Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

MTK Class 505 EMU

Darius43

• RMweb Premium

I actually want a Swindon 123, but I am struggling with 3D CAD.

Want to 3D the cab and underframe bits, roof Triang, chassis frame Triang, side craft cut.

I am going to have to finish my 120 which is craft cut with a Cameo 4.

Going to convert a 110 to the WR 2 car 104

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

OK Darius

Do you get more satisfaction building these than buying a RTR model?

We reckon you do.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, MJI said:

OK Darius

Do you get more satisfaction building these than buying a RTR model?

We reckon you do.

Absolutely.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Darius

There is always a picky so and so, can it be my turn today, please?

The Altrincham units had a small wing mirror on the driver's side in front of his door.

MSJA_M29235M

Altrincham Electrics

Manchester Oxford Road station in 1971

It is very small, so how many people are not going to notice it, whoops that could be quite a few now I have mentioned it.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

17 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Darius

There is always a picky so and so, can it be my turn today, please?

The Altrincham units had a small wing mirror on the driver's side in front of his door.

It is very small, so how many people are not going to notice it, whoops that could be quite a few now I have mentioned it.

It was small on the real thing so even smaller on the model, so small in fact it cannot be seen.

However, the unit is a correct shade of solid colour blue.

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnn 🤣

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I never noticed that before but, looking at the research pictures I have, there it is.  

Brass sheet and wire should do the job…

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

Hi Darius, …..exceptional work as always.

my vote would be for the 2Hal (as it is an interesting one off), followed by the SR Demu  (since you have 2), and finally to be selfish the Clacton class 309 as I used to commute on those, and have one to be built, just mulling over the appropriate power bogie.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Deffo want to see the 304 take shape. I did start one back in my youth, but that is long gone. I’m also building one from DC kits ends and Replica suburbans and I have recently turned my attention to redoing the cab end and roof on the ‘completed’ trailer. It will be fascinating to see the MTK one come to fruition.

Here’s mine. I’ve cleaned off the dust since the second pic was taken:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 47164 said:

Hi Darius, …..exceptional work as always.

my vote would be for the 2Hal (as it is an interesting one off), followed by the SR Demu  (since you have 2), and finally to be selfish the Clacton class 309 as I used to commute on those, and have one to be built, just mulling over the appropriate power bogie.

The Clacton and Walton sets were at there best just before they were refurbished. The first class at the country end driving composite was down graded to peasant's class. My mate use to like traveling in a former Walton set in a compartment. We took it in turns as I preferred a single seat in the open first no smoking seating bay of a Clacton set. Sitting in an armchair whooshing along at 90 to 100 mph and the firm paying my travel expenses, commuter heaven, , sadly by that time the buffet cars had been withdrawn.

005.jpg.3a6cb92b70465f5ffed12b569835af95.jpg

I have started so I will might finish,  two car Clacton with a 4 car Walton next to it.

007.jpg.ae9c778baa4bdf0a362c0e9bb8bb438a.jpg

A Clacton 4 car buffet set.

Tri-ang Mk1 cut and shuts on Bachmann Commonwealth bogies and with class 29 bogies for the power cars.

I wish I could stick to one project like Darius does not keep starting new ones.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I wish I could stick to one project like Darius does not keep starting new ones.

Hi

Trouble is there are too many interesting subjects to go at.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

It's weird seeing a coach where the first class section is in the middle as opposed to it being at one end. Was that feature unique to these units?

First Class accommodation was situated in various parts of BR SR EMUs - CEPs had a CK in one of the centre coaches; VEPs and CIGs had sections at the inner ends of the driving coaches; the REPs had a BFK in one of the centre coaches. The 317s were built with a central 1st class section in one of the centre cars. So being at one end certainly wasn't the default 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

It's weird seeing a coach where the first class section is in the middle as opposed to it being at one end. Was that feature unique to these units?

1 minute ago, andyman7 said:

First Class accommodation was situated in various parts of BR SR EMUs - CEPs had a CK in one of the centre coaches; VEPs and CIGs had sections at the inner ends of the driving coaches; the REPs had a BFK in one of the centre coaches. The 317s were built with a central 1st class section in one of the centre cars. So being at one end certainly wasn't the default 

Bet it was comfy though, no bogies underneath the ar$e certainly adds to a smooth ride.

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wow!!!!!

Blimey Clive, thanks for telling me to look at this. Darius has made a most magnificent job of that.

I am certainly not worthy, but then I don't build Smog Carts.

Darius...bleddy brilliant job pal.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had MU8 the bubble car & trailer kit in the late '70s, as a proposed follow-up to the Class 119 I did managed to build, but the arrival of the Lima Class 117 scuppered that as butchering those instead appealed more. However, much as I'd like to see yours completed, I feel the Bachmann and Dapol models have now taken the wind out of those sails. Maybe end of the queue then.

However I see that you have two '3T' DEMU kits, you can build half of the class with those! They're of interest to me due to the make-up - the four 2-car '2H' units 1119-22 were reformed as triples by incorporating former '2EPB' driving trailers from four of the six '3R' Reading - Redhill 'Tadpole' units, which I rode in frequently in the early-mid '70s, although these trailers were often locked out of use, the lack of a corridor connection to the other two 'narrow' vehicles being inconvenient for the guard (of course this meant only half of the train was available to carry passengers!) This gave the '3T's the curious feature of a centre car with a redundant driving cab end overpainted blue, and must have been an irresistible 'mix n match' opportunity for CM to add to his MU kit range with minimal effort.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My vote is for the 4COR next please.

I have happy memories of swaying and bouncing along the Portsmouth line in a selection of these, including the only time I have been genuinely scared on a train when it felt as though Thor had sideswiped the train with his hammer and I swear the 4COR left the rails and dropped back on again, all at around 80MPH!

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Darius43 said:

4-COR it will be - quite fancy this livery.

4-COR motor coach 11161 from unit 3142 at Shepherdswell during The East Kent Railway EMU Gala 15/09/12

Cheers

Darius

No thread yet

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MJI said:

No thread yet

Give me a chance.  Despite what people might think, I do eat, sleep and occasionally work between building railway models.

I also first have to build a couple of buildings for BRM.

Cheers

Darius

PS - just ordered some etched Maunsell grab rails from Roxey Mouldings.

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5