The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

Some of you may be interested to know that Sebastian Vettel has announced his return to F1.

He'll be driving for McLaren at the upcoming Emilio Romagna Grand Prix in Imola.

Alright, it's 'only' a demonstration run in Senna's 1993 McLaren MP4/8, but that's still a return to F1, right?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

Missed this race the same as many others thus year. However, after hearing the result I made sure to avoid hearing 'how' Lando had won and caught up today. 

My biggest takeaway is that Lando won on pace. Yes the safety car helped but Cashtappen couldn't immediately overtake and dropped back. I've read reports since that Red Bull are claiming that there was floor damage. However, I personally feel a lot happier that we may have some more competition.

I'm going to say here that yes Mercedes had its golden patch. But at least two cars run off into the distance and they allowed them to race. Then we got the rest slowly catching up and got some interteam battles. It wasn’t quite as clear cut who would win each race as it has been recently.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Missed this race the same as many others thus year. However, after hearing the result I made sure to avoid hearing 'how' Lando had won and caught up today. 

My biggest takeaway is that Lando won on pace. Yes the safety car helped but Cashtappen couldn't immediately overtake and dropped back. I've read reports since that Red Bull are claiming that there was floor damage. However, I personally feel a lot happier that we may have some more competition.

I am pretty sure that Norris would have struggled to pass Verstappen. We have all seen that catching is a lot easier than passing, unless you have the Honda (sorry, RBPT) engine in the back.

Norris was on much newer tyres, so their pace difference was partly due to tyres.

I hate to see safety cars interfere with the race, but Verstappen has benefitted from them far more times than he has lost out. It is not 'strategy' either, unless you arrange WHEN an incident will being one out, We saw in Singapore '08 that this can be done & who knows if it has been since? That is 1 reason I do not like them interfering.

It seems Verstappen had an issue with his car late in the race. That would almost certainly be from when he mis-judged a corner & rode the kerb, removing a bollard in the process. I do not care who it is, leaving the track should be penalised in some way & this seems like a 'natural' penalty.

• Like 3

Lando was the fastest on track before the pit stops started and was still fastest when most had switched to the hards. 

Granted, he may well have struggled to pass Crashtappen. However, he put himself into the correct position to capitalise on any safety car on merit and successfully pulled away from his rival after it.

Like I mentioned, it gives me a glimmer of hope for more than just one person winning all the time. 

• Like 5

I note that Max was in the lead after the race - to be the first to congratulate Lando.  No surprises to see nearly all the other "senior" drivers going to offer their congratulations too.

Lando comes across as a thoroughly nice guy - he's always appeared to get on with team-mates in a sport where rivalry often gets between drivers.  I know that the Safety Car was instrumental, but Lando was able to pull clear of Max after the restart and extend the lead - hopefully an indication that the upgrades introduced have closed the gap to Red Bull.

A long anticipated and well-deserved win for Lando.  Here's hoping that Oscar can also reach the top step (in a full race) in 2024.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

I think the real lesson from this race is we need more bollards for Max to run over…

That or Checho needs get his timing sharper. 😀

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 08/05/2024 at 15:47, LNERandBR said:

i find it quite ironic that the safety car that benefitted Lando's pit stop was caused by MV's bollard antics.

edit - it wasn't see a few posts below. (Ta Pete)

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, didcot said:

IMG-20240513-WA0000.jpg.27390864247360de7a3da0072d14889d.jpg

The windy city will do nothing for the aero package 

IMG-20240513-WA0001.jpg

Is it the 1st April, or will F1 become an American series?

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Is it the 1st April, or will F1 become an American series?

I was just thinking along the same lines. Are they going to cram in yet another race into the season or drop a race from somewhere else?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 11/05/2024 at 20:58, newbryford said:

i find it quite ironic that the safety car that benefitted Lando's pit stop was caused by MV's bollard antics.

No it wasn't.

A virtual safety car was used to recover the bollard. That was quite short. Norris benefitted from the full safety car, which was deployed after a collision between Kevin Magnussen & Logan Sargeant.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, didcot said:

Mercedes only have the one seat available and they will be targetting Vertstappen or Sainz I would imagine.

33 minutes ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Has he re-signed because he knows Adrian Newey is heading there, not Ferrari?

Where else would be go, he's not going to go back to any RB affiliated team, Ferrari and McLaren don't have seats and neither does Aston.

He might as well stay where he is appreciated and the team do have a plan to move up the grid.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Where else would be go, he's not going to go back to any RB affiliated team, Ferrari and McLaren don't have seats and neither does Aston.

He might as well stay where he is appreciated and the team do have a plan to move up the grid.

It didn’t really work out for him at Red Bull, and hasn’t result wise for George or loyalty wise for Carlos jumping to the hot ticket either. 

He’s seen Lando benefit from staying where he’s happy so possibly he thinks that’s his best bet for the future rather than the volatility of hot seats. Like Nic Hulkenberg you can make a pretty decent living being dependable over time. Considering the battering of ups and downs he’s had and having a good basic setup where he’s appreciated it seems like a very smart choice to build a solid reputation and let the new regs settle. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I cant see why he needs a manager , I would have thought he was smart enough

to take care of his own negotiations , he's been in the game long enough .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2