The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Best station-pubs to be stuck at?

KeithMacdonald

On 02/11/2023 at 21:22, Oldddudders said:

Walk up the road opposite Charing Cross station, London, and you see a pub called the Harp. It used to be the Welsh Harp. It's not very big, and a busy city pub, if that's an atmosphere you can stand, but in the evenings, no doubt some afternoons, it has - or at least had - a unique feature. From time to time you will hear a bell ring, whereupon a number of imbibers will rise and leave. They are stage-crew at the London Coliseum, required to make a scene-change etc!

One of my favourite London pubs, and they usually have  proper Perry on sale too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A long time favourite was the Great Western next to Exeter St Davids but it closed down about a year ago. I remember there being 4 pubs very close to that station but but they have all gone and now you only have The Imperial up the hill. Yes its a Spoons and apparently Mr Martins 'local' but it has a fantastic orangery and a great garden that we often walk through when going for breakfast during our stays at the Premier Inn. Never had a bad pint in there.

On certain days of the week you can drink in the bar at the Exeter Brewery right next to the South Western unit stabling sidings just beyond Red Cow crossing.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Irlam station on the CLC has been wonderfully restored and has a pub / cafe in addition to a superb range of railway exhibits (inside and out) and a local history museum.

Don't miss the signalbox, the upstairs displays inside, and if you arrive by train take a wander down the approach road to see the biggest railway exhibits.

Usually just the one hand-pull on but it's well kept and the home-made food to go with it is superb. Discounts on beer on Thirsty Thursday.

https://www.thestationirlam.co.uk/

https://www.thestationirlam.co.uk/heritage-hub/

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

I'd need a 70% discount to bring it down to normal (i.e.not London) prices😁

I was in Brum recently and it was virtually all "London prices"!

I find it's the same in Liverpool and Manchester as well in the city centres. I'm afraid this idea that London is expensive and everywhere else is cheap is a bit of a myth. It is a nice surprise when you go to some place in the middle of nowhere and they charge you something like £2.50 a pint though! But I'm afraid I'm used to paying twice that.

You could probably find cheap pubs in London if you went off the beaten track. But why would you do such a thing? You're normally going to somewhere for a reason, whether it's business or pleasure, and they know that....

I suppose that's why places like 'Spoons is popular. Reasonable price beer and it's always top notch in my experience, and if the draught isn't to your liking there is plenty of choice of branded bottled beers. I don't think of them as local pubs, more a quick pint and move on.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If you want to just sit and watch trains go by. The Commercial Hotel, near Parramatta Station.

316936374_10162578879284012_1237011023787149931_n(1).jpg.481eeb05b6ff3b5b73fa4dcd4d9b8a15.jpg

My cousin was a 'ten pound pom' and Parramatta was his first job in Australia. With his interest in railways, I like to think he might have sat here himself watching the trains go by. Probably much more variety in 1963.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

A pub that I now enjoy when in London, The Southampton Arms, is not actually at a station but a five minute walk from Gospel Oak Station. Turn left outside the station and head up to the traffic lights, turn right on to Highgate Road and the Southampton Arms is on the right just before the railway overbridge. In fact the Gospel Oak to Barking line almost go's over the top of it.

A good 'spit and sawdust' real ale pub with normally 8 or 9 beers, plus unusual ciders all from independent breweries. Basic pork and hot cheese rolls are a speciality and occasionally someone walks in and 'tinkles the ivory's'. Good bus connections from Euston Road or West Hampstead.

Southampton Arms, Highgate Road, London.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, roundhouse said:

A long time favourite was the Great Western next to Exeter St Davids ...

Fortunately the Great Western in Wolverhampton is still alive and well, and remains excellent.

Situated between the former GWR and LMS stations but at the lower level, its copper-capped* chimney pots are adjacent to the high-level station platforms.

*not really

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Fortunately the Great Western in Wolverhampton is still alive and well, and remains excellent.

Situated between the former GWR and LMS stations but at the lower level, its copper-capped* chimney pots are adjacent to the high-level station platforms.

*not really

And with a superb choice of ales.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

*not really

Yes a superb pub that we were in on new Years day serving Holdens ales. Shame that the underpass from high level station is sill not open but a least there is reasonable access via the new road entrance to the main station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An interesting read, but places that I will never visit. I have, though, been to London, ...................................

.........................................but it was London, Ohio! 🔔

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed a couple of pint of Titanic Plum Porter in the bar on Stoke on Trent station last Saturday.  The door from the platform was closed so I had to go outside to the front of the station to gain entry.  When I did get in it was warm and comfortable with good beer, but it close at 8pm. 

20240217_173416.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, airnimal said:

I enjoyed a couple of pint of Titanic Plum Porter in the bar on Stoke on Trent station last Saturday.  The door from the platform was closed so I had to go outside to the front of the station to gain entry.  When I did get in it was warm and comfortable with good beer, but it close at 8pm. 

20240217_173416.jpg

Yes, Bod is a nice bar, and Titanic plum porter is excellent. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'll be visiting the Brewery at Seend Cleave today. Only ten minutes walk (ignore Google maps) from Seend station. Sadly the station closed back in 1966. Next week, I am of with my neighbour to the Seymour Arms at Witham Friary, which was popular with passengers changing there. Another station sadly gone, but at least the line remains open.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Bankes Arms in Corfe Castle is a great place to have lunch and a few beverages whilst enjoying a day out on the Swanage Railway.  There is a good view of both the castle and the railway from the beer garden.

IMG_2178.jpeg.888e959496f7fc6617cb91ea3064a43c.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Graze, a Bath ales bar at platform level next to bath station (unfortunately you have to go down out of the station then up steps inside the bar) with an outside seating area right next o the London bound platform was always a good but shut and is now open under a different name. Looks like it still does ales so will have to try it next time we visit Bath.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Graze, a Bath ales bar at platform level next to bath station (unfortunately you have to go down out of the station then up steps inside the bar) with an outside seating area right next o the London bound platform was always a good but shut and is now open under a different name. Looks like it still does ales so will have to try it next time we visit Bath.

Still owned by Bath Ales. It was over priced, for food anyway. Did visit a few times. Not sure if they have removed the brewing facility. Now it's a sports themed place, Ludo.

• Like 2

Today visited the Seymour Arms at Witham Friary. Once a hotel serving passenger changing at Witham for the trains to Shepton Mallet, Wells, Cheddar and Yatton. It remained a hotel for three years after the line closed to passengers, but has been a pub only since the station closed in 1966. I don't think it has changed much since then.

429585669_10163699077539012_8440435243314803355_n.jpg.0edca9ad2accaca36b73f59daab674f3.jpg

431206436_10163699077754012_3161324918734253331_n.jpg.db136f087a39ebea6552980507ebaaa5.jpg

429587545_10163699077944012_5019544747333056092_n.jpg.55b9f4285a7b5a9b10b40efbd885c503.jpg

https://whatpub.com/pubs/BAT/405/seymour-arms-witham-friary

• Like 7

Doing a bit of research into Aberbargoed station. As you left the station, the four nearest buildings would be The Smiths Arms Hotel, Traveller's Rest, Quarryman's Arms and the Greyhound. All less than two minutes walk. The Quarryman's is the building immediately left of the Traveller's.

417549482_10163715181709012_7025563421309426246_n.jpg.5f422bfe98f2102a1a64f8281bde08f9.jpg

The station is in front of the Smiths.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Way back when I started this topic, I mentioned a couple of out-of-the-way places. Spean Bridge and Corrour.

By a strange coincidence, thanks to a life outside of RMWeb (shocking I know) and an interest in old droving roads, we have a Cunning Plan to visit one of the ancient Scottish droving routes. It might be with a Retriever or two. The plan (so far) is to get the train to a start at Rannoch Station
https://www.google.com/maps/@56.6850667,-4.5764547,306m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e2?hl=en&entry=ttu

Then a 18K jog : https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/251122800

To Corrour Station.
https://www.google.com/maps/@56.7605903,-4.6905871,3a,75y,107.2h,88.09t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipM2JAa2_rfjt2_NE3U7cmaGbsGPi7ZDs3Py_n2S!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipM2JAa2_rfjt2_NE3U7cmaGbsGPi7ZDs3Py_n2S%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-4.098425-ya114.225136-ro-0.010665402-fo100!7i5760!8i2880!5m1!1e2?hl=en&entry=ttu

Followed by an overnight rest stop.

Day two, Corrour Station to Spean Bridge Station : https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/251047789
25K via Kinlochtreig and Corriecholie.

to the Old Station Restaurant at Spean Bridge (for more extensive rehydration)
http://www.oldstationrestaurant.co.uk/
and
https://www.google.com/maps/@56.8902483,-4.9219384,3a,75y,155.81h,89.74t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s0g8P-O-QjrOSoO5ibWfiZg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D0g8P-O-QjrOSoO5ibWfiZg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D233.84184%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e2?hl=en&entry=ttu

All subject to sanity clause and midge seasonality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

By a strange coincidence, thanks to a life outside of RMWeb (shocking I know) and an interest in old droving roads, we have a Cunning Plan to visit one of the ancient Scottish droving routes. It might be with a Retriever or two.

Or even a Reiver or two, perhaps.

But back to pubs, the Strawberry Duck is (in)famously best accessed from Entwhistle station on the Bolton Blackburn line.

John P

• Like 1