Next Years Announcements (9th Jan btw)(not wish listing!, well that was the idea, but......)

Pmorgancym

54 minutes ago, JohnR said:

And yet I havnt seen any of their kits in Lidl

49 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I fear you may have to expand your shopping horizons then. If the only criteria is "Can I buy it in Lidl?" then there's a whole world of stuff you are missing.

Yep - Aldi have some rather good long dusters for radiators tunnels on sale this week.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

All this aside I'd really love to see returns of long absences of any loco, DMU, EMU, rolling stock etc, including RailRoad, of anything with ten years or more back in the range!

The 110 DMU from around 1982 has just had the update to the latest DCC friendly motor bogie without much being done to the chassis frame. With a similar modification the Margate class 25, 29, 35, 52 and 86 could be brought back as Railroad as long as the tooling is available. The 37 and 47 are now modified Lima, but the Lima 52 tooling has not been used since manufacture switched to China.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

For me, an obvious candidate for a Dublo release would be the N2. Long overdue a retool anyway, with the current tooling cascaded to the Railroad Plus range. 

The question then is aside from the 69567 and 69550 models plus LNER green and LNER black, would they release faux LMS, Southern and GWR versions? 

I doubt there would be a huge number of new tooled items. I think the Railroad plus range will continue to expand. I would like to see the D49 get a retool - long overdue and no one else does one. 

with some of the quirky items like W1 and the turbomotive being quite successful, is there room for something else of this vein? 

Plenty of prototypes never done still to choose from. I bet 100% someone is hard at work on a T3 model. Is it Hornby? This would be when it gets announced if they are. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Jenny Emily said:

I bet 100% someone is hard at work on a T3 model. Is it Hornby? This would be when it gets announced if they are. 

I'm still hoping when the T3 is done it'll come from Bachmann, or ideally one of the newer companies like Rapido.

I trust them more to do pre-grouping locos well, and in the case of the new kids on the block a full suite of liveries 👌

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Misidentification that's all.

I was comparing it to the one that is under similar wrapping In Birkenhead. I'll try and find the images on my phone.

This thing. Looks like a Grumman but I'm not an expert on US WWII planes. Birkenhead with Molly's Chambers pub in the background. I think you can guess where I was off to!

IMG_20240107_144409.jpg.b03dbcf992540022ef5d88ae302abd57.jpg

IMG_20240107_144335.jpg.a156b8284091baa99e10c2cf162ea678.jpg

Jason

I believe this was TBM German Avenger from Duxford , Think its going to U534 museum when it's refurbished.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Tim123 said:

The 110 DMU from around 1982 has just had the update to the latest DCC friendly motor bogie without much being done to the chassis frame. With a similar modification the Margate class 25, 29, 35, 52 and 86 could be brought back as Railroad as long as the tooling is available. The 37 and 47 are now modified Lima, but the Lima 52 tooling has not been used since manufacture switched to China.

Just because it can come back, doesnt mean it should.

Having the widest collection of 1980’s toys in a 2020’s market isnt a proud claim.

For starters the kids wont recognise half of it, adults wont want it.

If the target market is kids… any old generic will do.

For teenagers/young adults it needs to be relevant, and competitive against the s/h market of the same product.

For mature.. it needs to impress, theyve seen it all before.

if they can railroad down some of the 2000’s era toolings, and at a railroad price, they might do ok with a few things.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

Finally, I've always thought it would be good for Hornby to integrate the Airfix brand more with the Hornby range, producing modern 1:76 kits of typical aircraft, buildings and boats; eg tugs, inshore boats or the numerous small calmac-type ferries that are seen across the UK and Ireland.

Hmmm how big would a 1:76 Calmac ferry be - even a small one ? 

With Airfix they seem to fixated with military modelling . If you go to shows this does tend to be where the market is. While I would like a 1/72 Viscount , I think there is little chance . Now a 1/350 Queen Elizabeth ?  You wouldn’t even need a lot of F35s for the flight deck as we don’t have that many ! 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Legend said:

Hmmm how big would a 1:76 Calmac ferry be - even a small one ? 

With Airfix they seem to fixated with military modelling . If you go to shows this does tend to be where the market is. While I would like a 1/72 Viscount , I think there is little chance . Now a 1/350 Queen Elizabeth ?  You wouldn’t even need a lot of F35s for the flight deck as we don’t have that many ! 

chinooks and merlins to and wildcats

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/01/2024 at 22:39, wombatofludham said:

The Manchester and Liverpool Pullman Mk3 rakes regularly headed to the south west on holidaymaker expresses on Summer Saturdays, no doubt with a lot of the firsts labelled up for "weekend first" pay on the train upgrades.  There's video of some of the services on YouTube heading out of Birmingham New Street.  The stock was often hauled by double headed Class 31s and wasn't always guaranteed to have an ETH fitted example to power the air conditioning which must have made for a sultry stagger down to Devon.  

Not even Weekend First on the ones I went on, just labelled for Standard Class passengers except the end First. Tha was known by booking offices as the 'Staff Coach' because it was usually filled with BR Management Staff and their families entitled to First Class travel.

The Penzance workings often got a good 47 with long range fuel capacity as I remember one I used running ECS from Wembley to Milton Keynes then via Birmingham to Penzance, returning to Coventry and finally ECS to Wembley. Others weren't so lucky, one day we passed a failed train assisted by a Class 58 on the South Devon Banks.

As far as the 31/4s were concerned, a driver once told me you could have traction power or the ETH but not advisable to use both at the same time except with a light load. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Misidentification that's all.

I was comparing it to the one that is under similar wrapping In Birkenhead. I'll try and find the images on my phone.

This thing. Looks like a Grumman but I'm not an expert on US WWII planes. Birkenhead with Molly's Chambers pub in the background. I think you can guess where I was off to!

IMG_20240107_144409.jpg.b03dbcf992540022ef5d88ae302abd57.jpg

IMG_20240107_144335.jpg.a156b8284091baa99e10c2cf162ea678.jpg

Jason

No I think that's a traffic cone

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Legend said:

While I would like a 1/72 Viscount , I think there is little chance . 

I know it is Mach 2 who by reputation can be a bit vague in shape but you can get a 1/72 injection moulded Viscount 700

Mach 2 Aircraft kits - MACHGP104 | Hannants

They also do 1/72 Comet IVs as well as other "classic" jets.  Personally I would kill for a 1/72 easy to build Bac 1-11 seeing as I am four months older than the first example to fly.

Edited by wombatofludham
Stuffed up the link...

4 hours ago, Tim123 said:

Thanks. Yes I did mention a few years I'd love to see the Class' 25 last produced in 2001, 29 last produced in 2000, 35 Hymek last produced in 2004?, 52 (Western) last produced in 2005, 58 last produced in 2006? 86 last produced in 2005, etc updated back into the RailRoad range. 

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

Thanks. Yes I did mention a few years I'd love to see the Class' 25 last produced in 2001, 29 last produced in 2000, 35 Hymek last produced in 2004?, 52 (Western) last produced in 2005, 58 last produced in 2006? 86 last produced in 2005, etc updated back into the RailRoad range. 

TBH, some of those date back to the 1960s and will be past it  even by Railroad standards without a pretty comprehensive retool. 

I doubt that the amount of reworking needed would be justified other than for "full-fat" models.

All have been done much better by others this century, and most are still obtainable. I can't see Hornby going in for deliberate duplication of items that are likely to have satisfied most of what demand exists already. 

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

I know it is Mach 2 who by reputation can be a bit vague in shape but you can get a 1/72 injection moulded Viscount 700

They also do 1/72 Comet IVs as well as other "classic" jets.  Personally I would kill for a 1/72 easy to build Bac 1-11 seeing as I am four months older than the first example to fly.

Oh yes.

BAC1-11 (pref 500)

Viscount 800

Vickers Merchantman

Lockheed L188

Avro 748

Dart Herald

Fokker F27

Douglas DC6B

Take me straight back to the late 1980s when my mate very graciously arranged so fantastic "events" for me.   The ultimate was a VFR flight in G-SIXC Coventry-Manchester to convey a "full digger" of newspapers over to Dublin as a relief flight, then etys back over north Wales to Coventry. 

It would be awesome

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/12/2023 at 18:33, AY Mod said:

Duke of York and Duke of Sussex; they just stay in the shed, don't do any work and moan about the cost of repairs.

Last time I was at Shildon Mr Sussex didn't seem popular. On offer for less than a Dynamometer Car

DSC00463s.jpg.59e99038acc8eb35263f68fc86ae77a1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

Being vague of shape is only part of the story with Mach2. It is a one man band setup by a chap called Didier in France. He produces models that no major manufacturer are generally likely to touch because he wants to, and appears not to give a damn what anyone thinks. I have met him a couple of times at ScaleModelWorld and he seems a nice guy. The kits are not easy, unless you are experienced. These are two of mine: 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235107127-172nd-raf-armstrong-whitworth-argosy-c1-mach2-kit-finished/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235068681-172nd-avro-york-of-241-ocu-mach-2-kit/

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Being vague of shape is only part of the story with Mach2. It is a one man band setup by a chap called Didier in France. He produces models that no major manufacturer are generally likely to touch because he wants to, and appears not to give a damn what anyone thinks. I have met him a couple of times at ScaleModelWorld and he seems a nice guy. The kits are not easy, unless you are experienced. These are two of mine: 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235107127-172nd-raf-armstrong-whitworth-argosy-c1-mach2-kit-finished/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235068681-172nd-avro-york-of-241-ocu-mach-2-kit/

Actually what I've seen online of builds of the more recent models (DC8 and DC9) they do seem to be not bad, and as you say, kudos for actually doing some 1/72 airliners.  I'm sure they will be no problem for anyone used to railway modelling or who have experience of MTK kits.

Must admit I do still fancy doing a stabiliser rail fictional airport halt somewhere on the south coast with a Mach 2 Comet, or Britannia on a diverted bucket and spade flight fogged out of Gatwick if I can find the room. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Last time I was at Shildon Mr Sussex didn't seem popular. On offer for less than a Dynamometer Car

DSC00463s.jpg.59e99038acc8eb35263f68fc86ae77a1.jpg

Users have been returning them complaining about a constant whining noise. 😉

• Round of applause 5
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Users have been returning them complaining about a constant whining noise. 😉

Happened when they were converted to US HO apparently

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they release a large number of class 31's, 56's and 60's at a new lower price to compete with competitors' soon to be released superior models.

I bet there still won't be a metals sector 60! 🤣

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Hornby must think that they wouldn’t sell because they didn’t last long in that livery. For my part, I think it strange that one or other of the two hasn’t been produced especially as it would only be a re-livery. There’s a growing interest in pre-grouping too.

It's a bit like how they tooled their J15 to allow for GER Y14s to be produced and then never released any! Baffles me...

• Like 3