The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I cant see why he needs a manager , I would have thought he was smart enough

to take care of his own negotiations , he's been in the game long enough .

Because of the legal aspect, Newey likes to get on with the technical task without distractions so he leaves the small print side to someone well versed in the hidden clauses.
Looks like it’s worked well too as he’s not got the gardening leave pause most have to take before joining another team. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I think Newey is smart enough to realise he’s in a position where he can dictate the terms and he’s said he’s in the fortunate position of not needing to work, just do it because he enjoys it. So why not pay someone to do the part of it he has no interest in? 
I’d say that’s his experience of ‘the game’ talking 👍

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

FP3 has produced some drama, with both Alonso and Perez crashing, and the McLarens ending up fastest, ahead of the Ferraris and George. Max has not had the usual sort of weekend so far. 

• Like 5

On 02/05/2024 at 22:03, StuAllen said:

Couldn’t resist posting this 

I thought Tsunoda on the podium was a step too far - but that was before Q2 yesterday.

Let's hope that the trend towards the whole grid being more competitive continues!

• Like 3

I must admit I've just shed a few years watching Seb going round the track in Senna's Mclaren. Lovely tribute to both Senna and Ratzenburger.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

To me, Imola is an overrated “classic” track - it has some history sure but rarely yields an entertaining race. 

piastri’s grid penalty killed what could have been a very interesting 2 McLarens vs Max.

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see the return of the gravel, second best enforcer of track limits to wet grass.

Lando was launching that thing through the curbs like a GT driver by the end.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

That was a great race, good to see that RB are not romping away with the wins, and best of all that it is McLaren that are hot on their heels.

• Like 3

I think I like it more because it's not predictable. Whilst fluo orange and white always looks cool (and I'm a sucker for the 99 Focus WRC in fluorescent Martini) I've always been a fan of yellow things, particularly yellow F1 cars.

Jo

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2024 at 14:51, didcot said:

IMG-20240516-WA0009.jpg.bc174873698a72b7ba8ebde975ad43a8.jpg

Sebastian Vettel organised a Ratzenburger/Senna event today at Imola. He provided all the T shirts and other items for the drivers. I guess Max didn't get the memo as he isn't wearing his T shirt.

Well done Seb.

Apparently Maxs shirt was stolen.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I think I like it more because it's not predictable. Whilst fluo orange and white always looks cool (and I'm a sucker for the 99 Focus WRC in fluorescent Martini) I've always been a fan of yellow things, particularly yellow F1 cars.

80s Renaults and Lotuses (or was it 90s for the Lotus?) must hit the spot then!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Reorte said:

80s Renaults and Lotuses (or was it 90s for the Lotus?) must hit the spot then!

Absolutely! Whilst as a kid it was the Jordans that ticked the yellow box, especially offset nicely with the black, but some of those 80s schemes were ace!

Jo

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Steadfast said:

Absolutely! Whilst as a kid it was the Jordans that ticked the yellow box, especially offset nicely with the black, but some of those 80s schemes were ace!

How could I have forgotten the Jordans! I've even got a yellow Scalextric Jordan somewhere. When I think of Jordan my imagination usually goes to their original 7-Up sponsored green livery.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

How could I have forgotten the Jordans! I've even got a yellow Scalextric Jordan somewhere. When I think of Jordan my imagination usually goes to their original 7-Up sponsored green livery.

The 7-Up livery Jordan is where Michael Schumacher got his first seat in Formula One at the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix. An interesting 'butterfly effect' would have been if Bertrand Gachot did not spray CS gas at a London cab driver. Gachot got an 18 month sentence but only served 2 months after an appeal.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Invicta Informant said:

The 7-Up livery Jordan is where Michael Schumacher got his first seat in Formula One at the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix. An interesting 'butterfly effect' would have been if Bertrand Gachot did not spray CS gas at a London cab driver. Gachot got an 18 month sentence but only served 2 months after an appeal.

Gachot has since alleged that Eddie Jordan put the taxicab driver up to it in order to get Michael Schumacher into the car - which, to be honest, isn’t outside the realm of possibility considering Eddie.

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/05/2024 at 14:40, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Interesting; I think I would have preferred a throwback to the red/white fag packet livery of the Senna era, but I quite understand why that might not be acceptable these days.

I think the original orange/white colours would have looked awesome. As to being acceptable, it's just a set of colours on the car, there would be no branding and modern fag packets are all black with gross pictures of diseased body parts, so no link there. Thankfully Seb kept his Mp4/8 in proper colours.

• Like 3