End of Warley National Show - but now it's not the end of a show at the NEC.

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Nope, no wiser. Just carry on, chaps, I'll catch up later (perhaps).

😉 After a fair bit of worrying on threads and doom in the media Andy’s note that the trade were quick to want to join in, which kinda says shows are good for them, is rather good. So I was just riffing on if that level of demand is the doom of the hobby what on earth would success be like?!? 
Just a bit bemused at the amount of angst when my experience and that of friends in the trade is much more like the positive mood Andy got as his phone went a bit mad. 

As I noted earlier I’m not a fan of the KEY get your own accommodation idea as costs mount up scarily fast if you do several shows a year, and yes I’ve been on the sharp end of organising that for our club shows, but it doesn’t deter me from wanting to see what they are trying as a punter. Unfortunately a clash with our show and work on the Sunday so I’ll miss that one but I will be heading there in November for this good news. 

I’ll look forward to November and 🤞 they can squeeze in some continental stuff to show a similar breadth to the previous incarnation 😀 

One other suggestion, cake box challenge live 🥳

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It is now more than a decade, I believe, since Warners stepped in to avoid Andy Y going broke. At the time, there were defections and much muttering that this would be the end of RMweb as we had known it. Wrong. It has grown in strength and quality, albeit with a slightly different emphasis evolving among the much-increased membership. 

The body-blows of the first couple of weeks of this year, with the demise of the Warley show and then Hattons, coupled with news of a number of more modest businesses closing, have inevitably played to the prejudices of the doom-sayers. Now, again, Warners are stepping in to shore-up an annual event that had achieved legendary status in 'private' hands.

My only concern is that even Warners only have so many willing horses at their disposal, and I fear that while the organisation will be a success - and widespread trade support is wonderful news - running a web forum, editing a magazine and organising an exhibition of this high order is going to flog those horses within an inch of....

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

16 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

My only concern is that even Warners only have so many willing horses at their disposal, and I fear that while the organisation will be a success - and widespread trade support is wonderful news - running a web forum, editing a magazine and organising an exhibition of this high order is going to flog those horses within an inch of....

fraser.gif.17156f9111d7f7378246ded9121add42.gif

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• Moderators
1 minute ago, LaGrange said:

Meanwhile at the NEC........

warley new friend.JPG

😁

I should just comment that there ain't no beef between Warners and Warley. 😁

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Obviously very early days, and much info still to be given, but I do wonder if the balance that Warley did of layouts/exhibits/traders can be maintained?

Aside from that, I'm very glad that a national show will still happen each year. I thought we might get it back, but didn't think it would be this year.

Many thanks to Warners and Andy.

😊

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

😁

I should just comment that there ain't no beef between Warners and Warley. 😁

Wasnt insinuating there was, actually a reasonable decision, can feel their pain regarding show organisation, easier herding cats really

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I do wonder if the balance that Warley did of layouts/exhibits/traders can be maintained?

We hope to be able to give a clearer picture in due course but it's a given that the venue costs, electrics, accommodation,  insurance, exhibitor travel etc. will be more costly than previous times whether it was Warley or us.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

We hope to be able to give a clearer picture in due course but it's a given that the venue costs, electrics, accommodation,  insurance, exhibitor travel etc. will be more costly than previous times whether it was Warley or us.

Shall we just leave Andy and the Team to get on with it?   I'm sure that when there are things to tell us, we will be "the first to know".

• Like 8
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Warley club did what was right for them. Fundamentally the philosophy was always to have over 90 layouts and run at a fairly thin margin. Warners will do what is right for them. The national exhibition will almost certainly be a bit different under Warners but I’m confident it will still be a great event. 
It will feel very strange for me being a paying visitor after 30 years working mostly in the side offices during the weekend of the show. Now I’m on the outside I promise not to moan about the cost of car parking. In fact I can get to the NEC for free on my old bu&&ers bus pass which is also good on West Midlands trains.

• Like 10
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

It is now more than a decade, I believe, since Warners stepped in to avoid Andy Y going broke. At the time, there were defections and much muttering that this would be the end of RMweb as we had known it. Wrong. It has grown in strength and quality, albeit with a slightly different emphasis evolving among the much-increased membership. 

The body-blows of the first couple of weeks of this year, with the demise of the Warley show and then Hattons, coupled with news of a number of more modest businesses closing, have inevitably played to the prejudices of the doom-sayers. Now, again, Warners are stepping in to shore-up an annual event that had achieved legendary status in 'private' hands.

That is the job of the folks in the various departments, they get told what to do, and do it.  It's what they get paid to do, unlike club exhibitions which are organised by volunteers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, NBL said:

That is the job of the folks in the various departments, they get told what to do, and do it.  It's what they get paid to do, unlike club exhibitions which are organised by volunteers.

Oh, that's alright then. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I understand that concern Ian but there is a real difference between an exhibition run by amateurs (no matter how good they are) doing what they can in their free time and paid professionals who will be allocated so many hours in their work schedule to achieve various objectives towards the end result.   Those hours being adjusted as necessary as the project progresses.  

That does not mean however that this will be easy.  there will be problems to sole and issues to resolve but as Andy has already said they have people in their team versed in staging exhibition stands.

Edited by Andy Hayter
Bl**dy computer keyboard
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, NBL said:

Must stress I have no knowledge of the Warley Club and it’s members (“fine body of people” I’m sure!) but as an observation of my experience in life, it is often simpler to manage employees than it is volunteers.

Employees, in the end, pretty much have to do as they’re told.  Volunteers feel they are fully entitled to have a mind of their own, and to use it; and if they don’t like what they’re being told to they do have an unfortunate tendency to walk out. 

I suppose that’s the price you may have to pay for them being ‘cheap’!  In that context, let us all be grateful the wheels were kept on the Warley wagon for all those years. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 09/02/2024 at 21:56, slow8dirty said:

Blimey, the SWAG members day's growing beyond recognition🤡🤪

. . . . . and there were other meetings before SWAG with the first in 2007 at Mickleover (Derby) - at that time there were only a few hundred members - now almost 45,000 !!

• Like 1

I had a good chat with Phil at the Doncaster show and I filmed it with his promotion and it is a part of my video for the Doncaster show  here is a link to the information about the new NEC show I have the video just before our chat the time stamp  is 20.48 

Richard 

Trains in the attic

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Willie Whizz said:

Must stress I have no knowledge of the Warley Club and it’s members (“fine body of people” I’m sure!) but as an observation of my experience in life, it is often simpler to manage employees than it is volunteers.

Employees, in the end, pretty much have to do as they’re told.  Volunteers feel they are fully entitled to have a mind of their own, and to use it; and if they don’t like what they’re being told to they do have an unfortunate tendency to walk out. 

I suppose that’s the price you may have to pay for them being ‘cheap’!  In that context, let us all be grateful the wheels were kept on the Warley wagon for all those years. 

I guess, but  I do think your last line is ungenerous in the extreme to the Warley club and all its members, not least Paul Jones - I wouldn't myself describe any of them as being "cheap".

Warley and its members didn't just "keep the wheels on the wagon", they invented the idea of the wagon, they designed it, they built  it, and then they drove the glorious great thing  brilliantly for 30 years.

Great news that Warners are taking it on, I think it is a bold move on their part even given their expertise and paid employees, but I also think they stand as much or more chance of "pulling it off" than any other commercial outfit.

Bravo!

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

They shoot horses don't they? However, we do have a whole department very used to holding and administrating large indoor and outdoor events.

Just make sure none of them have previously been involved in organising a clay pigeon shoot, or archery, that sort of caper..

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, PMP said:

Just make sure none of them have previously been involved in organising a clay pigeon shoot, or archery, that sort of caper..

A shooting gallery sounds ideal as an attraction to me. Possibly we’d have to use some sort of soap cannon, people tend to get jittery if you’re using real bullets these days, but some sort of stale comestibles for the rivet counters? 
Yes I think you may be onto something. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, all sounds a bit  too “ice bucket challenge” to me, I’ll never forget Andy’s face at the Ricoh Stadium show. Steve Lamacq at Ricoh was brilliant and the higher demo tables were a really good idea. Blimey, perhaps we’ll see Dave Jones back on the scene again, arf arf…

Edited by Not Jeremy
Fnaar arf
  • Funny 6