Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, davidw said:

Fascinating train composition. Are the couplings hunt? Or other?

I'd say 90+% of my couplings are Hunts now, and in this formation it is 100%. 13 on, some kit built, and the loco (Hornby) took them without a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, trw1089 said:

I’m really enjoying this Saturday timetable, just makes you realise how different the services were then with such a focus on the seaside workings.  It also brings up the age old issue of bias in photography, if most photographers were out on weekends, the pictures we often see don’t necessarily give us the best indication of the weekday scene (and thanks to Gilbert for pointing this out to me some time ago).

Cheers

Tony

By sheer coincidence, a full formation was next up, and it does indeed confirm that weekends were very different. One thing I have noticed is that Thompson CKs are specified in a large number of trains, often two of them. I've just run a West Riding train made up BSK 8x SK8 2x CK 3-3 BSK.

We need to remember that in the 50s BR still had a large number of coaches that never turned a wheel for eleven months of the year. It meant the service was there when the demand arose though.

Any thought of you coming to the UK again now that Covid seems to be settling down?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, great northern said:

I'd say 90+% of my couplings are Hunts now, and in this formation it is 100%. 13 on, some kit built, and the loco (Hornby) took them without a problem.

I've spent a bit of time (quite a bit to be honest) working on Thompson coaches. I'm sure Bachmann will do maroon versions in due course. But I have given up waiting. So so I've built a couple of comet kits. And heavily modified both new and old tooling bachmanns. 

I know about Robert Carrolls coach information. Do you just use his information or have other sources? I've picked up the fact that what ran and official carriage workings could be considerably different?

6 minutes ago, great northern said:

By sheer coincidence, a full formation was next up, and it does indeed confirm that weekends were very different. One thing I have noticed is that Thompson CKs are specified in a large number of trains, often two of them. I've just run a West Riding train made up BSK 8x SK8 2x CK 3-3 BSK.

We need to remember that in the 50s BR still had a large number of coaches that never turned a wheel for eleven months of the year. It meant the service was there when the demand arose though.

Any thought of you coming to the UK again now that Covid seems to be settling down?

Talking of the West Riding. I see that Isinglass are doing the West Riding/Coronation as 3D prints...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, davidw said:

I've spent a bit of time (quite a bit to be honest) working on Thompson coaches. I'm sure Bachmann will do maroon versions in due course. But I have given up waiting. So so I've built a couple of comet kits. And heavily modified both new and old tooling bachmanns. 

I know about Robert Carrolls coach information. Do you just use his information or have other sources? I've picked up the fact that what ran and official carriage workings could be considerably different?

This is a discussion TW and I have had several times. I accept that there will have been occasions when things didn't go to plan, and replacements had to be made at short notice, but on seat reservation trains surely that would have been avoided if at all possible?  On trains which specified that a particular depot was to secure coaches, it would be more likely that there would be divergence, I would think.

It becomes more and more clear, in my mind anyway, that the vast majority of photographs were taken when people were off work, and therefore at weekends or public holidays, and so what we see is those more eclectic formations which I am now having to put together. I still think that on weekdays the CWN would be observed more strictly. And remember that it was the unusual that often caused the photograph to be taken.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, great northern said:

And the rest... No RKs shown in Tyneside trains on weekdays, nor all door Gresleys.

An interesting formation once we’d got past the first five!

Edited by thegreenhowards

• RMweb Gold
On 24/06/2022 at 12:24, Flying Fox 34F said:

A reflection of “What there once was.” Social mobility, foreign package holidays and the rise of the car.

Nowadays, it is a service of 4 car Sprinters and Class 180’s

Paul

Astute observation. It shocks me to realise that it is already almost 50 years since my Control days, when even on a school-holiday weekday we might have a train crewed on standby at Selhurst Depot, awaiting the supervisor at East Croydon's request if service trains to the coast hadn't cleared his platform of passengers. Not much sight of that these days! 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Good morning Gilbert

A nice clean Thompson Pacific, must be Ex Works?

David

Indeed, ex works after a heavy intermediate overhaul on 29/8/58, and Tim worked from two photos taken at Doncaster shed dated September 58, so this is one we can be very confident about.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, great northern said:

Indeed, ex works after a heavy intermediate overhaul on 29/8/58, and Tim worked from two photos taken at Doncaster shed dated September 58, so this is one we can be very confident about.

Hi  Gilbert

Very nice photo and excellent work by Tim.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Astute observation. It shocks me to realise that it is already almost 50 years since my Control days, when even on a school-holiday weekday we might have a train crewed on standby at Selhurst Depot, awaiting the supervisor at East Croydon's request if service trains to the coast hadn't cleared his platform of passengers. Not much sight of that these days! 

Hi Ian

It was these PEP units that cured that problem.

image.png.48ca403ec098c32594ce253461037f72.png

We all know the SR train codes related to the function of the train , 4 SUB = suburban, 4 COR = corridor express train, 4 PEP = pack 'em perpendicular.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
On 25/06/2022 at 20:37, great northern said:

Yes Gilbert

We are thinking of a trip next year hopefully as my work has promised me a trip to an international conference which will most likely be in Europe, so will definitely need a visit to PN again (if you’ll have me!).

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It was these PEP units that cured that problem.

We all know the SR train codes related to the function of the train , 4 SUB = suburban, 4 COR = corridor express train, 4 PEP = pack 'em perpendicular.

Except that they were supposed to be called 4-PER, having electro-rheostatic brakes, not electro-pneumatic. Sadly at the press launch, Lance Ibbotson, General Manager, called them PEP - so all the manuals had to be reprinted!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Except that they were supposed to be called 4-PER, having electro-rheostatic brakes, not electro-pneumatic.

And I seem to remember they worked to and from Strawberry Hill Depot where us in the  Rolling Stock Development Unit would check them over. The "PEPs" then sired the GN 313 units.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, trw1089 said:

Yes Gilbert

We are thinking of a trip next year hopefully as my work has promised me a trip to an international conference which will most likely be in Europe, so will definitely need a visit to PN again (if you’ll have me!).

Cheers

Tony

You are always welcome Tony.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2022 at 09:48, great northern said:

You will not be disappointed Andy, and I'll be interested to hear your views on how it is presented and packaged.

Hi Gilbert,

I’ve  now got mine and I’m very impressed. The loco is very nicely executed and I love the sound although there is a slight rattle as times. The packaging is comprehensive and very professional. Although the large box is a bit bulky for taking it to the club, so I may use a standard loco box for that. Despite the cushioning, mine had lost one of the bogie chains (a detail I don’t remember seeing before) which is slightly frustrating, but a smidge of superglue sorted that out.

Here is a link to a video of it running on Gresley Jn.

Regards

Andy