Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

New Years resolutions 2024

Kris

• RMweb Premium

Once again we have reached that time of year when we are meant to make resolutions. So for a bit of fun (remember it's meant to be fun!) what are your modelling resolutions for 2024. 

Towards the end of the year I will try to remember to bump this thread up so that we can review how well we managed or how spectacularly we failed. 

So to start with...

1. Run more trains (no I'm not Avanti)

2. Get my children's layout so that it has no baseboard showing through the scenery (admittedly this is quite close now).

3. Add working signals to my children layout - I have all the bits but do I have the motivation???

4. Spend more time on my own layout.

5. Finally clear out my shed so that I can get at the layouts there.

1. No more pre-orders

2. Prioritise the projects list

3. Make a start on projects...

4. Don't become seduced by "Ohhh! Shiney!!!" (Esp on the 9th, see 1)

5. Eat less

6. Exercise more

7. Etc...

See how long that lot lasts, eh?

• Like 4

Just get things running!

That may not sound like much, but this is my fourth attempt at a layout in 30 years, all the previous ones being aborted for “wheel of opportunity” reasons (space, time and money all needing to coincide, and not doing so). Target this time was the end of 2023 and was going well till Lady Whizz became ill in the Summer. Even so, today I am closer than at any point in that 30 years, so fingers crossed this time …

• Friendly/supportive 3

Hi,

My ambition is to actually achieve something! Unfortunately I have my own "Road to Hell" plenty of good intentions but little real progress. 

The need for Procrastination has to be reduced to an absolute minimum! I remember once coming across a description (Probably by Mr Freezer) of the "armchair modeller"! Sadly it fitted like a glove!

I'm running out of excuses, I have the time! I have the rolling stock etc.! Very little need for expenditure (after 'Collecting' for all these years) Just the impetus is lacking. 

Sadly I allow minor bumps in the road to become reasons to "Pause for Thought"! (back to the armchair).

Good luck to all for 2024, May you all arrive in December and say "That was a Good year".

Regards

David.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

For me, it's to fill the control panel for my station with all of the electrickery necessary to make it (and hence the entire layout) fully operational. It's the one on the right of these two:

20231127_173257.jpg.534409ad1267fc8307ce6697c9049b80.jpg

On the plus side, I did manage to get all of the point motors for the station installed a couple of days ago, as motivation for this task.

• Like 3

1. Keep working on the scenery.

2. Replace that dodgy point motor that I've been putting off doing for ages because it happens to be the one in the most awkward possible place!

3. Get round to weathering some of all those nice new wagons I've bought recently.

4. Be a bit more selective about what I buy.

5. Add some more track to the fiddle yard so I've got space for more of the wagons I've already bought.

• Like 1

Well last year I didn't move into my new railway room, so I'll try this year. 

Again, more wagons projects need to get through to completion before I start others and I must stop buying more projects. 

This means I will also be making stock boxes.  

There's a heap of weathering to do and a couple of projects for friends that have been stalled for a while to get finished. 

Stop buying more stuff, but with some of the Albert Modell releases on the horizon this could be difficult. 

Maybe be a bit more selective on where my modelling budget goes.

I may even start a layout this year.

Non modelling stuff, is to move more to get generally fitter. 

Andy

• Like 1