BACHMANN REVEAL MODERN-DAY LADIES AT FFESTINIOG RAILWAY EVENT

AY Mod

• Moderators

BACHMANN REVEAL MODERN-DAY LADIES AT FFESTINIOG RAILWAY EVENT

391-135SF-2.jpg

Bachmann Europe Plc today announced two new OO9 Scale models of the Mainline Hunslet Locomotives ‘Linda’ and ‘Blanche’ as part of its Bachmann Narrow Gauge range.With 2023 marking the 60th anniversary since the pair were purchased by the Ffestiniog Railway, the announcement was made during the line’s popular Bygones Weekend, at which Bachmann is showcasing its range of OO9 scale Narrow Gauge models.

391-136SF-4.jpg

Affectionately known as the Ladies, ‘Linda’ and ‘Blanche’ were built for the Penrhyn Quarry Railway in 1893 and served until the railway closed in 1962. The following year both were purchased by the Ffestiniog Railway and soon the 0-4-0 tank engines were fitted with tenders to increase their fuel capacity. Later fitted with front pony wheels, becoming 2-4-0STTs (2-4- 0 Saddle Tank with Tender), the pair were converted to oil firing in the early-1970s, reverting to coal firing in 2013 (Linda) and 2014 (Blanche).

The new Bachmann Narrow Gauge models depict the Ladies in their current condition, as coal firing locomotives decorated in the stunning Ffestiniog Railway Lined Green livery. Driven by a coreless motor and flywheel with all-wheel pick up, a Next18 DCC decoder socket with pre-fitted speaker is fitted along with firebox lighting to bring every model to life.

391-135-3.jpg

391-136-4.jpg

Each model is available in standard format (item No. 391-135 – Linda / 391-136 – Blanche) or with SOUND FITTED (391-135SF/136SF) and with recommend retail prices of £229.95 (391- 135/136) and £329.95 (391-135SF/136SF). Initially, both ‘Linda’ and ‘Blanche’ will be available exclusively via the Ffestiniog Railway’s shop, with all sales supporting the continued operation of the popular North Wales narrow gauge line that runs from Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

All versions are in stock now and purchases can be made in person at the Porthmadog shop, or online at www.festrail.co.uk/shop.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold

For one exiting moment i thought they were the 1970s versions.

Not sure there is much difference other than oil fired in the 70s and now coal fired.

I thought both had cabbed tenders in the 70s too. Might be my memory :-)

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, big jim said:

704F67DF-FCD2-496E-ACA6-543FA56082C0.jpeg.38183b663cc1cf93569b9823e18c6fa7.jpeg

on payday as well! 

I do wish Bachmann would stop taking all my money. That's Blanche dually ordered. I'll need to order a few different nameplates as well, I now have 4 of the mainline Hunslets in various guises! 

If/when Bachmann announce an NGG16 I'll be a very very poor man. 

• Agree 1

Owww yes thank you Bachmann! That's my wallet running off into the distance. Will grab one of these at some point. Not sure which, but certainly not both...

As for those on about an NGG16 - yes please! That'll be a pretty penny, but it'll be a pretty engine 🤩

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garry D100 said:

For one exiting moment i thought they were the 1970s versions.

Not sure there is much difference other than oil fired in the 70s and now coal fired.

Linda in 1972:

1072-15.jpg.182a646876ffde5dce822bcedee0362e.jpgAug72-6.jpg.e09e2084d88511613dacd9480093138d.jpg

Oil fired and in 1970 the smokebox was silver. Not sure about 1971, but it was black again by August 1972, as above. Note smaller, round bodied oil lamp mounted on the door.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

So in terms of possible combinations ignoring oil v coal firing only Blanche as  tender cab 0-4-0 still to announce.

Can’t see it mentioned anywhere else but the collectors club version is an oil fired version of Linda as a 2-4-0 with non tender cab in 1990s Blue, not sure how long it’s been out though as it says limited stocks but I only saw it today myself for the first time 

(from my Bachmann email) 

FF754331-4B06-4DD4-81EF-CA5DD127E2B7.jpeg.0f1cfe5521dae399a31a9378ea2ef044.jpeg

Edited by big jim

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Initially, both ‘Linda’ and ‘Blanche’ will be available exclusively via the Ffestiniog Railway’s shop, with all sales supporting the continued operation of the popular North Wales narrow gauge line that runs from Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

All versions are in stock now and purchases can be made in person at the Porthmadog shop, or online at www.festrail.co.uk/shop.

Hi,

‘Initially sold by the Ffestiniog Shop’ implies that at some point the locos will be available on retailers, do you know when per chance?

Simon

10 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

‘Initially sold by the Ffestiniog Shop’ implies that at some point the locos will be available on retailers, do you know when per chance?

Simon

Thinking aloud. One would assume that they will be available from retailers after the Winter announcements in November?

• Agree 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

No idea Simon but I'll ask next week when they're back from a sunny weekend by the sea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Simon

Only as long as the Ffestiniog shop doesn't sell them all first!

• Funny 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Thinking aloud. One would assume that they will be available from retailers after the Winter announcements in November?

36 minutes ago, ian said:

Only as long as the Ffestiniog shop doesn't sell them all first!

Ian's not far wrong.

From Richard Proudman live from The Cob...

You may recall that we said the same when we launched Holy War with the Bala Lake Railway back in April. As you may be aware, Holy War is still only available from the BLR....

Obviously every purchase of Linda or Blanche via the Ffestiniog puts the money back into the railway, so not only do you get a lovely model(s) but you support a wonderful heritage railway too - without which some of these models may simply not have come to fruition!

If anyone's there this weekend do say hello on the stand.

• Like 2

Seems a sensible move to have a temporary exclusivity, as it should make the railway a bit of money before they go on general release. I think I may well see if Santa Claus and the birthday fairy fancy joining forces. The first trip I had with Mrs J was behind Blanche, so I hope I can invoke a bit of nostalgia and sentimentality in the request!

I'm already seeing photos of them in people's hands, so the eagerness of a purchase is hopefully doing its job for the FfR and Bachmann!

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, JeremyC said:

Given the pony wheels are constrained by the outside frames, does anybody know what the minimum radius this version can go round?

The Bachmann website says:

Designed to operate on curves of first radius (228.6mm) or greater

That's 9 inches in old money. So it will certainly do that, I'm not sure if anyone has tried to see how low it will go. The front wheels on this don't pivot like you'd expect on a 2-something-something engine. Instead the axle is free to move side to side by a few mm. 

19 hours ago, Garry D100 said:

Linda has a cab attachment that can be fitted onto the tender when there's poor weather. I don't know if it's in Bachmann's tooling suite.

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

The Bachmann website says:

That's 9 inches in old money. So it will certainly do that, I'm not sure if anyone has tried to see how low it will go. The front wheels on this don't pivot like you'd expect on a 2-something-something engine. Instead the axle is free to move side to side by a few mm. 

9 inch is about the limit = theres not a lot of play in the pony truck without carrying out some major surgery to the loco - goodbye guarantee,

• Thanks 1