TT120: HST

Phil Parker

21 hours ago, Porfuera said:

Great news! My BGs also are very free-running.

I have to say that I found that the couplings on the Mk3s are also a bit of a pain to couple up as well - they seemed to be much less user-friendly than the Mk1s. I had to get the magnifying headset out for some of them and align them vertically and/or horizontally with a poking stick to get some of them to couple.

And there also seemed to be more random uncouplings than I remember with the Mk1s, but rotating one carriage 180 degrees seems to have helped and also this seems to be disappearing with a bit of running in.

Apparently the close coupling mechanism is different - I don't know if that is contributing - but I'd agree that magnetic couplings are definitely the way to go. Last August's Train Terminal (called 'BR Fleet') said that Hornby will be supplying these as an option on the Mk2s so those will be interesting to compare with other makes.

That's interesting that Hornby will be supplying magnetic couplers for the Mk2s. I wonder if they'll be buffer-to-buffer coupling or leave a gap like the current couplers?

I'm guessing the coupling mechanism will be the same as the Mk1s, the Mk3s needing to allow for the underframe detailing (I'm guessing). 

• Like 1

I know this is repeating other posts but.... The HST 125 is really impressive. The TT120 seems to hit a sweet spot.  I was travelling up the ECML when BR first brought them out and they made for a great ride when permitted.  The model looks really good and captures the spirit of the 125s. The acceleration, speed and sound functions all work well.  The Hornby chip is very responsive to the NCE power cab controller.  It makes a bit of a high pitched scream when going full tilt, as per prototype.  So far no problems - I managed to wreck a coupling.  They are very delicate and not easy to repair (when you are 78 and clumsy).  (Its advisable to see a tutorial on coupling and uncoupling in TT scale).. A good idea is to buy a spare pack of couplers along with the model.  The train will go nicely the wrong way over the points, no issues with points. I am aiming to get the number 6 curves for it to run over as the number 4 curves still produce too much overhang. (Number 4 great for freight!).  I do hope Hornby continue with this experiment and others manufacturers join in.  Being solely reliant on Hornby is a bust - Perhaps Peco will see the opportunity and up their partnership with Kato to produce some interesting locos? 

HST125TT120AA01May2024.jpg

• Like 10

18 hours ago, Bill said:

I know this is repeating other posts but.... The HST 125 is really impressive. The TT120 seems to hit a sweet spot.  I was travelling up the ECML when BR first brought them out and they made for a great ride when permitted.  The model looks really good and captures the spirit of the 125s. The acceleration, speed and sound functions all work well.  The Hornby chip is very responsive to the NCE power cab controller.  It makes a bit of a high pitched scream when going full tilt, as per prototype.  So far no problems - I managed to wreck a coupling.  They are very delicate and not easy to repair (when you are 78 and clumsy).  (Its advisable to see a tutorial on coupling and uncoupling in TT scale).. A good idea is to buy a spare pack of couplers along with the model.  The train will go nicely the wrong way over the points, no issues with points. I am aiming to get the number 6 curves for it to run over as the number 4 curves still produce too much overhang. (Number 4 great for freight!).  I do hope Hornby continue with this experiment and others manufacturers join in.  Being solely reliant on Hornby is a bust - Perhaps Peco will see the opportunity and up their partnership with Kato to produce some interesting locos? 

HST125TT120AA01May2024.jpg

I've replaced all my passenger couplings with Hunt magnetic type and all my goods are using Dapol easy shunt. I just couldn't get along with the standard TT couplers. I've just got to hope that the magnets are strong enough for a 7 car rake plus dummy engine, when I finally can afford them.

Best

Dan

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, froobyone said:

I've replaced all my passenger couplings with Hunt magnetic type and all my goods are using Dapol easy shunt. I just couldn't get along with the standard TT couplers. I've just got to hope that the magnets are strong enough for a 7 car rake plus dummy engine, when I finally can afford them.

Best

Dan

I use magnetic couplers (not Hunts, if anything somewhat smaller) and I have had no issue with trains separating. I think you should be fine.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, froobyone said:

Best

Dan

Using them myself on Bregenbach im Schwarzwald, with 1 in 25 gradients and very tight curves I can assure you they are.  

I have also seen a 10 coach rake of heavy OO coaches with them that performs faultlessly.

Les

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone, more specifically with an executive livery version show me how the livery between the power cars and coaches lines up? 

I'm really contemplating purchasing one, but from the videos I’ve seen it looks like the power cars sit higher than the coaches.

a low down picture would be great if you have one

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, That Model Railway Guy said:

Conveniently I happen to be filming a video on these today so was able to take a quick snap for you...

I've noticed the issue in assorted videos but, having seen your photo, I can't quite get my head around what's happening there.  The rooflines seem way out, but some of the other bits not so much?

I had a similar experience with my Dapol N gauge example, was initially put off somewhat by seeing some obvious wrong 'uns but when I finally got one mine was actually spot on!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

I've noticed the issue in assorted videos but, having seen your photo, I can't quite get my head around what's happening there.  The rooflines seem way out, but some of the other bits not so much?

I had a similar experience with my Dapol N gauge example, was initially put off somewhat by seeing some obvious wrong 'uns but when I finally got one mine was actually spot on!

My rooflines are definitely slightly 'out' but, as I'm looking down on my train, it's really not so noticeable. I'm hoping to build an eye-level shelf display, which may highlight the issue more, but it's not a game changer for me.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Granted the liveries are different but these are the pics I took for the review.

Hornby TT HST 6 copy.jpg

Hornby TT HST 7 copy.jpg

Hornby TT HST 8 copy.jpg

I didn't really notice anything at the time but there's a slight difference in the roofline but more noticeable now is the difference between the guard's window and the coach door window.

You broke it, you fix it! (pjs,1354)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I hope this isn't a really dense question, but are the flange depths the same between power cars and trailers?  The recent posts are pictures of the models not sat on rails. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I didn't really notice anything at the time but there's a slight difference in the roofline but more noticeable now is the difference between the guard's window and the coach door window.

It looks to me that the ride heights are slightly different with the vehicle bodies themselves being close to the same heights; note the difference at skirt and roof levels appears very similar. Could the trailer bogies be easily packed?

Edited by natterjack
clarification
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, That Model Railway Guy said:

Conveniently I happen to be filming a video on these today so was able to take a quick snap for you...

IMG_9065.jpg.9643577f3cf58f153d6ad7aee4a06fa5.jpg

thank you for that. It does show if the livery lines up there’s a big difference in the vehicle heights. The power car being taller. It will be good to see a low down shot along the train in one of your next videos with everything lined up on rails

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Hornby TT HST 6 copy.jpg

Hornby TT HST 7 copy.jpg

Hornby TT HST 8 copy.jpg

this picture has been great too. What it clearly shows is how oversized that lump is on the back of the roof on the power car. It should be the same or similar to that on the carriage as this clip of a picture from Flickr shows (original full picture taken by Alexander)

IMG_6443.png.173ab61b219de30d4eb478214c8e7797.png

A little bit of a file down should make it look better and less oversized by comparison 

Having recently started work on a TT:120 layout for an exhibition later this year, I’ve been taking a look at some of the models on offer from Hornby. The video I referred to filming a few posts back was a review of the Class 43 HSTs and Mk3 coaches which is now available:

Don’t worry there’s no unboxing section! For those who just want to see it running, skip ahead to 11:19 😉

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, That Model Railway Guy said:

Don’t worry there’s no unboxing section! For those who just want to see it running, skip ahead to 11:19 😉

Thanks, I've just watched that. I think the reason I couldn't work out what was going on with roof heights, etc, is Hornby has got the white stripe a little too close to the windows which tricks the eye somewhat.  As you say, not likely to worry most buyers.

43196 at Crewe

I definitely fancy one of these when funds permit, if they'd done a Virgin one I'd have succumbed already😎

• Like 2

19 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Thanks, I've just watched that. I think the reason I couldn't work out what was going on with roof heights, etc, is Hornby has got the white stripe a little too close to the windows which tricks the eye somewhat.  As you say, not likely to worry most buyers.

43196 at Crewe

I definitely fancy one of these when funds permit, if they'd done a Virgin one I'd have succumbed already😎

That's a nice pic! 

I'm looking forward to being able to mix in the odd early privatisation era coach into my rakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive got a couple of hm7000 decoders to fit to mine.

Is there already a speaker prefitted in the power / dummy cars?

Is it just a case of installing the decoders - downloading the files and away you go? Will the dummy car need its direction reversing to get the lights working correctly?

Apologies if asked before i did a quick search but didnt see anything

45 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Ive got a couple of hm7000 decoders to fit to mine.

Is it just a case of installing the decoders - downloading the files and away you go? Will the dummy car need its direction reversing to get the lights working correctly?

Apologies if asked before i did a quick search but didnt see anything

I can't answer about the speakers as I bought mine with TXS pre-fitted. However if you go to the Peachy TT:120 channel on YouTube then he did a video where he fitted decoders and powerbanks to his Exec HST so you'll probably find the answer on there. There are probably other YT channels as well.

Once the decoders are fitted then as you say just download the files to each one (about 30 minutes each IIRC) and off you go.

And you are correct about the dummy car - you need to run it in reverse and control the two separately because the Hornby app does not yet handle consists - apparently they are working on that. I normally just set it off and then stick the dummy car on about half-throttle rather than trying to match what the motorised car is doing all the time.

Have fun! 😁

45 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

I can't answer about the speakers as I bought mine with TXS pre-fitted. However if you go to the Peachy TT:120 channel on YouTube then he did a video where he fitted decoders and powerbanks to his Exec HST so you'll probably find the answer on there. There are probably other YT channels as well.

Once the decoders are fitted then as you say just download the files to each one (about 30 minutes each IIRC) and off you go.

And you are correct about the dummy car - you need to run it in reverse and control the two separately because the Hornby app does not yet handle consists - apparently they are working on that. I normally just set it off and then stick the dummy car on about half-throttle rather than trying to match what the motorised car is doing all the time.

Have fun! 😁

Thank you the peachy video was very informative.

I'll be using my prodigy dcc system as control so should only need the app to download the files.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Nope, the instructions specify the space it goes though for one of the flat type. 

Posted (edited)

Thank you. 

Sound now installed in both power and dummy car.

The lights work correctly without any alterations to the settings.. Both decoders set to ID 125 and both decoders operate together

Only couple of issues - first the body screws wernt easy to get out, and second the coupling dont want to engage. Managed it eventually tho.

And the sound - its really really good.

Very pleased with it. The first HST ive owned since i was a young lad in the 80s

Edited by meatloaf
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Very pleased with it/ The first HST ivee owned since i was a young lad in the 80s

If the "original" blue/yellow set depicted them in their slightly later, modified guise with exhaust shroud(?)/panel & windowless ex-Guard's rear compartment, I'd be joining you!!

My first train set was the Hornby HST, in 1978. The nostalgia Force is strong with this one!! Strong, but with the TT120 power cars as they are, resistable. For now....