Hornby 2024 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dan Griffin said:

The whole thing just seemed so.. underwhelming. It lacked the ‘pizzazz’ of past announcements. There didn’t seem any enthusiasm from the guy presenting and just read the descriptions word for word was off putting. Maybe i’m just used to SK’s delivery but still. 
and is it me or has every year for the past few years been ‘catch up year’? 
Another thing, with the mid year announcements will stop me buying the catalogues now, same with Bachmann. Whats the point in spending a tenner on a catalogue in January of by April its out of date. 

TBH, the catalogue hasn't borne much resemblance to reality for years.

I ceased to see any point in spending a tenner one January knowing at heart that half the new items in it still wouldn't have turned up before the next edition was out!.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 4

I briefly got my hopes up when the Polly/Nellie/Connie models were shown, and wondered if they'd done 3D scans of a surviving body as a re-tool.  There's a nice item in the latest issue of the Collector looking at the final 'playtrains' version of the body in the 1980's.  I don't think the Nellie body will fit the current 0-4-0 chassis anyway, in fact I think I read in one of Pat Hammonds books that it was the development of the newer chassis (with its Scalextric motor) that led to the downgrade of the Nellie tank loco to the push-along toy range, and the development of the "Smokey Joe" and 101 to replace it.  Not sure I'm bothered about seeing it reborn as the 'Not Thomas' loco which is probably my least favourite of the 0-4-0 tank loco designs.

I'd guess the Nellie moulds were pretty worn out and probably went in the purge anyway.  I did think it was a pity that so many Rovex/Triang era moulds were junked (though we're lucky some have survived, like the Singles)... it would have been nice for an iconic model like the Lightweight DMU to be revived for the anniversary year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

TBH, the catalogue hasn't borne much resemblance to reality for years.

I ceased to see any point in spending a tenner one January knowing at heart that half the new items in it still wouldn't have turned up before the next edition was out!.

It’s become more of a wish list nowadays, just wondering will the new catalog have blank pages?  to place stickers in when the second announcement is made later in the year. 

• Like 1

I've caught up with the Airfix annoucements and it's interesting to compare the approaches within the same company.   Lots of recently tooled Airfix models being re-released after a few years away with new markings or additional parts, especially those where Ebay prices have been going up, so there must be an eye on the market somewhere.

Obviously there is a difference in how things are produced between Airfix and Hornby (not to mention pricing), but the Airfix side seem to have a handle on keeping the most common/favourites on the shelves with updates to encourage repeat sales of the same 'evergreen' base models.  I don't see that with Hornby, and the requests for repeats of common models from recent years  (Mark 2s, Class 31s, HST variations etc) seems to come up again and again.

Edited by 41516
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 298 said:

Well I've had a good look through but still can't find the usual hidden tributes to a rock band, apart from the Beatles vans. 

The Nellie tributes are a bit odd, what ever happened to the new body that was on the most recent TV series? Or getting another Junior designer to do one that actually looked like the old Nellie? The chosen one looks to have origins as the 0-4-0 Thomas. 

I'm beginning to think they were thinking of doing the B4 and Dapol beat them to it, so it was a useful 'how we developed a mdel' for telly.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

Also interesting that there's an acceptance that there is life outside the Hornby Eco system.  Could be good news for HM7000...

You mean sound projects for locos of other manufacturers? They've been talking about doing those for some time (even SK said it IIRC) and it was reiterated in the Q&A but they need to complete the ones for Hornby locos first, which is going to take a while - it sounded like there are only two bodies working in that department.

Edited by Porfuera

21 minutes ago, farren said:

It’s become more of a wish list nowadays, just wondering will the new catalog have blank pages?  to place stickers in when the second announcement is made later in the year. 

Sure Beatties used to do something like this when I was a lad!

Edited by rovex
Rogue Spellchecker
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thing with Airfix is they've just got to provide the sprues full of parts, no assembly, no painting, adding details, no delicate packaging. Bag the sprues, drop in the printed instructions and put the lid on the box. Job done!  Keeping the popular lines stocked up on the shelves is easy.

Hornby have a more complicated production process, resulting in an RTR model.

As for the B4, I don't think it was ever intended for production and the Nellie, Connie and Polly locos are traversties of the originals. I expect a green no 27 will pop up sooner or later!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, Porfuera said:

Sound projects for locos of other manufacturers? They've been talking about doing those for some time and it was reiterated in the Q&A but they need to complete the ones for Hornby locos first, which is going to take a while - it sounded like there are only two bodies working in that department.

I think thats where they need to encompass licensing and partnerships.  There are good sound files available for most locos, why reinvent the wheel?  I'm sure there's a mechanism to make it chargeable for products outside of the Hornby range 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, rovex said:

Sure Beatties used to do something like this when I was a lad!

@Phil Parker and I were reminiscing about them last week, he's still completing his. You had to be a club member to get the extra stickers through the year. Didn't tell you much but I liked it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, farren said:

As a kid one of my friends had a Scrap Book. When he bought a new loco or rolling stock he cut out a photo of the from one of the magazines and added it to the book, along with the date and amount paid. Bit like collecting football stickers etc. So technically he bought the contents of the entire catalogue 🤣

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, NTrains said:

Does anyone know what happened to the Sound P2 Prince of Wales? Seems to have vanished into the ether! Many thanks.

edit: product code R3983SS

He got upgraded to a king

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

An update on most outstanding items - but not the TPE802 amongst a few others.

Has it gone back again?

Wondering if if the dates are just missed off the image and they are due between May and August as the GWR 802 is still showing as due in the spring on the website.

I was at Locomotion at Shildon on the 3rd and was looking at Locomotion No.1 and thought to myself, I wonder if Hornby will do a model of it for the Stockton and Darlington 200th in 2025... and was pleasantly surprised to see that this morning!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Markwj said:

Watched the announcement video (wished I hadn't) -are the mk 3's the former oxford ones, I don't recall the Hornby models having that detail at the ends and the coupling is different (I think)?

mark

They retooled the Mk3 a couple of years back starting with the sliding door (GWR/Cross Country/Scotrail) ones before doing the slam door versions in at last Midland Pullman and East Midlands Trains liveries.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 43055 said:

Wondering if if the dates are just missed off the image and they are due between May and August as the GWR 802 is still showing as due in the spring on the website.

They did say in the live Q&A that they had paint colour issues with the TPE 802 and had just received new painted samples.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Oh look another model with nice fragile wires ready to split or maybe the tender is permanently coupled unlike Rocket

image.png

You seem to have a particular axe to grind about the model of Locomotion given your multiple negative posts about it.

Surely it's better to wait and see how it is when finished, or at least more advanced, than automatically condemn it at such an early stage?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, newbryford said:

They did say in the live Q&A that they had paint colour issues with the TPE 802 and had just received new painted samples.

18 minutes ago, 43055 said:

due may 24 according to this list; https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/News/Hornby-releases-update-on-2023-announcements

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, neal said:

Compared to Airfix and Scalextric announcements, this does seem somewhat understated.

After yesterday’s news I feel bad for our hobby,

Neal

Most of the Airfix announcements are just re-releases though; there only seem to be one or two new toolings.  In the warships range for instance, Iron Duke and Ajax both date from the 1960s.  

• Like 1