RMweb

Accentuate the negative - who's trying to kill the hobby?

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2024 at 19:10, MattR said:

At least here in the U.S.:

Silent Generation: born 1928-1945 (ages 96-79)

Baby Boomers: born 1946-1964 (ages 78-60)

Gen(eration) X: born 1965-1980 (ages 59-43)

Millennials: born 1981-1996 (ages 42-28)

Gen(eration) Z: born 1997-2012 (ages 27-12)

Gen(eration) Alpha: born 2013-present (age 11 and under)

UK
Baby Boomers (1946-1964) ... 

Generation X (1965-1980) ... 

Pillocks (20th May 1975)…

Millennials (1981-1996) ...

Generation Z (1997-2012) ... 

Generation Alpha (2013-2025)

🤪

• Funny 6

43 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm with @2ManySpams on this. 

I exhibit my layouts and the approach I take is to weather the whole layout using the same pallette, locos, stock, buildings, trackwork, everything. 

In fact, thinking back to the exhibitions I attended last year, as an example, I can say that what your describing here, in respect of buildings and ballast,  is the exception, rather than the rule. 

My current layouts and their buildings etc...

20220408_173156-02-01.jpeg.4aace0b88a67fc1424f1d94f11b2a511.jpeg

20220413_161038-01.jpeg.cd30475d4758b560bec9d33e574b0e5a.jpeg

20220418_123408-01.jpeg.4cf2973c7fc315e74bfc48807f027827.jpeg

20230909_114034-05.jpeg.109a44c09bd13d984edd388425713cbd.jpeg

20220619_093705-01-02.jpeg.fc6c34fed4531a8eb4b5086b8d10014c.jpeg

20230707_194516-01.jpeg.42d2dfe20e869e6620e1fb057ba81032.jpeg

20231124_235617-02.jpeg.d2312afc809c6c9856063f38f548bb13.jpeg

Rob

I admire anyone with the patience to create such a vista ! Well done 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/02/2024 at 20:47, jjb1970 said:

The problem with labelling by age and generation is it generally leads to judging people according to which group they sit in. I get the logic in defining generations for statistical analysis and other things, and get defining historic eras but it falls down when people in older age groups are out of touch technophobic bigots who hate outsiders, young people are feckless layabouts who sit around playing games and expect everything on a plate blah blah blah. If such generalizations were applied to gender, race, nationality or other traits they'd rightly be dismissed as prejudiced and hateful but for some reason it seems OK to make sweeping and objectionable generalizations based on age.

I'll quite happily be labelled as "technophobic"! Nothing to be ashamed of there!

The fact is though that there are some common traits that are different between different generations. There always have been and there always will be. Sure, there are also grey areas because you're putting somewhat artificial boundaries on a continuum, but that's the case with a great many things in life. IMO the complete rejection of the idea that some ideas or behaviours or issues are more common with one generation than another makes no more sense than saying it's a feature of everyone in it. Just don't assume they apply to any particular individual.

The ability to make generalisations and to categorise is a basic component of intelligence. As you point out it's useful for things like statistical analysis, but it also means you're not working with a completely blank slate, but like any useful tool it can be misused, and it certainly can't be used as a cast iron guarantee that your assumptions are right.

The only people I saw hanging around outside with bottles of beer during Covid when the pubs were shut were definitely not the younger generations...

Edited by Reorte

Returning to something more akin to the topic heading:

It was suggested this weekend that a manufacturer will be moving a new product currently in pre-order down their production schedule due to low response on pre order interest.. not orders, just interest. in the first few months since announcement.

What and who is irrelevant.. what i find concerning is that we are decending into a position whereby nothings going to get built unless we all rush out and state interest on proposed projects that arent even off the drawing board yet let alone reached EP or the pre build spending stage that we can look at.

What if folk just haven't heard of it yet? Not everyone sits glued to a screen awaiting updates or has a device pinging in their ear with updates hourly... they could be doing something else like modelling all the other stuff the rtr world don't do for example

Is it me or is this all going too far one way now!

Edited by Long Line
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, arran said:

Well if Moderail Scotland's anything to go by the Hobby's on the UP

Regards Arran

Good figures Arran ? Looked very busy on Friday , less busy Sunday . It was very good exhibition though - I did all three days . Interesting on how the demographic changes . Friday , is men of a certain age , Saturday , younger enthusiasts and Sunday families . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Long Line said:

Returning to something more akin to the topic heading:

It was suggested this weekend that a manufacturer will be moving a new product currently in pre-order down their production schedule due to low response on pre order interest.. not orders, just interest. in the first few months since announcement.

What and who is irrelevant.. what i find concerning is that we are decending into a position whereby nothings going to get built unless we all rush out and state interest on proposed projects that arent even off the drawing board yet let alone reached EP or the pre build spending stage that we can look at.

What if folk just haven't heard of it yet? Not everyone sits glued to a screen awaiting updates or has a device pinging in their ear with updates hourly... they could be doing something else like modelling all the other stuff the rtr world don't do for example

Depends on the manufacturer - it's within normal modus operandi for one company, used quite regularly in it's home company but Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan, Dapol and Accurascale don't operate like that.  Smaller companies cannot afford to take risks on marginal products so have to gauge the market sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Long Line said:

Unless this is a model sold solely on pre-orders*, manufacturers already have a good idea of expressions of interest versus actual sales.  I think you read too much into this.

What is clear is that for more esoteric models, buying blind is becoming more and more the norm.  So far I have been lucky (?) and have picked up quite a number of models that would otherwise not have been produced

* In which case I would expect cancellation rather than delay.

• RMweb Gold

So make a kit, or scratchbuild, this obsessing over what is and isn't produced by XYZ manufacturer is, to my mind at least, desperately uninteresting and even depressing.

Are we railway modelling or railway model purchasing?

I know which I prefer....

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

34 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

So make a kit, or scratchbuild, this obsessing over what is and isn't produced by XYZ manufacturer is, to my mind at least, desperately uninteresting and even depressing.

Are we railway modelling or railway model purchasing?

I know which I prefer....

That debate has been done to death . And as we’ve just had a debate on “ labelling “ I’m happy to say that both RTR and kit building is modelling in my eyes .

I tried to get the only train kit of a 12T crane before the hattons thing but it was sold out - am now on waiting list fir next batch 

12 hours ago, rob D2 said:

That debate has been done to death . And as we’ve just had a debate on “ labelling “ I’m happy to say that both RTR and kit building is modelling in my eyes .

I tried to get the only train kit of a 12T crane before the hattons thing but it was sold out - am now on waiting list fir next batch 

If you look up the definition of modelling. one answer is "the activity of making three-dimensional models". So the purchase and use of RTR/RTP items isn't "modelling".

The creation of a layout or diorama. which may enable those purchases to be used however, could be seen as modelling. It depends on how much effort you want to put in. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

If you look up the definition of modelling. one answer is "the activity of making three-dimensional models". So the purchase and use of RTR/RTP items isn't "modelling".

The creation of a layout or diorama. which may enable those purchases to be used however, could be seen as modelling. It depends on how much effort you want to put in. 

Arguably you're buying bits and putting them together regardless, whether it's bits of brass and plastic, or buildings and rolling stock. Do whatever you want to and don't let anyone sneer at you for it - Rule 1 applies!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

On 26/02/2024 at 06:56, arran said:

Well if Moderail Scotland's anything to go by the Hobby's on the UP

Regards Arran

As I was queuing for a ticket, one of the stewards pointed to the crowds and said it was just like Morris dancing.  He explained that Morris dancing used to be dying, but more recent meets have been thriving, with large numbers of women and young people moving into the hobby.

Not sure the analogy really works, but given the amazing RTR models that are now available, and some of the large layouts described here, I do feel that the hobby is thriving.

The FT piece that somebody linked is, I think, slightly different.  Toy makers (Hornby, Lego, Airfix, etc) have pivoted in recent years from selling to children to selling to adults.  South Korea led the way, some years ago.  Western countries have followed.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

As I was queuing for a ticket, one of the stewards pointed to the crowds and said it was just like Morris dancing.  He explained that Morris dancing used to be dying, but more recent meets have been thriving, with large numbers of women and young people moving into the hobby.

Not sure the analogy really works, but given the amazing RTR models that are now available, and some of the large layouts described here, I do feel that the hobby is thriving.

The FT piece that somebody linked is, I think, slightly different.  Toy makers (Hornby, Lego, Airfix, etc) have pivoted in recent years from selling to children to selling to adults.  South Korea led the way, some years ago.  Western countries have followed.

Along with Law Junction we also took the lego to Modelrail "really stretching the club members" for the first time and was busy on the Friday and mobbed the Saturday and Sunday .

It really captures the younger side of those attending imagination , i think one of the reasons its popular even with adults are its not purely a railway but a kids imagination . we also got invites for it down south!!!  

The trader side of me wished we had some Lego railways for sale as we could have sold a dozen for sure .

Regards Arran

IMG_1877.jpg.90f1f68fc43eaa75384041ba30c4f05f.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

We’ve had this debate before , many times , and suffice I’m not going to start it again .

With a large number of members touchy about “ labelling “ , “ pigeon holing”, it’s not where I want to go at all…because it requires such , ill self label myself.

What it comes down to is …time…money….both are in short supply. So in modelling you choose what appeals to you and what you can afford.

I build wagon kits - I don’t enjoy it much. I find it fiddly , frustrating and annoying. The only reason I’ve done it in the past is the wagons I wanted weren’t available RTR, then they were and I stopped ….Am I a “ real “ modeller then ?

I change decals, I have done resprays , I change numbers - this is the part of the hobby that appeals to me …am I a real modeller ?who cares…

I build layouts , mainly small. I get diminishing returns TBH. I only build them to have a realistic back drop for the fantastic RTR we have. I don’t have time to build everything …

So I label myself as a collector , who likes to customise models , and run them in a semi realistic environment .

At the end of the day if I enjoy it that’s enough , that’s the whole point of it and the only point .

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 27/02/2024 at 09:00, Jol Wilkinson said:

Must be difficult to do any modeling yourself whist looking down your nose judging others!

Everyone is entitled to do what they seem fit to do in the hobby it's all toy trains at the end of the day

The rtr loco you buy at shops was a box of kit parts back in China or Wales! Just some one with skill and dexterity made it for you

Edited by bradfordbuffer
Typo as usual
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4