Next Years Announcements (9th Jan btw)(not wish listing!, well that was the idea, but......)

Pmorgancym

8 hours ago, scouse889 said:

It would be nice to see an authentic Cross Country 2+7 rake in either Intercity or Virgin (with one normal and one buffer fitted PC for some variety?) as this has never been made - any attempts thus far have had the buffet wrong and other deficiencies in the associated coaches. Lima “got it right” in the 90s, although the colours were questionable.

Definitely possible with the Hornby tooling to do the original Virgin XC launch set that had a buffer fitted PC at one end and standard PC at the other. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ravenser said:

If youre modelling the ECML, you need at least 3 A3s to be credible (plus 2 A4s, an A1 and arguably 3-4 V2s)

I raise you 4xA3, 3xA4, 2xA1, 2xA2, (and 5xV2, W1, preserved C1, and the ghost of a P2) to cover all the Doncaster wide firebox traction appearing in the final 7 years of steam dominance at the Southern end of the ECML. This for the purpose of having the major variants in exterior appearance covered. I am a feeble slacker compared to  such paragons as Mr Wright in the matter of full coverage of the Grand Parade of Flamboyant Velocity that places this line Miles Beevor all others.

3 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

...Not sure how many more versions of the same loco people need, but hey ho...

Same class of loco: potentially loads. Drysiders operate their models, pretty sure it's an article of religion. I have by now worn out more than I currently own. Some of that when young and not fully educated in the necessity for lubrication attention, much of it subsequently outdoors for some years where the going is tougher, and the heavier Bach split chassis did wear out rather swiftly however carefully maintained, indoor or out.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I raise you 4xA3, 3xA4, 2xA1, 2xA2, (and 5xV2, W1, preserved C1, and the ghost of a P2) to cover all the Doncaster wide firebox traction appearing in the final 7 years of steam dominance at the Southern end of the ECML. This for the purpose of having the major variants in exterior appearance covered. I am a feeble slacker compared to  such paragons as Mr Wright in the matter of full coverage of the Grand Parade of Flamboyant Velocity that places this line Miles Beevor all others.

Same class of loco: potentially loads. Drysiders operate their models, pretty sure it's an article of religion. I have by now worn out more than I currently own. Some of that when young and not fully educated in the necessity for lubrication attention, much of it subsequently outdoors for some years where the going is tougher, and the heavier Bach split chassis did wear out rather swiftly however carefully maintained, indoor or out.

17 A4s  plus the W1,  13 A3's  with at least 7 more "needed", 7 A2's combinations of Peppercorn and Thompson, 5 V2s loads more needed. 

My wife is insisting that I start attending loco-holics  anonymous. Personally I don't think it's curable. Happy New Year all! 

Edited by davidw
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Helmdon said:

A fact which has been repeated by ‘historians’ down the years as gospel despite being demonstrably not true.

quite apart from anything else, Great Northern wasn’t even selected for rebuilding by Thompson!

See Simon A C Martin’s book on Thompson from the other year.

The choice of locomotive was made by GA Musgrave, Southern Locomotive Superintendent of the LNER, conforming to the totally normal practice of CME proposing the design, a Locomotive Running Superintendent proposing the locomotive due a shopping that fitted the bill, and the LNER board signing off on it.

SAC Martin is an apologist for Thompson.  I don't trust his research or writing.

• RMweb Premium

I understand people saying that everyone wants A1/3 other than FS, but poor ol' Lemberg is sitting in the Hornby sale, and has been repeatedly discounted over the last few months by all and sundry; the livery is almost good looking enough to make a Southern fan like me drop £150 quid on one....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

I understand people saying that everyone wants A1/3 other than FS, but poor ol' Lemberg is sitting in the Hornby sale, and has been repeatedly discounted over the last few months by all and sundry; the livery is almost good looking enough to make a Southern fan like me drop £150 quid on one....

Hornby have done an A4 in War time black but few others. Now if Lemberg were in LNER green or BR green (particularly with late crest and double chimney with or without German deflectors it would have disappeared from shelves very quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

And, of course, more than twice as many Castles on the GWR /WR as there were of the second-string Gresley Pacifics.... 

True, but on average each A3 ran about half a million miles more in service than the average Castle of equivalent age.

And of course the steam loco with the highest service mileage of all was FLYING FOX, which famously lost the 1923 exchanges and then ran 700,000 more miles than the loco that beat it....

Les

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Though, of course, none of Gresley's engines would have reached their potential without copying Churchward practices....

For that matter it took an ex- LNER engineer to give the GW locos proper superheaters so that they realised a lot more of their potential....

Works both ways.

Les

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Helmdon said:

A fact which has been repeated by ‘historians’ down the years as gospel despite being demonstrably not true.

quite apart from anything else, Great Northern wasn’t even selected for rebuilding by Thompson!

See Simon A C Martin’s book on Thompson from the other year.

The choice of locomotive was made by GA Musgrave, Southern Locomotive Superintendent of the LNER, conforming to the totally normal practice of CME proposing the design, a Locomotive Running Superintendent proposing the locomotive due a shopping that fitted the bill, and the LNER board signing off on it.

GREAT NORTHERN just happened to be the next unrebuilt Gresley A1 that was due for a General overhaul.  Nothing more sinister than that.

Les

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Les1952 said:

For that matter it took an ex- LNER engineer to give the GW locos proper superheaters so that they realised a lot more of their potential....

Works both ways.

Les

TBF, Swindon always had an aversion to high degree superheating and could have learned the same lessons from any of the other Big Four companies.

Edited by Dunsignalling

2 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I wonder if a J69, might make it to the top of the tree this year.

manna

Unlikely from Hornby I would say. 

Accurascale have already announced a J67/68 and 69 due in quarter 2 of this year!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

TBF, the Swindon always had an aversion to high degree superheating and could have learned the same lessons from any of the other Big Four companies.

Wasn't the preference for a lower degree of superheat driven by their choice of coal?  Once it couldn't be readily obtained, they had to change the amount of superheating.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Great Waterton said:

The Manc Pullman was probably a bit more restricted?

The Manchester and Liverpool Pullman Mk3 rakes regularly headed to the south west on holidaymaker expresses on Summer Saturdays, no doubt with a lot of the firsts labelled up for "weekend first" pay on the train upgrades.  There's video of some of the services on YouTube heading out of Birmingham New Street.  The stock was often hauled by double headed Class 31s and wasn't always guaranteed to have an ETH fitted example to power the air conditioning which must have made for a sultry stagger down to Devon.  

Have a look at the "Roy Bowden" collection on You Tube where there are 6 videos of Birmingham New Street across the spring to autumn period of 1988, filmed on Saturdays.  You'll be amazed at the variety of stock being used on bucket and spade services, and just how often non-ETH freight locos got to drag air conditioned stock.  No wonder the platform ends are so crowded with enthusiasts.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Les1952 said:

GREAT NORTHERN just happened to be the next unrebuilt Gresley A1 that was due for a General overhaul.  Nothing more sinister than that.

Les

Pretty much.

It was next in line for rebuilding anyway and I doubt much of the original locomotive still existed even in the mid 1940s. I believe it had received new frames by them anyway as many of the original A1s were prone to cracks.

I think the LNER enthusiasts should be aiming their spite at whoever scrapped Midlothian. A far more important loss.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Adi said:

Saw this on social media 

Anyone idea what loco it could be 

FB_IMG_1704464116183.jpg

the loco looks like that Finnish loco restored near windsor…

Chimney, Cab roof, windows, boiler dome and cylinders look like it.

it is just about the only LNER green loco Hornby hasnt yet done, and definitely ticks the oddball box.

I can only image the floods of grief on here if that was Hornbys loco of choice for 2024…., especially if the model came with the folks in the tender…

😛

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, Les1952 said:

True, but on average each A3 ran about half a million miles more in service than the average Castle of equivalent age.

And of course the steam loco with the highest service mileage of all was FLYING FOX, which famously lost the 1923 exchanges and then ran 700,000 more miles than the loco that beat it....

Les

Did they Eck (as they say in Yorkshire)!

Pendennis Castle managed over 1.7 million miles and that wasn't even the highest.

Jason

3 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I wonder if a J69, might make it to the top of the tree this year.

manna

I wouldn't have thought an LNER 0-6-0T would be high on the agenda as they already have the J50 as well as a J52 and J83 in the Railroad range.

If they were going down that route then I would suggest a new J83 before someone else makes one.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

it is just about the only LNER green loco Hornby hasnt yet done, and definitely ticks the oddball box.

I can only image the floods of grief on here if that was Hornbys loco of choice for 2024…., especially if the model came with the folks in the tender…

😛

What about the B2?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

😛

Funnily enough, that was the same likeness I saw in what is presumably just a generic representation of a steam loco.

Talk of LNER green locos did put me to wondering, though, whether we might one day see a Gresley V4 from Hornby: It's a niche LNER tender loco, of which a new build is being constructed by the same group responsible for 'Tornado' and the P2, both of which are already in Hornby range.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Those images are 100% AI, as others have said.

Maybe the new range is to… an AI generated loco.

At least that way theres no argument about accuracy and livery.

an AI loco would never be unauthentic next to a generic coach and many of the fictitious wagons and creative 0-4-0’s that shunt them.

low R&D and as it uses AI probably gets govt support too.

😀

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Maybe the new range is to… an AI generated loco.

At least that way theres no argument about accuracy and livery.

an AI loco would never be unauthentic next to a generic coach and many of the fictitious wagons and creative 0-4-0’s that shunt them.

You do remember that SK was very taken by a demonstration of a set of VR goggles in the first H:AMW series?

🤪

• Funny 3