Vintage Trains to sell Kolhapur

• RMweb Gold

Vintage Trains have announced that they are refocussing on a core brand of GWR locos with Choc and cream stock.

They will also retain two main line diesels.

They are offering Kolhapur and one of their three panniers for sale. 

Their core fleet will be 4965, 5043, 5080 and 7029. 7752 and 9600 are also being retained for "future opportunities". The main line diesels are 47773 and recently purchased 37240.

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2024/01/steam-locomotive-changes-at-vintage-trains-as-growth-plans-announced.html

They have agreed a CDL fitment progrmme with ORR. All stock has been fitted with toilet tanks and will be dual braked.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

I can quite understand them seeking to sell 'Kolhapur' as any of the sentimental reasons for keeping it in their fleet will have gone and, as stated, it doesn't fit with their core Western inage.  Keeping a big engine on, with all the long term expense that entails, is  an unwanted expense if it lies outside your v core business.   So selling it is a sensible business decision when you have plenty of 'core fleet' engines to look after.

I did have part of one main line trip on it, as owner's rep, back in the '80s so in some ways it is a shame to see it go as it was a good performer.   But in the end what has to count is maintaining the business and securing the longer term preservation and use of its fleet.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Possibly. Don't think it will be WCRC.

Although WCRC do have a lot more in their piggy bank than LSL - but they should be spending it on  CDL.  I suspect that all the bracketed (i.e. minus) numbers in LSL accounts are very useful elsewhere in that gentleman's interlocking web of companies;  always handy to have some losses to hand when the taxman calls.  (Regrettably the latter doesn't seem to work in the same way with personal bank accounts!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Although WCRC do have a lot more in their piggy bank than LSL - but they should be spending it on  CDL.  I suspect that all the bracketed (i.e. minus) numbers in LSL accounts are very useful elsewhere in that gentleman's interlocking web of companies;  always handy to have some losses to hand when the taxman calls.  (Regrettably the latter doesn't seem to work in the same way with personal bank accounts!)

I get the impression they'll be spending it on refunds for cancelled tours

• Agree 1

I notice the misspelt name in the title is the same as the one painted on the splasher in the 1960s!

It's Kolhapur!

Actually my favourite engine. Had a day firing it when we had it on loan. Certainly the biggest steam loco I've crewed. Oh for a lottery win....

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Why the mainline ?

45593 would look nice at the Severn valley or great central for instance.

The mainline is quite a hard place to be for a preserved loco group now, its really becoming a private members club.

5593 has had some moments of fun… starring as 5552 Silver Jubilee in LMS chrome black and as 45698 and 45700 in lined black with a fowler tender (from 42765)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, didcot said:

Or the GWS will buy it for its boiler and create a Star from the remains of Thornbury Castle. 

Or the fabled Hawksworth Pacific?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I notice the misspelt name in the title is the same as the one painted on the splasher in the 1960s!

It's Kolhapur!

Actually my favourite engine. Had a day firing it when we had it on loan. Certainly the biggest steam loco I've crewed. Oh for a lottery win....

Jason

Come on, everyone knows it's really called Klodhopper!

The rumour is that it is actually Carnforth bound, so Smithy can have yet another loco sitting in the shed waiting for him to fit CDL to his stock.

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, 5944 said:

The rumour is that it is actually Carnforth bound, so Smithy can have yet another loco sitting in the shed waiting for him to fit CDL to his stock.

I heard this story a couple of months ago and thought it was a done deal for Mr Smith - shortly after 45110 was sold to him. If true, t means WCRC  will operate three out of the four surviving "Jubes" 45593 45690 and 45699.  

10 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I heard this story a couple of months ago and thought it was a done deal for Mr Smith - shortly after 45110 was sold to him. If true, t means WCRC  will operate three out of the four surviving "Jubes" 45593 45690 and 45699.  

Who operates ‘Bahamas’ then? 😀

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Actually 4 out of 3…

Those 3 jubilees were reciepent of a large amount of spares from 45562 Alberta.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 5944 said:

It was indeed known as Klodhopper - for quite accurate reasons at one time.  It was much improved after its 1980s major overhaul.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Matt37268 said:

Who operates ‘Bahamas’ then? 😀

Having googled, I see a date has been given for the "White Rose" tour which seems to feature "the fourth jubilee" along with a WCR diesel.  So suggests 45596 is operated by WCR even if it is still owned by a group on the K&WVR 

World jubilee domination !!!