RMweb

MTK Class 404 4-GRI

10 hours ago, KeithHC said:

That looks great Darius. From the photos above you cannot see the difference in length of the Griddle car. I am slowly drawing the 4RES but have already hit an issue with the windows. I am using the Golding book but confirming details from other sources. The first problem was the windows in the kitchen. The drawing shows them as being frosted full depth. However from photographs they are in fact clear but less than half height. I can only presume that during a refurb the windows where changed.

Keith

Golding is definitely wrong on the 4-BUF buffet car windows, so other drawings are likely to be incorrect. You'd be better off getting hold of the Mike King drawings. He does all of the various catering vehicles. 

9 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Having following another thread, won't this look faintly ridiculous being hauled by the L&M Lion?

Mike.

The preserved one did get hauled by a Nord De Glehn 4-6-0 at one point, so you never know....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Digging out my 'Parkin' Mk.1 book it is obvious that the dia.30 Griddle cars (the ones in the 1961 Trains Illustrated) are all but identical in layout. The interiors of these have light, vertically grained wood panelling with squared linoleum flooring (light/medium marbled squares on the passageways, darker round the seats) except at the 'bar' end where there is longitudinally black/buff striped carpet (as in this Mk.1 Pullman). Though the pictures are monochrome, the pattern on the upholstery suggests that it is Black and Gold Stripes - First Class (stripes arranged vertically). Table tops look to be medium to dark (probably laminate, probably wood grain) with aluminium edging.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I created larger fabric panels in MS Paint using swatches from the web and printed them on to white decal paper, sealing with spray on matt varnish.

The seat upholstery was cut out of the larger decal and applied as a “traditional” waterslide decal.  

I painted the seat armrests with enamel paint (red and white) mixed to match, as far as possible, the fabric colour.

I will show this process in the next post.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I used the prototype image / waterslide technique for my Kitmaster Midland Pullman build - upholstery, carpets, end panel murals, the lot.

You have to squint to tell, though!

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes - once the coach body is on you really have to look hard to see the upholstery.  Still there is the satisfaction to be had knowing that it is “there”.

I’ve also found this method to be quicker, easier and neater than painting the seats.  It’s also a lot less messy.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

The transfers work well. For compartment stock I've created some artwork for fold-up seats/compartment walls. Would be rather more complicated for open stock though.

auxFnes.jpg

Very much in the vein of Peco interiors for Kitmaster coaches.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Utterly fantastic! I've enjoyed following your various MTK builds so far, but this one has been especially enjoyable as I have a great love for the Nelsons (both the EMUs and steam locos😉)

Amazing work creating such a marvellous looking model from a rather unpromising kit 👌

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Peops added and light weathering of chassis to finish 😀

IMG_2181.jpeg.62f93f743148b1fecd153194160547f2.jpeg

IMG_2182.jpeg.efca1cfdc36145bdd5b9858fc5e2de6a.jpeg

IMG_2183.jpeg.971af7a3abe9b29d544d831108be34dc.jpeg

IMG_2184.jpeg.11971c1cbdf11e319cdb6aa5289a5aa9.jpeg

IMG_2185.jpeg.a1a592c18b68e83f1413a9550f2dffea.jpeg

IMG_2186.jpeg.6fd8fc68fdd8557f60ef44b4000632de.jpeg

IMG_2188.jpeg.5ecb9d25f08355d0ce91fde068ca4082.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

This is, without doubt, the finest rendition of an MTK kit that I have seen!

If I may, though - perhaps  some finer handrail knobs for future builds?

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

This is, without doubt, the finest rendition of an MTK kit that I have seen!

If I may, though - perhaps  some finer handrail knobs for future builds?

CJI.

Thanks John - agreed they are a bit chunky.  All I had to hand were some spare Hornby handrail/knob sets that I found on eBay a few years ago.

The knobs as fitted are plastic so they can be sliced off and replaced with finer ones in future.

Cheers

Darius