of my imagination.

The whole of the "classic" series (already available to BritBox subscribers) is going onto iPlayer from 1st November, together with the "Doctor Who Confidential" programmes which accompanied early series of the rebooted version.  At the same time a lot of archive material will be going up on the BBC website. Sounds like fun!

Keith

Alton.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 45655 said:

The whole of the "classic" series (already available to BritBox subscribers) is going onto iPlayer from 1st November, together with the "Doctor Who Confidential" programmes which accompanied early series of the rebooted version.  At the same time a lot of archive material will be going up on the BBC website. Sounds like fun!

Keith

Alton.

I remember it in Black and White but the one with the Yetis in the London Underground , and the original Cybermen  were really scary to me . Literally hiding behind the couch watching them . No interest at all in the latest Whos , but it would be good to watch some old ones to see if as scary as I remember . 

I'll follow it up with Dixon of Dock Green and The Black & White Minstrel Show ................maybe not !

I watched the first two parts of The Android Invasion over lunch. Filmed a stones throw away in East Hagbourne.  There are pictures in the Fleur-de-Lys pub of Tom Baker during filming. They do a decent pint in there.

The Hornby version....

As part of the Hornby Skaledale range, a resin model, based on the 1929 Gilbert Mackenzie Trench design of Police Box, is now available for you to bring home as a new addition to your railway layout!

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/police-box-r8696

Has Modelu produced any characters suitable for Dr Who ?

• 3 weeks later...