Waterside Transfers - Keeping the Water Warm

Fox Transfers instruction recommend using hot (not boiling) water for soaking their transfers. Fine, but when doing a long job such as lining a loco the water goes cold so I find I'm continually back and forwards refreshing the water. So the question is, does anyone have a tip on how to keep the water warm?

Edited by JeremyC
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Re: the 12v car bulb idea.

When I had my Morris Ital many years ago, I dropped a 12v/21W car bulb into the screen washer bottle, wired to the ignition switch. I never once had the washer jets freeze up, it kept the water warm enouvh. I didn't measure the temperature but it worked.

[Don't bother with the jokes about BT cars, I've heard them all, they were ahead of the game in many ways. I've had passengers who were in the bash-BL club, until they actually got in one and changed their minds; I blame the media].

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2023 at 20:45, stewartingram said:

Re: the 12v car bulb idea.

When I had my Morris Ital many years ago, I dropped a 12v/21W car bulb into the screen washer bottle, wired to the ignition switch. I never once had the washer jets freeze up, it kept the water warm enouvh. I didn't measure the temperature but it worked.

[Don't bother with the jokes about BT cars, I've heard them all, they were ahead of the game in many ways. I've had passengers who were in the bash-BL club, until they actually got in one and changed their minds; I blame the media].

One of my best Motors was a Marina Estate. Sadly it was rust that got it in the end, BUT it had done 175,000+ with only one cam Belt Change too! I loved it.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2023 at 13:44, JeremyC said:

Fox Transfers instruction recommend using hot (not boiling) water for soaking their transfers. Fine, but when doing a long job such as lining a loco the water goes cold so I find I'm continually back and forwards refreshing the water. So the question is, does anyone have a tip on how to keep the water warm?

Small Flask? Use an old jar to pop the cooled water in and water your plants!

P

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Lateral thinking. The ideas above are interesting. An immediate suggestion to do it without buying anything you won’t already have. Work in the kitchen next to your cooker not the workbench for that job, with the water in something suitable like a small saucepan boosted for warmth at the very lowest setting over a hob spot for short bursts.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, NBL said:

I've never used warm water with their transfers, and I've never had any problems with them separating from the backing paper.

Exactly - possibly a nanosecond in it. Suggest the OP tries one transfer with hot water and one with cold and see if there's any difference. 

Warm water makes the decal release from the backing paper quicker and with some types makes the decal softer and more malleable. The paper is gummed, soaking in water activates the sticky surface, some of which goes with the decal as it is released.

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NBL said:

Putting decals in water is to separate them from the backing paper, nothing else

The original question (read it) was about how to keep the water warm) .

I know exactly what Decals and water is about thank you.

P

2 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Exactly - possibly a nanosecond in it. Suggest the OP tries one transfer with hot water and one with cold and see if there's any difference. 

My question about the water temperature came about because hot water is recommended by Fox Transfers in their instructions. And yes I have tried both warm and cold water and found the release time is considerably longer when the water is cold, the difference is certainly not a nano second.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, JeremyC said:

My question about the water temperature came about because hot water is recommended by Fox Transfers in their instructions. And yes I have tried both warm and cold water and found the release time is considerably longer when the water is cold, the difference is certainly not a nano second.

Interesting. I've never noticed the difference. I've been having problems with slow release recently but assumed it was a QC issue on the batch as with other Fox transfers there was no problem. Will try hot water on the reticent ones, thanks! 

53 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

The original question (read it) was about how to keep the water warm) .

I know exactly what Decals and water is about thank you.

P

I did read the question, and simply stated my experience.  No need for your pedantry

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Something I have just noticed is that Fox's instructions are not consistent. Some recommend hot water (not boiling) and some warm water. To add to the confusion one pack I have contains a slip saying hot water while the actual pack says warm water. They also recommend a drop of washing up liquid in the water.

Regarding release times they say these can be variable - "From seconds to minutes"

• Agree 1

I have been using Fox transfers for over 20 years and never once used warm/hot water. Regarding release times I am currently applying transfers to a loco from 2 separate but identical sheets, one purchased a couple of weeks ago and one possibly 3-4 years old. The new one is taking approx 30-35 seconds to release and the older one 10-15 so read into that what you will. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

42 minutes ago, Right Away said:

Getting up and going to the sink for more hot water, for me, is a natural break and gives the eyes a rest from all that close up work.

If ever there was a non-problem, this is it!

It amazes me that it has generated so much debate.

CJI.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I just refresh the cold water with luke  warm water. I have found that Fox transfers do need warmer water than most other types. I have had Fox transfers split and break up if using cold unwarned water. I ensure whatever size I’m using I have sufficient fresh warm water to do the specific transfer. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1