Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2024 range announcements

AY Mod

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Pretty much. Have you seen the new Thomas?

🤢🤮

And one of the ajoining videos shows that even battle space range would not give kids this much fun:

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sjcm said:

...not much serious starter stuff for those slightly older...

This begs the question, what would be the models at the core of a potential set?

I saw the end of steam and Triang was disappointing because there wasn't a heavy goods like the 8F 2-8-0 in the hideously expensive H-D range.

Now that item obviously won't cut it today , but what are the likely current equivalents to attract someone young interested in the railway? Ten - perhaps twelve years ago, Hornby knocked out the Javelin, and that was just what the 8 year old of my acquaintance wanted. He's midway through an engineering apprenticeship now.

Then again, the 7 y.o. daughter of a friend has an N2 and N7 and dribbles at my B12/3. Her grandparents live a little West of Sheringham so she knows the NNR...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

This begs the question, what would be the models at the core of a potential set?

I saw the end of steam and Triang was disappointing because there wasn't a heavy goods like the 8F 2-8-0 in the hideously expensive H-D range.

Now that item obviously won't cut it today , but what are the likely current equivalents to attract someone young interested in the railway? Ten - perhaps twelve years ago, Hornby knocked out the Javelin, and that was just what the 8 year old of my acquaintance wanted. He's midway through an engineering apprenticeship now.

Then again, the 7 y.o. daughter of a friend has an N2 and N7 and dribbles at my B12/3. Her grandparents live a little West of Sheringham so she knows the NNR...

The itraveller 0-4-0 diesel set is half-way there to a point as it has the new phone technology (albeit DC), but there's nothing to the lay-out. if they can knock that out for 80 pounds, then a layout with a better model with some actual interest with the track and buildings for 160 pounds should be possible

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sjcm said:

The itraveller 0-4-0 diesel set is half-way there to a point as it has the new phone technology (albeit DC), but there's nothing to the lay-out. if they can knock that out for 80 pounds, then a layout with a better model with some actual interest with the track and buildings for 160 pounds should be possible

I haven't kept up with current offer. But, in the recent past Hornby did various starter packs that were restricted to sale by individual large catalogue companies such as Argos. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Why stop at pancake motors? Why not go all the way back and just make everything clockwork?
That way we eliminate the need for track power! It's a win-win! 😉

I hope that is a joke. 

2 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I thought that was obvious to be honest 😄

I'm a firm believer in the hobby looking forward, not backward.

I can see where you are coming from, and its not a backward step i can assure you. my lima fleet runs perfectly due to some simple modifications thats all. 

5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

From the bottom of that item listing:

Additional Items Required (NOT INCLUDED)
- Baseboard (PLY) size 1320mm x 1020mm x 10mm)
- PVA glue
- Humbrol 32 Dark grey paint (or any dark grey paint or painting trackbed)
- OO scale

I can just imagine someone looking at that list and then going into a shop and saying "I want to buy an OO scale, please". 🙂

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Sjcm said:

I just think once you get past the Thomas pre-school age, kids want an approximation on what possibly their dads have - the same things we want - technology, accuracy, stuff to do.  multi-coloured plastic  tat trains with coco-cola on the side going round in a circle isn't going to interest them

Thomas & friends in the snow

jeez I’ll scrub some numbers off my birthday 

IMG_6135.jpeg.2a21a4977d63c369cb147e94d7e7f1ad.jpeg

5 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Why stop at pancake motors? Why not go all the way back and just make everything clockwork?
That way we eliminate the need for track power! It's a win-win! 😉

Wngm garden meet Jul 21

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Confession: 

I like the Beatles wagons, but then I grew up listening to the Beatles whilst going to visit the RH&D...

And the wagons are great fun, in fact endless fun in the shunting layout:

First put in alphabetical order.

Then in order of Release Date.

Then in alphabetical order of First Track.

Then in order of Album Running Time...

Then, for want of an argument:  In order of Best To Least Best...

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

Confession: 

I like the Beatles wagons, but then I grew up listening to the Beatles whilst going to visit the RH&D...

And the wagons are great fun, in fact endless fun in the shunting layout:

First put in alphabetical order.

Then in order of Release Date.

Then in alphabetical order of First Track.

Then in order of Album Running Time...

Then, for want of an argument:  In order of Best To Least Best...

That would be a good competition for a layout at an exhibition !

• Agree 1

On 12/01/2024 at 17:06, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

And put the models being photographed on superior sceniced track, rather than your own tawdry product

Many of us will remember the first Airfix model railway catalogue in 1975--76 that had photographs resembling those in RM or MRC, whilst Hornby and Palitoy still used 'toy train' layouts that certainly didn't do the latter's products justice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Many of us will remember the first Airfix model railway catalogue in 1975--76 that had photographs resembling those in RM or MRC, whilst Hornby and Palitoy still used 'toy train' layouts that certainly didn't do the latter's products justice.

Example  (if you scroll down)  http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/ARSyscat2A.htm

• Like 2

Watching the Q&A stream made me wonder who is behind the modern image models coming from Hornby, because all three of the gents at the table seemed very interested in talking about Locomotion, and a select number of other steam locomotives, and very disinterested in the gorgeous FLIRT and colourful LUMO sat on the table in front of them.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elmtree-line said:

Watching the Q&A stream made me wonder who is behind the modern image models coming from Hornby, because all three of the gents at the table seemed very interested in talking about Locomotion, and a select number of other steam locomotives, and very disinterested in the gorgeous FLIRT and colourful LUMO sat on the table in front of them.  

Thought that as well. Some lengthy questions about the Steam models were answered in great detail but a lot of the questions about modern image were either greeted with a 'we'll get back to you' or 'it hasn't been decided/developed'. For example I asked about the livery application of the FGW 153, recent Scotrail releases have had quite a variable quality of the transfers applied that make up the livery. I asked, 'Would it be tampo printed or a transfer for the FGW model', the reply was 'still in development', for a model due in spring 2024. That being said I thought the Q&A format was enjoyable, maybe doing some more throughout the year with the designers for a certain era or projects? Would be nice to be able to understand parts of the manufacturing and research process that is often unseen and be able to have the very people who are experts in model design explain this for a specific modelling time period or selected products. 

• Like 1

I've come back to the hobby fairly recently after many years and have small kids. To be honest I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of mass market train sets and Railroad stuff that Hornby is still producing, given how much less popular model railways are compared to the 80s. 

Two stand outs for me in the 2024 Railroad launch: 

The 0-4-0 Bagnall diesel shunter at £35. This is a price cut - other recent Bagnalls have been £46. 

The Class 47 with HM7000 TXS sound for £120. Does any other manufacturer's DCC sound loco come close on price? 

I do think Hornby are missing a trick by not including an HM7000 train set in the range. The Red Rover modern freight set would be ideal to upgrade - loads of room in the Class 67 for decoder and speaker and it has lights already. 

It's also striking to me how before this week there was a steady drumbeat of criticism of Hattons as an "evil" mainly online retailer undercutting plucky local model shops. Yet now that Hattons are on the way out there's a great outpouring of support. 🤔

The reaction to the Hornby launch strikes me as similar - a lot of dissatisfaction and very little thankfulness that they're still in business at all, making a broad range of models and even producing some new ones.

If Hornby go bust, and let's face it, the market outlook is pretty awful for a mass market model railway manufacturer, then the OO landscape will look radically different. I wager there'll be a great outpouring of affection and all will suddenly be forgiven. Plus a lot of armchair commentary explaining how Hornby could obviously have saved themselves if they'd done x, y or z. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 13/01/2024 at 18:03, JSpencer said:

🤢🤮

And one of the ajoining videos shows that even battle space range would not give kids this much fun:

I prefer the original live action models of Britt Allcrofts 1984 television adaptation for ITV! (I have the DVD releases) Even the 2000s CGI is an improvement the locomotives rolling stock etc look nothing like the originals unfortunately! I don't know why HIT Entertainment changed this!  It looks more like Thomas and Friends meets Chuggington! The new 2020s television adaptation "Thomas and Friends All Engines Go",  yes please go back to live action models! Also next year is the eightieth anniversary of "The Railway Series" of books (I have the 70th edition boxset of original mini books it's absolutely beautiful!) by Rev W Awdry 80th birthday in 2025. That should be interesting! I was disappointed that Hornby discontinued Thomas and Friends. Thankfully I did get the final run of models from 2015 and 2016 Thomas, (and the 70th matalic edition one) Edward, Henry, Gordon, James, Percy, troublesome trucks, Annie, Clarabel wagons pack 1 and 2 James coaches Gordon's coaches, Old Slow Coach etc.

Screenshot_20240114-140043_X.jpg

Screenshot_20240114-135937_X.jpg

Screenshot_20240114-135953_X.jpg

Screenshot_20240114-140100_X.jpg

Edited by RyanN91
Fast typing causes typos! Percy not Perry!
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have such fond memories of the original Nellie and sisters. If Hornby had been able to produce the original models, I would have been there in the queue to buy one or two. Unfortunately I suspect that it's just not possible to reproduce the past from such a long time ago, no more X04 motors for a start.

Unfortunately the modern incarnations of Nellie et al just don't float my boat at all, but I still have a soft spot for their 'Bagnall' diesel shunter. Seems very similar to one they used to produce at around the same time as the original Nellies (and I think used to use the same 0-4-0 chassis as well?).

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I have such fond memories of the original Nellie and sisters. If Hornby had been able to produce the original models, I would have been there in the queue to buy one or two. Unfortunately I suspect that it's just not possible to reproduce the past from such a long time ago, no more X04 motors for a start.

If the motor was the only issue I would think that could have been worked around. I presume the toolings were amongst those that got skipped in a clear out some years ago.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Metropolitan said:

Am I imaging it or do I correctly recall that, some years ago, Hornby announced that they were bringing production of their models back to the UK? What happened?

If they did, I imagine they took one look at how much it would increase costs and immediately dropped the idea 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, NotofthiscenturyTim said:

I've come back to the hobby fairly recently after many years and have small kids. To be honest I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of mass market train sets and Railroad stuff that Hornby is still producing, given how much less popular model railways are compared to the 80s. 

Two stand outs for me in the 2024 Railroad launch: 

The 0-4-0 Bagnall diesel shunter at £35. This is a price cut - other recent Bagnalls have been £46. 

The Class 47 with HM7000 TXS sound for £120. Does any other manufacturer's DCC sound loco come close on price? 

I do think Hornby are missing a trick by not including an HM7000 train set in the range. The Red Rover modern freight set would be ideal to upgrade - loads of room in the Class 67 for decoder and speaker and it has lights already. 

It's also striking to me how before this week there was a steady drumbeat of criticism of Hattons as an "evil" mainly online retailer undercutting plucky local model shops. Yet now that Hattons are on the way out there's a great outpouring of support. 🤔

The reaction to the Hornby launch strikes me as similar - a lot of dissatisfaction and very little thankfulness that they're still in business at all, making a broad range of models and even producing some new ones.

If Hornby go bust, and let's face it, the market outlook is pretty awful for a mass market model railway manufacturer, then the OO landscape will look radically different. I wager there'll be a great outpouring of affection and all will suddenly be forgiven. Plus a lot of armchair commentary explaining how Hornby could obviously have saved themselves if they'd done x, y or z. 

i think you have hit the nail on the head.....i really don't understand the Hornby bashing, they do something no other manufacture does (Bachmann to a much lesser degree). I've said so many times, come on new boys lets see how you get on providing a full model railway product range, from high end models to proper budget stuff, sound, digital command, all the track work, all the scenery (including scatter etc), buildings, you name it they do it. That's a huge under taking, just think of the management needed behind it to out put all that, let alone the design work (even re-livery's require an element of design, sign off etc), and then be expected to delivery new stuff in all that every year, across all budgets, how the hell do you decide what to do for the best. You are bound to drop the ball on some of it.

It's allot easier to produce a handful of high end products (your internal project delivery, skill sets etc are all baselined) and be lorded for it. I don't know the new boys make great products but when you can focus your researchers, designers, PM activities on a handful of stuff makes life allot easier.

As for Hattons, forums are full of people who write stuff to suit their agenda at that point of time, short memories and glass houses spring to mind, oh and  hypocrite.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Metropolitan said:

Am I imaging it or do I correctly recall that, some years ago, Hornby announced that they were bringing production of their models back to the UK? What happened?

Some items, it was only really Airfix Quick Build but that's moved overseas so it's only Humbrol paint as far as I know.  No Hornby products.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2