Heljan LNER 2-8-0+0-8-2T U1 Garratt

AY Mod

• Moderators

BRITAIN’S LARGEST AND MOST POWERFUL STEAM LOCOMOTIVE IS COMING TO ‘OO’!

LNER 2395 Works Black LNER OFFICIAL.JPG

National Railway Museum (LNER official portraits) 

It was the largest and most powerful steam locomotive ever to run on British rails and you’ll soon be able to add this monster to your collection! The LNER’s unique ‘U1’ 2-8-0+0-8-2T Beyer-Garratt was a true behemoth and our amazing articulated model will bring it to life in time for the centenary of the prototype in 2025.

No. 2395 famously made its public debut at the LNER’s celebrations to mark the centenary of the opening of the Stockton & Darlington Railway in 1925 and 100 years later we will celebrate this remarkable machine with a unique high-specification model that will appeal to collectors and fans of historic locomotives alike.

LNER U1 Garratt COLOUR-RAIL.jpg

COURTESY OF COLOUR-RAIL

For 30 years, the ‘U1’ was deployed on arduous banking duties on the infamous inclines at Worsbrough near Barnsley, and Lickey Incline near Birmingham. Although not always popular with those who worked on it, No. 2395 (BR No. 69999) was by some distance the largest and most powerful steam locomotive ever to work in Britain.

image.png

Our ‘OO’ model is the result of in-depth research supported by the National Railway Museum, the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry’s Beyer Peacock Archive and the Gresley Society. We’re also delighted to be working with Rails of Sheffield and Locomotion Models to produce an exclusive edition for their ‘Railway Icons’ collection.

Celebrating the centenary of the ‘U1’ and 200th anniversary of the Stockton & Darlington Railway opening in 1825, the exclusive model will depict No. 2395 in works grey, as it appeared at the LNER’s S&DR centenary cavalcade shortly after completion in 1925 (see below). This very special collectors’ edition will feature bespoke packaging plus DCC Ready and factory-fitted DCC Sound options and production will be strictly limited. Early ordering is strongly recommended to avoid disappointment.

image.png

Using original works drawings and photographs we have created a collection of museum quality models covering the entire career of the locomotive and the various modifications it underwent over its 30-year life. These include changes to the smokebox, water tank breather pipes, coal bunker, handrails, cab and additional vacuum tanks. Also included is a model depicting the locomotive after conversion to oil firing, which saw modifications to the former coal bunker, the addition of a turbo generator for the electric headlight and associated pipework/cable runs.

Packed with authentic details specific to period and livery, our ‘U1’ will be the ultimate expression of steam power for ‘OO’ layouts and a must for collectors of historic locomotives.

The model is currently in tooling and we expect to receive the first working samples for review in January 2024 with first releases planned for early-2025. Look out for further updates soon. Production of all versions will be strictly limited – contact your regular HELJAN stockist today to secure yours!

image.png

Premium Features – Delivered As Standard

·        High Quality Design & Construction

·        Twin Motor/Flywheel Drive

·        Working LED lamps

·        21-pin DCC Interface

·        DCC Ready and DCC Sound Options

·        Factory Fitted Speakers

·        Coal or Oil Fired Options

·        Sprung Buffers

·        Extensive Detail Variations

·        Removable Cab Roof

·        Smoke Unit Compatible

·        NEM Couplings

·        Separate Pipework and cable runs

HELJAN LNER ‘U1’ Models

image.png

#3000 LNER lined black No. 2395 (as built) DCC READY
#30003 LNER lined black No. 2395 (as built) DCC SOUND

image.png

image.png

image.png

#3001 LNER Stockton & Darlington Centenary Cavalcade Grey No. 2395. RAILWAY ICONS EXCLUSIVE - DCC READY
#30013 LNER Stockton & Darlington Centenary Cavalcade Grey No. 2395. RAILWAY ICONS EXCLUSIVE - DCC SOUND

See www.locomotionmodels.com/railway-icons and https://railsofsheffield.com/ for more information.

#3002 LNER 1946-48 unlined black No. 9999 DCC READY
#30023 LNER 1946-48 unlined black No. 9999 DCC SOUND

#3003 British Railways black No. 69999 DCC READY
#30033 British Railways black No. 69999 DCC SOUND

#3004 BR Early Emblem black No. 69999 (coal fired) DCC READY
#30043 BR Early Emblem black No. 69999 (coal fired) DCC SOUND

#3005 BR Early Emblem black No. 69999 (oil fired/headlight) DCC READY
#30053 BR Early Emblem black No. 69999 (oil fired/headlight) DCC SOUND

SRP £399.00 DCC READY

SRP £520.00 DCC SOUND

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Bling ! Bling !  And to think I ascended the Lickey on Wednesday evening in an XC voyager ( then running 20 minutes late ). It was not a success there.The one hope I have for this is that it doesn’t meet with the disasters that their LMS BG did some years ago.A bold and brave venture which hopefully will be a success 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to Heljan on this big announcement - we wish them every success with the project.

Within The 00 Wishlist Poll, the class has been Middle Polling up to 2015 but High Polling in the latest four polls.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

I need help with how this model, "Rule 1" and the Southern Region can work together !

I'm glad this is being produced  -  I wish Heljan all the best.

Claim you thought it was a Maunsell U1 ;-) I wish it was !

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

After the debacles of the Heljan LMS Garratts and the Lynton & Barnstaple 009 locos there is no way that I'm going to order one of these without seeing it run first!

I do wonder whether there is now a deliberate policy of choosing obscure, high-price locos for RTR, as it means batches can be smaller and the expense and difficulty of getting stuff made in China minimised, although doing the U1 in RTR does seem like Olympic standard masochism - not an easy win by any standard.

When was the last time Bachmann announced a main range standard gauge steam loco? Will we ever get a Maunsell U Class, a Fowler 3MT 2-6-2T or any of the other mainstream classes that have never been done in RTR?

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

"After the debacles of the Heljan LMS Garratts" What debacle would that be then? I have one that runs beautifully, looks the part and is a thoroughly good model. and it pulls better than any other steam loco I have. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, 7013 said:

"After the debacles of the Heljan LMS Garratts" What debacle would that be then? I have one that runs beautifully, looks the part and is a thoroughly good model. and it pulls better than any other steam loco I have. 

Me too. My Dad's Garratt is a lovely runner. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, locoholic said:

When was the last time Bachmann announced a main range standard gauge steam loco? Will we ever get a Maunsell U Class, a Fowler 3MT 2-6-2T or any of the other mainstream classes that have never been done in RTR?

I reckon 2017: Coal Tank, 94xx.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 minutes ago, 61661 said:

Understand your situation. As someone who joined Heljan after those models were designed/released, I'm also determined to avoid similar issues and we have made great strides to do so in recent years. In that regard we are being helped by the fact that we now use different factories as one of our previous suppliers ceased production. The first running sample of the U1 is expected in January, so we'll see how it performs in the real world and it will not go into production until it does everything we ask of it to the required standard. I have a 1-in-25 gradient on my layout so I'm very much looking forward to seeing it tackle that with a big train. 

What I can promise is that the LNER U1 will be a VERY different animal to its LMS cousin, which was designed to Hattons' specification and price point. Also worth noting that the problems that arose with the first batch of LMS B-Gs were addressed for the second batch, which did not have any issues. 

With regard to loco choices, we listen to what people are asking for and make our own judgements on what is likely to sell enough to justify the investment. Over the last 15 years or so we've done numerous one-offs and obscure prototypes and generally they've been successful. We get numerous requests for prototype and other locos, but I can honestly say that I've never had a single request at a show or online for a Fowler 3MT, Maunsell U or similar 'missing links'. I'll leave it to RMwebbers to discuss why that might be. 

Thank you for your reply - I wish you every success with the project.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 61661 said:

but I can honestly say that I've never had a single request at a show or online for a Fowler 3MT, Maunsell U or similar 'missing links'. I'll leave it to RMwebbers to discuss why that might be

Wow. The U1 is such a bonkers choice it deserves to succeed - and will probably do so, especially given the 2025 centenary.  I was almost tempted myself as I model LNER (ex NER) - but in N! (But instead I’ve ordered a Rapido Y7 - if I’m going to dabble in 4mm it’s going to have to be a micro, not with a loco bigger than my baseboard…)

But I do have some sympathy with the cri de cœur raised above - all the core everyday locos that aren’t produced in 4mm, let alone 2mm, of which I’d buy multiples! (V3 tank anyone?) I suspect the manufacturers don’t get these requested because the fact is most railway modellers don’t actually know very much about railways - they just want shiny big rtr toys to trundle round the loft. I look forward to seeing a procession of completely unrealistic goods trains hauled by U1s on exhibition tailchasers from 2025 onwards. And good luck to them. The pity is that at one time those gaps would be filled by kits, but no longer. And please don’t say “3D printing” - for steam locos that’s promised a lot but delivered very little, especially as many designers don’t seem to give any thought as to how the body shells they produce might be motorised, or stand up to operation (e.g. incorporating fragile bits like buffers and boiler fittings into a one-piece shell).  Anyway, going OT now. Good luck Heljan.

RichardT

Edited by RichardT
Spelling
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2

Always fancied building one, never got round to it....I may end up buying one purely for the showcase and hopefully pick up a kit to build in EM. I guess a few stashed kits etc will start appearing on eBay soon enough!

Must admit I thought this would be one for KR Models if anyone ever did it but pleasantly surprised at its announcement.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Wow. The U1 is such a bonkers choice it deserves to succeed - and will probably do so, especially given the 2025 centenary.  I was almost tempted myself as I model LNER (ex NER) - but in N! (But instead I’ve ordered a Rapido Y7 - if I’m going to dabble in 4mm it’s going to have to be a micro, not with a loco bigger than my baseboard…)

But I do have some sympathy with the cri de cœur raised above - all the core everyday locos that aren’t produced in 4mm, let alone 2mm, of which I’d buy multiples! (V3 tank anyone?) I suspect the manufacturers don’t get these requested because the fact is most railway modellers don’t actually know very much about railways - they just want shiny big rtr toys to trundle round the loft. I look forward to seeing a procession of completely unrealistic goods trains hauled by U1s on exhibition tailchasers from 2025 onwards. And good luck to them. The pity is that at one time those gaps would be filled by kits, but no longer. And please don’t say “3D printing” - for steam locos that’s promised a lot but delivered very little, especially as many designers don’t seem to give any thought as to how the body shells they produce might be motorised, or stand up to operation (e.g. incorporating fragile bits like buffers and boiler fittings into a one-piece shell).  Anyway, going OT now.

RichardT

Glamour and weirdness sells - see also Pullman Cars, big shiny express Pacifics in colourful liveries, Deltics etc. All are vastly more common on model railways than humble 0-6-0s on coal trains or multiple units that outnumber/ed them. Perhaps less about railway knowledge (although that is undoubtedly a factor) and more about what fires the imagination. 

As soon as it's possible, I'm going to talk to our Andy at Rapido and get the U1 and Y7 together for a photo shoot. ;-) 

• Like 10
  • Funny 3

15 minutes ago, 61661 said:

We get numerous requests for prototype and other locos, but I can honestly say that I've never had a single request at a show or online for a Fowler 3MT, Maunsell U or similar 'missing links'.

I'll get in quick then! At the Warley show when the O2 announcement was the new item, I had a very pleasant conversation with one of the Messrs Nannestad, congratulating him on their first steam subject choice, and suggesting the GNR/LNER J6 would be an excellent follow up model.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

Must admit I thought this would be one for KR Models if anyone ...

Ohh - don't!!

Unless you want one with a different wheel arrangment at each end, plus a rear unit with half a bunker and half an oil tank!

CJI

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

When I was in the Chatham club (30+ years ago), one member built the DJH kit of this beast. Very impressive going around the club layout.

I think - as kits - these odd prototypes really give up something unique, a head turner. As well as the real pleasure of building it yourself. But when done in RTR, they are no longer so unique.

I have Bertha on order, shall I get the U1??? ho hum.... Tempted tempted.... How to justify in the south ? My Bullied brought it down to show his idea a Leader type freight engine???? Replacements for the M7????

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JSpencer said:

When I was in the Chatham club (30+ years ago), one member built the DJH kit of this beast. Very impressive going around the club layout.

I think - as kits - these odd prototypes really give up something unique, a head turner. As well as the real pleasure of building it yourself. But when done in RTR, they are no longer so unique.

I have Bertha on order, shall I get the U1??? ho hum.... Tempted tempted.... How to justify in the south ? My Bullied brought it down to show his idea a Leader type freight engine???? Replacements for the M7????

I have vague memories that the Southern did actually consider buying a Garratt. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Ohh - don't!!

Unless you want one with a different wheel arrangment at each end, plus a rear unit with half a bunker and half an oil tank!

CJI

.....and that's why I'm pleasantly surprised.....😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

image.png.641a71861cdc237f0fa0d0b04c7ccc1a.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1