What is the wagon What is the coupling please?

Any ideas what this wagon is please?   And what is the coupling please?    Looks like a lump of iron to attract a magnet and looks like a hook is missing.  Came with a job lot off eBay.      It looks horrible, It has  "Made in England", open axle boxes Triang type coupling bosses but no makers name  more H0 than 00 scale.  I'm just curious, I have never seen one like it before.

DSCN2522.JPG

DSCN2521.JPG

DSCN2519.JPG

It looks home made, though no idea its supposed to work since there's nothing on either end of the wire, it clearly originally had tension lock based on the lugs and screw holes on the ends

Edited by sir douglas
  • Agree 1

OMG   I suppose it could be a collectors item..   I suppose I had better put it on eBay, when I find some tension lock couplings,   Unless anyone on here wants it for the cost of postage.

34 minutes ago, DCB said:

OMG   I suppose it could be a collectors item..   I suppose I had better put it on eBay, when I find some tension lock couplings,   Unless anyone on here wants it for the cost of postage.

It certainly had Tri-ang tension-lock couplings at some point - though I too have never seen its like before!

CJI.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It makes the Lima interpretation of the same-ish vehicle look like a decent model.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164656257128

The screw attached wire has to be a misunderstanding of how to make a hook (one end) and loop {t'other end) magnetically actuated coupling from bent wire. Perhaps.

Surely its an an early, but never adopted,  prototype for the Tri-ang Battle Space range with the skewer designed to deal with that giraffe if it ever escaped from its box car?

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

42 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Alright for it's era.

Was it an Aussie only release?

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=3962

Never seen one knocking about.

Jason

I don't remember ever seeing it though it is shown in this online version of the 5th catalogue. I's depicted in the second bottom-right scan of the catalogue's pages. It dates before my involvement in the hobby: the earliest (and only) catalogue I have is the 9th edition but I am reluctant to handle it as it's very delicate. (I'm also not sure where I have put it).

Edited by MartinRS
Scan location on page

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Alright for it's era.

Was it an Aussie only release?

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=3962

Never seen one knocking about.

Jason

I've got no idea, descriptions seem to say 'Made in England', so can't see why it would be an Australian only model.

I've certainly seen them at swap meets etc, and seemingly unwanted! Perhaps I should look out for one for you?

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MartinRS said:

I don't remember ever seeing it though it is shown in this online version of the 5th catalogue. I's depicted in the second bottom-right scan of the catalogue's pages. It dates before my involvement in the hobby: the earliest (and only) catalogue I have is the 9th edition but I am reluctant to handle it as it's very delicate. (I'm also not sure where I have put it).

That same page (31), shows some other interesting models. The matching open wagon (R217) and the two clockwork models, which reminds us as to why the 08 diesel shunter has a mysterious box on the side, not appearing on any prototype!

The 5th catalogue is fascinating to browse through.

I got the R.PC primary set for Christmas that year, with the Steeple Cab loco (non-working pantograph) and two green shorty coaches.

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I've got no idea, descriptions seem to say 'Made in England', so can't see why it would be an Australian only model.

I've certainly seen them at swap meets etc, and seemingly unwanted! Perhaps I should look out for one for you?

No thanks!

Just curious really. Whilst not for me I do like finding about models that were well before my time.

If I was after Ferry Vans then I would buy the new RTR one, at least that is the right size!

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

That brings back memories of my first trainset in christmas 1960 or 61 -  the clockwork diesel shunter, the open wagon and that van. But I think my van was  different colour and not sure about the shunter's colour but I'm fairly sure mine had the ferret and dartboard rather than the cycling lion.