Peterborough North

great northern

Did footplate crews retire at 65 in steam days?  I'm sure some went on longer. Age is a funny thing. If you looks at teenagers pre 1958 they wore baggy trouser suits or fawn raincoats, trilby's, leather shoes and a Brylcreme hair parting like their dads and grandads. 'We' wore pale blue drainpipes, three-quarter jackets with velvet collars, bootlace ties and thick crepe soles, had swept back long hair and would not comform to anything if we could avoid it. Today some ow'd  b*ggers are lucky enough to still have youngish looks.

• RMweb Gold

Did footplate crews retire at 65 in steam days?  I'm sure some went on longer. Age is a funny thing. If you looks at teenagers pre 1958 they wore baggy trouser suits or fawn raincoats, trilby's, leather shoes and a Brylcreme hair parting like their dads and grandads. 'We' wore pale blue drainpipes, three-quarter jackets with velvet collars, bootlace ties and thick crepe soles, had swept back long hair and would not comform to anything if we could avoid it. Today some ow'd  b*ggers are lucky enough to still have youngish looks.

I can't find anything definite for footplate jobs but 'retention beyond normal retirement age' was permitted in the 1960s and had almost certainly been going on long before then - especially in war time I would have thought and very likely into the 1950s when there were severe labour shortages in some areas.  The oldest staff I ever came across were a 73 year old C&W Examiner at Reading in 1968 and man who admitted to his late '60s who was in charge of the station at Morar on the West Highland extension in c.1970 who had started on the railway as an Engine Cleaner at Mallaig in 1913.

• Like 1

G'Day Gents

I think most footplate staff would have retired at 65, but quite a few Ex drivers came back as guards, I have heard of guards being well into there 70's (ex footplate) and that was at Kings Cross in the 1970's

manna (ex footplate, Kings Cross)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a couple of shots today, but as one of those new fangled diesel thingies was due I thought I would feature it for those who enjoy such things. :jester: Here then is the 8.20am KX- Doncaster, the regular turn of Deltic during her sojourn on the ECML. The fact that the said sojourn did not commence until several months later than the alleged timescale of this layout is one that I ignore, as I'm sure will the rest of you. :no: In the first shot, she is flanked by a tired looking Lincoln K3,( they all were), which will head off to Grimsby in about twenty minutes time.post-98-0-40805800-1379434101_thumb.jpg

Deltic now departs, though as can just be seen the driver can't open the throttle much yet, as the Distant is on.

post-98-0-30976400-1379434220_thumb.jpg

You have to be pretty sharp eyed to see that the Home is off by the way. I experimented with a temporary backscene behind Spital Bridge to see if that made photoshopping all those lattice posts any easier, and it does. :sungum:  That doesn't mean that I shall want to do it all that often though. The rest of the time was spent trying to work out how to get round yet another operating glitch caused by the lack of an essential crossover at the South end. More  slight rearrangement of the fiddle yard resulted, and a slightly dodgy manoeuvre which does not quite impinge on the "real" part of the layout. I'm not happy about it though, so as part of the goods train concerned runs only once in the whole timetable, I may have to resort to railing it up by hand each time, which is not too onerous, as the time it takes me to get through the sequence means it will only be necessary at about two month intervals.

• Like 16

Hi Gilbert -

I've been off line for a while and don't know if you solved your slipping A4 problem, but if you've got any suggestions on dealing with the same challenge on Bachmann Thompsons / Peppercorns, I'd love to hear it!

I'm also just starting out on a model of an Engine Shed called Waverley, loosely modelled on a mix of Haymarket and St. Margarets.

I have started a thread on here so if you or any of your friends would like to drop by and give me any hints I'd welcome them - please drop by to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73196-waverley-shed-somewhere-in-edinburgh/

Apologies for the lengthy pre-amble on the thread - there are a fair few pics as you scroll down, but it's still very early stages!

ATB 

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert -

I've been off line for a while and don't know if you solved your slipping A4 problem, but if you've got any suggestions on dealing with the same challenge on Bachmann Thompsons / Peppercorns, I'd love to hear it!

I'm also just starting out on a model of an Engine Shed called Waverley, loosely modelled on a mix of Haymarket and St. Margarets.

I have started a thread on here so if you or any of your friends would like to drop by and give me any hints I'd welcome them - please drop by to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73196-waverley-shed-somewhere-in-edinburgh/

Apologies for the lengthy pre-amble on the thread - there are a fair few pics as you scroll down, but it's still very early stages!

ATB 

Peter

Hi Peter,

I've had a look at your thread, good luck with it, and don't hesitate to ask for opinions or help. As to slipping Pacifics, adding weight in the right places is the main cure, though some seem to haul less straight from the box than others. Tim had a look at an A3 for me recently, and we couldn't find anything wrong, but when we substituted another A3 it handled the same load without any problem! The same applies with Bachmann A1's, and even after having weight added some are better than others. Just like the real things really, I suppose. There were good engines and bad.

• RMweb Premium

Some extensive video would be really nice, without waiting for the inevitable BRM DVD.

Tony.

Video eh? My first and only attempt wasn't very good, and frankly I don't like having to publish stuff on You Tube to which anyone has access. If I can get The Laird to give me a proper tutorial I may have another go.There won't be a BRM DVD for some while,if at all, as my series of articles in Model Rail isn't even complete yet. There is also a problem in finding a good place to put the camera while still being able to operate the trains and signals without appearing in shot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Beware the 'andle of the 'oover.........

Anyhow Mr CPBacon, how did you get a pic of Gilbert in his kitchen?

P

Where have you been Duck? I thought you must have flown South for the winter. And I don't wear sophisticated clothing as modelled by the gentleman in that photo.

• RMweb Premium

Think of yourself as Hitchcock............although depends what the silouette looks like!

Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once. Any image suggesting that I have anything other than a sylph like waistline is caused by either camera distortion, momentary poor posture, or possibly wind - I'm a martyr to it.

Video eh? My first and only attempt wasn't very good, and frankly I don't like having to publish stuff on You Tube to which anyone has access. If I can get The Laird to give me a proper tutorial I may have another go.There won't be a BRM DVD for some while,if at all, as my series of articles in Model Rail isn't even complete yet. There is also a problem in finding a good place to put the camera while still being able to operate the trains and signals without appearing in shot.

Sounds like a visit to Peterborough is on the cards, perhaps you could email me some dates Gilbert!

John E.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Exceedingly yummy pics G. Lighting is superb and the second one is just great.

Oh yes, reasons for being away: I have been displaying myself at Grantham and Doncaster, followed by a nice clean up back home at York. Didn't get shot at fortunately or warned about displaying myself. Flew to Greece for a couple of weeks R & R and loads of water play. Made a bit of a navigational error on the way back and landed at Manchester. Fortunately I was able to follow the A57 back home the next morning.

Speak Quack soon,

P

• Like 1