Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Lots of queueing to get into Nottingham today, but all jobs done nevertheless, and time for more photos before I go off again to do you know what.

post-98-0-58785700-1468318296_thumb.jpg

A dirt encrusted A3 lurches round the dog leg into Platform 2. I wonder what shed it might come from?

post-98-0-60831600-1468318419_thumb.jpg

a bit closer, number clearly visible now.

post-98-0-91395500-1468318598_thumb.jpg

and now seen in all its glory. Yes, Gladiateur, and Gateshead again. This was Tom Wright's second go at 52A filth, and despite my encouragement he still couldn't quite bring himself to go the whole way, as green paint can still just be seen under the grime. We have got as far as the 9.55am Up Newcastle now.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps a little harsh?  He is after all a somewhat wounded duck at present.

I don't think he'll mind Gilbert - it was intended in a spirit of "laughter and merriment" after all! Mind you we don't want him to laugh too much right now in case he does himself a mischief.

Gilbert in the fiddle yard picture. On I think track 17 there's a train with a ladies retiring portion could you describe that train? What is it is an it's make up?

Thanks 

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, are they any Twins due through PN in the near future? Also, how did you 'acquire' yours (sides on donor or something?)

Thanks a lot,

Phil 

None due for a while Phil, but I can easily run a set round and take some photos for you tomorrow, if you wish. Mine were built for me from Phoenix kits by Mike Radford, but I know that Dave Shakespeare had been trying to get Phoenix to prepare some more kits for him for some years without success, so I'm afraid that source is unlikely to come up with anything. The only other possibility I know of is Southern Pride. Dave Lewis has etched sides in his catalogue, but they are shown on the website as unavailable at present.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert in the fiddle yard picture. On I think track 17 there's a train with a ladies retiring portion could you describe that train? What is it is an it's make up?

Thanks 

That is the Heart of Midlothian set David. Formation is BCK* SK* BSK* (SK*) SK LRR SK* (SK*) RF/RU FO* FK* FK BSK*.

Asterix = MK1 . Those in brackets are not in my formation, and the RU replaced the RF on Saturdays only.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The usual late evening images chaps.

post-98-0-65298600-1468361372_thumb.jpg

one more of 60070.

post-98-0-05193700-1468361428_thumb.jpg

This is a Colwick - KX Goods Class F, but for some reason has a Lincoln K3 in charge. It should be composed of loaded pipes and tubes plus coal. I haven't yet got round to putting a kadee on the end of one of the wagons, hence the fruit van acting as a barrier vehicle, and though I have had the necessary materials for some time I haven't got round to producing any loads yet, so would you please imagine those.Back to a sky again, I'm inclined to think it does add a bit more interest.

• Like 16

Just a brief posting from me, then getting back to reading through the 119 pages I have left!

It looks absolutely brilliant, and just a brief apology for the thousands of ratings you will have been getting over the last couple of weeks!

My mission, should I choose to accept it, is to reach the end of this forum by 2100 tonight. The time is 16:39. This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Poof

Anyway joking aside it looks amazing and cant wait to see what it looks like now as opposed to 120 pages ago haha

Peter

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

None due for a while Phil, but I can easily run a set round and take some photos for you tomorrow, if you wish. Mine were built for me from Phoenix kits by Mike Radford, but I know that Dave Shakespeare had been trying to get Phoenix to prepare some more kits for him for some years without success, so I'm afraid that source is unlikely to come up with anything. The only other possibility I know of is Southern Pride. Dave Lewis has *etched sides in his catalogue, but they are shown on the website as unavailable at present.

Thank you G. I had heard that about Phoenix along with anything else they appear to want to sell (just doesn't happen from what I read) and forgotten that SP have them. Strategy is at present to see if SP have some (*in a cupboard behind some other things) then, if not, Bill B has a set and they should go on a 'modified' 'old shorty Hornby donor. Not top of my list I can assure you but a 'fun project' maybe for the winter months and to surprise followers of SOSJ at some future date. If, of course, the project works, it may be that someone else could do with a Quint Set?

thanks for the advice and enjoy the Golf (did anyone get 5k by the way?)

Phil 

• RMweb Premium

Thank you G. I had heard that about Phoenix along with anything else they appear to want to sell (just doesn't happen from what I read) and forgotten that SP have them. Strategy is at present to see if SP have some (*in a cupboard behind some other things) then, if not, Bill B has a set and they should go on a 'modified' 'old shorty Hornby donor. Not top of my list I can assure you but a 'fun project' maybe for the winter months and to surprise followers of SOSJ at some future date. If, of course, the project works, it may be that someone else could do with a Quint Set?

thanks for the advice and enjoy the Golf (did anyone get 5k by the way?)

Phil 

The only thing anybody got on Saturday Phil was soaking wet. I took up my position at 0930, the rain got even harder, and by 1000 it was hard to distinguish tthe green from the nearby pond. We had to call the whole thing off very shortly thereafter.

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to say hello to Gilbert's new 'friend' from 'down under'. I do hope you have not been too shocked at talk of Hot Pants and Hales Individual Fruit Pies along with strange references to weird workings?

The final test for new PN followers  is to correctly identify the strange post/equipment at the north end of the Up Main Platform. If you identify that successfully you become a member of the Inner Sanctum and get a free bun at Christmas.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Our first sighting this morning is another A3. a rather common one this time.

post-98-0-91212300-1468404768_thumb.jpg

The train is the 1230 Newcastle. Meanwhile at the other end we have an arrival from Louth.post-98-0-08394800-1468404952_thumb.jpg

My PC has gone very slow indeed. so I shall now do something more interesting, possibly watching some paint dry.

• Like 12

I forgot to say hello to Gilbert's new 'friend' from 'down under'. I do hope you have not been too shocked at talk of Hot Pants and Hales Individual Fruit Pies along with strange references to weird workings?

The final test for new PN followers  is to correctly identify the strange post/equipment at the north end of the Up Main Platform. If you identify that successfully you become a member of the Inner Sanctum and get a free bun at Christmas.

Phil 

Haha I wouldn't have a clue as to what it is. Heck I dont even know what those funny looking brass things are on-top of those small green things from out west are :D

I've only gotten "serious" (for me really serious - P4 and I won't have any loco that wasn't shedded in the right area, thanks to brdatabase.info for that haha exception being pacifics from various places) about UK modelling in the last year (ish) probably more like last 3 months or so. If I can get my layout anywhere near as good as Peterborough North, I will be happy indeed! Long term (next 5 years haha) plan is to finish school and get a scholarship to study Mechanical Engineering at Cambridge so I'll have a better understanding by the time I can actually see the locos (whats left of them :( )

Only on page 391, so I am 35 pages ahead of what I was about 3 hours ago but still a fair way to go haha. 

Again, it looks great and only a few more hours to go until I'm up to date!

Peter

• RMweb Premium

I already have an underlying lung condition which means I'm running on around 60% of capacity at the moment so when the cold struck I was well felled - I stuck with it for six days until going to the Quack ( sorry Phil :-)) who gave me antibiotics in case it turned into pneumonia or aggravated my existing pneumonitis. 

He did point out that the vast majority of even very heavy chest stuff is viral so antibiotics are not encouraged. However he did say that 90% of over the counter remedies' no harm' but provide little in the way of symptom amelioration. As I said earlier themes effective anti cough med was dihydrocodeine.

I've also go the star pain tot he right of my sternum at the bottom - Chiropractor last week said I've probably strained a rib where it joins the sternum which is cartilage

Beware Costochondritis. (think that's how you spell it). I know this is a bit late but I've been reviewing some of my daft posts. Here is another one!

Phil

Maybe that's the answer to that box on a stick adjacent to the Up Main that nobody can fathom out.  It was a bl**dy speed camera :jester:

Hey Duck I found the answer :D

That's why Gilbert always sticks to 20mph through the station, don't want anyone finding out and with that thing there!!

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hey Duck I found the answer :D

That's why Gilbert always sticks to 20mph through the station, don't want anyone finding out and with that thing there!!

Peter

Excellent. Pity we can't send you a bun due to your importation security.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmm..... PC appears to be slow as it claims I'm nearly out of disc space, though I don't know where it has gone so suddenly, as last time I looked I had plenty. I've cleared the cache, emptied deleted items and got rid of everything I can, but to no effect. Pictures take up a lot of space though, don't they? so I'd better get rid of a few more.

post-98-0-37961100-1468424021_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-55672100-1468424065_thumb.jpg

At least the destination is for the right stretch of line on this DMU! Getting closer.

• Like 15