Parkside PC58 kit - four underframe sprues, no body!

I bought a Parkside PC58 LMS brake van kit from a private seller on eBay.  It was described as "In unopened packaging", which appeared to be the case when it arrived today.  When I opened the packaging I found, as per the thread title, four identical sprues of underframe parts but no sprues of body components.  Before I go back to the seller to query this, can someone confirm that I am not going mad, and that these kits should indeed contain the body components as well as the underframe parts?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes it should. Link here to one that Hattons were selling

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklistdatabase/322402/parkside_models_pc58_lms_20_ton_brake_van_dia_1659_plastic_kit/stockdetail

If you click on the 2nd photo, it clearly shows light grey body components in the plastic bag.  If it was unopened it looks like you got a 'Friday afternoon' kit where someone has picked the wrong parts when packing it.

• Like 1

I did open a kit (I won't name the company) that I had bought new and found there were no body parts.  I decided to scratch build them, a nice project that came out nicely.  This was a simple wagon.  I think a brake van is too complex for that.

Point is that mistakes do happen.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Good plan, I'll give that a try first before raising a complaint against the seller (who may actually not have known about the issue).

I think making contact with the seller in a spirit of enquiry would not hurt...Peco will probably charge for sprues. I know this.

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Agree 1

If it was a Parkside /Peco change over time kit it may have left the factory like that. 

Some strange things happened while Peco were getting used to the range. 

Some underframe kits came with a bonus van roof for example. 

The missing body could be why it was on e bay or it could have been a genuine error ,  ( I prefer to think the latter) either way I would contact the seller first off as the item isn't as described regardless of when the bits went missing. 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Does the packaging suggest that it was a Peco version of the kit or not? That kit has been around for quite a few years, so probably nothing to do with Peco.

It's the sellers problem, as selling something not as described.

3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Does the packaging suggest that it was a Peco version of the kit or not?

It's definitely in the new Peco packaging with the clear plastic box rather than the old style Parkside placcy bag with a Peco label on it, as in the second photo in the Hatton's link posted by Moxy above.  (The actual item listing is here.)

I've raised an "item is defective" return with eBay this morning, it'll be in the post to the seller later today.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2023 at 08:46, kevinlms said:

It's the sellers problem, as selling something not as described.

Who will be unable to do anything about it, so will suggest returning for a refund, and the OP then has no kit. 

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

How have we managed to discuss this for this long?

Surely a 2 minute phone call would answer whether Peco would sort as a goodwill gesture and if not, return for a refund.

Next week's topic, referendums!

It's not PECO's problem though.

Bought on eBay, it's up to eBay to sort out (obviously asking the seller beforehand).

Jason

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's not PECO's problem though.

Bought on eBay, it's up to eBay to sort out (obviously asking the seller beforehand).

Jason

Now it's not Peco's problem. The seller has sold a defective item, that he ought to have inspected when he first received it and complained to whoever he purchased it from, to sort out. Of course we all do that don't we?

Obviously not, otherwise there would be none of these unopened 50 year old kits!

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey. I'd have thought, 'uh', that's a bid weird. Then I would have:

asked on here if anyone wanted the UF parts;

if not, contacted Peco and asked if it might be possible to have two sets of Body parts ?

If you then only wanted one LMS BV you could have popped a note on here again.

IF all that failed, I suppose I might have demanded a refund through Ebay?

If it were me again, I may have sent a message to the seller, but FFS, this is a First World Problem. 

Such fun.

Victor Meldrew.

• Like 4