Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Almost identical shot in #4361.  Either the W1 is new (surely not?) or you've bedded in the canopy support leg?  The surface doesn't look much different and I can't see anything else you might have fiddled with.

When are these wagons you've been working on due through, then?

Tha's a clever b***** you are Jonathan. post-98-0-67147300-1377619196_thumb.jpgpost-98-0-43155900-1377619244_thumb.jpgpost-98-0-25167000-1377619319_thumb.jpg

It may be alleged by some unkind persons that I am on record as saying that I would never have this beast. I entirely refute this malicious suggestion, safe, I hope, in the knowledge that none of you are going to trawl back through 174 pages in the hope of finding allegedly incriminating evidence. :D  Anyway, I finally subscribed to the argument that as it was a regular sight it ought to be on my layout, so another Hornby A4 has been "Timmed". I hope you remember the verb to "Tim", meaning to make seamless alterations which transform something into something rather different. As you can see, he has triumphed again, and I must say that I'm now very glad that I asked him, as it has a real presence about it. I'll leave Tim to describe on his thread how it was done, and thank him for managing to keep the project quiet for so long, and for achieving the look I remember it had most of the time - not filthy, but not very clean either.

The effects on the tender by the way are as usual tricks played by the strong light which I cannot prevent from getting in, even with blinds drawn.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

That is a lovely beast IMO.

Imagine that passing through PN as the Caprotti was going the other way. Spotters would have been overwhelmed with emotion at seeing such beautiful beasts within seconds. However one would have been gazed at in disbelief and the other showered with howls of "scrap it" :sarcastichand: 

• RMweb Premium

Ah, it was said it was not high on the list of wants though. Nice, I'm always one for taking advantage of the unusual, especially if folk will say "that never ran there" or "that never happened". It is nice to show them they are wrong. That's me!

I like it!

Nothing like the fact to confuse the memory.  If the 15:00 Cleethorpes/Grimsby train didn't get into Kings Cross until 22:00, then it would have to be a pretty late dinner for that fish.  I must admit that I always thought the journey from Grimsby to KX was about 5 hours.  Anyway the facts beg the question, why bother at all with the vans on the rear.  By the way, in my last post Mallard (now corrected) should have read Mayflower.  Gilbert will understand.

• Like 1

so another Hornby A4 has been "Timmed". I hope you remember the verb to "Tim", meaning to make seamless alterations which transform something into something rather different.

As someone who's known Tim for quite sometime I'm sure there must be more than one definition of the verb 'to tim'! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Tha's a clever b***** you are Jonathan. attachicon.gifW1 2.jpgattachicon.gifW1 3.jpgattachicon.gifW1 4.jpg

It may be alleged by some unkind persons that I am on record as saying that I would never have this beast. I entirely refute this malicious suggestion, safe, I hope, in the knowledge that none of you are going to trawl back through 174 pages in the hope of finding allegedly incriminating evidence. :D  Anyway, I finally subscribed to the argument that as it was a regular sight it ought to be on my layout, so another Hornby A4 has been "Timmed". I hope you remember the verb to "Tim", meaning to make seamless alterations which transform something into something rather different. As you can see, he has triumphed again, and I must say that I'm now very glad that I asked him, as it has a real presence about it. I'll leave Tim to describe on his thread how it was done, and thank him for managing to keep the project quiet for so long, and for achieving the look I remember it had most of the time - not filthy, but not very clean either.

The effects on the tender by the way are as usual tricks played by the strong light which I cannot prevent from getting in, even with blinds drawn.

Just how I remember her - I travelled behind her just the once on a return trip from York with my parents, and I cabbed her on arrival at the 'Cross.  And that was sort of full circle as my dad had cabbed her, as a young chap, when she was on one its tours round the LNER although back then she had looked very different of course.  So whatever anyone else might say I'm glad she's finally appeared at Peterborough and I hope she remains a regular visitor to the pages of RMweb.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Here is something I initially omitted from my posting of Mr Wright's notes on Pullman Cars in the 'Wright writes' thread. He indeed had meant me to post that item here but I'm daft and forgot his instruction.

post-2326-0-50184200-1377675253_thumb.jpg

There are ten other pictures of beautiful cars on the 'other post'. I believe all but the Golden Age cars are Wright conversions and Rathbone paint work. Worth a quick look.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

Tha's a clever b*****

I'd love to say it was the position of the trailing axle relative to the firebox or the number of washout plugs which gave it away, but if you'd found a way to cover up the lack of nameplate better you'd have foxed me as well.

I meant to ask - 75 holes doesn't divide by 18.  So were you in a thrilling playoff over three holes for a major title, did you lose count somewhere, or were the clubs heaved into a water hazard and you retreated to your bench to do some therapeutic wagon modelling?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to say it was the position of the trailing axle relative to the firebox or the number of washout plugs which gave it away, but if you'd found a way to cover up the lack of nameplate better you'd have foxed me as well.

I meant to ask - 75 holes doesn't divide by 18.  So were you in a thrilling playoff over three holes for a major title, did you lose count somewhere, or were the clubs heaved into a water hazard and you retreated to your bench to do some therapeutic wagon modelling?

There is always the visit to the nineteenth hole to take into account so really it is one short .... :)

• RMweb Premium

Nothing like the fact to confuse the memory.  If the 15:00 Cleethorpes/Grimsby train didn't get into Kings Cross until 22:00, then it would have to be a pretty late dinner for that fish.  I must admit that I always thought the journey from Grimsby to KX was about 5 hours.  Anyway the facts beg the question, why bother at all with the vans on the rear.  By the way, in my last post Mallard (now corrected) should have read Mayflower.  Gilbert will understand.

I was a bit puzzled by the reference to Mallard, Jim, but all now becomes clear. I have also now found two articles in TI May and June 1958, entitled Day trip to Grimsby. Geoffrey Freeman Allen refers to fish vans tacked on to the rear of passenger trains, and says " Stations along the route to Sheffield can get their fish early on a van that is tacked on to the rear of the 1129am from Cleethorpes at Grimsby Docks station, while another on the Lincoln line is backed onto the following 1143 from Cleethorpes; the 2.22pm Cleethorpes - Sheffield picks up vans for as far afield as Aberystwyth and Holyhead....... He doesn't say anything about vans attached on to KX trains, but he does mention the fact that since his visit the two trains to KX had been combined into one leaving at 5.30pm, "presumably because of declining business". The whole article predicted gloomily and correctly the slump in fish traffic which would see its end in the near future.

• RMweb Premium

12 holes on Tuesday, 9 on Wednesday,and 18 each on Thursday Friday and Saturday. It all adds up you know.  Nett 69 in a competition on Friday, but didn't win, and a small matter of 24 shots worse on Saturday, by which time I was well and truly over golfed.

As to the W1, I didn't want to make it too difficult, so the lack of nameplate was what I intended to give it away, and it did, very quickly. The wagons are still being allocated to the appropriate cassettes by the way.

I would like to know the answer to the same question (if that's a bog standard Hornby item then it's an impressive finish).

I do like the iconic post (#) nos we're going through at the moment. Must find something to comment about in six post's time.... :mosking:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

60090 is a stunner - howdya get the superb gloss paint on metal finish?  Is it klear over a standard Hornby paint job?  Or the hand of a master?

I would like to know the answer to the same question (if that's a bog standard Hornby item then it's an impressive finish).

I do like the iconic post (#) nos we're going through at the moment. Must find something to comment about in six post's time.... :mosking:

It is a standard Hornby A3, but I asked John Houlden to use Klear and I think T Cut to achieve a "straight out of the paint shop" finish, which is how I saw 60090 at Retford in early August 1958. He hadn't tried it before, but you can see that he did an excellent job.

I'd noticed these post numbers too, and very appropriate they are. I doubt very much that we shall ever get to the BR equivalents though. :D

• Like 1