Peterborough North

great northern

18 hours ago, great northern said:

That resulted in the building of a subway, which lasted till Crescent Bridge opened in 1913, when Cowgate became a dead end. I'm pretty sure it was Cowgate all the way down, but I'm sure Lloyd will tell me if I'm wrong.

I have no idea. I never knew just what that section was called, but I have a feeling that you are right, as usual. I have never heard of the subway before the bridge was opened, but from the level of River Lane on the other side of the tracks, that sounds not improbable.

Thanks for the information.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, great northern said:

The next one is of the loading dock, which Peter had about half surfaced when Covid intervened. I tried to finish it off, but wasn't happy with what I did, so Peter has now done the job properly.

Looks good and as I remember it.

Spital Bridge looks so much better now. I makes quite a difference at that end. One wee point that I am not clear about. I do not recall a change in height of the parapet between the Midland and GNR sections of the bridge, though I do not clearly recall that the was not one there. Do you have any photos to show that? I know that a parapet continued across the Midland section of the bridge, and changed at the end to a wire fence, both sides of the road. I could see over the wire fence, but being rather altitudinaly challenged, I could not see over the parapet!

• RMweb Premium
On 31/05/2022 at 09:34, FarrMan said:

I have no idea. I never knew just what that section was called, but I have a feeling that you are right, as usual. I have never heard of the subway before the bridge was opened, but from the level of River Lane on the other side of the tracks, that sounds not improbable.

Thanks for the information.

Lloyd

I have photographs of it Lloyd, but can't put them on here because of copyright issues.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, great northern said:

If things are running to time, and this early in the proceedings they still might be, this Doncaster-KX will be passing through at 9.48am.

849623387_51192.JPG.dd68480aefaec509bb2c5143dcbb31e4.JPG

The locomotive is Doncaster's own Patrick Stirling, seen again in the shadows a short while later.

446869121_6119under.JPG.bf061b92770c9becc1ed01e15692f91a.JPG

Looks good. The shadows look less shadowy than they used to, if you get my drift.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, great northern said:

If things are running to time, and this early in the proceedings they still might be, this Doncaster-KX will be passing through at 9.48am.

849623387_51192.JPG.dd68480aefaec509bb2c5143dcbb31e4.JPG

The locomotive is Doncaster's own Patrick Stirling, seen again in the shadows a short while later.

446869121_6119under.JPG.bf061b92770c9becc1ed01e15692f91a.JPG

Gilbert, 

Looks like Patrick Stirling decided to loose a Headlamp when he passed under the station roof?

It may even be sat on its side in thd 6 foot.

This Saturday sequence is very entertaining so far

Paul

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Gilbert, 

Looks like Patrick Stirling decided to loose a Headlamp when he passed under the station roof?

It may even be sat on its side in thd 6 foot.

This Saturday sequence is very entertaining so far

Paul

Yes indeed, and I found it lying between sleepers a few days later. I wondered how it had got there. Now I know. I'm hoping that black tac will solve these problems, though so far it has't always worked. The lamps are so small that it is hard to attach enough to stick without it becoming too visible.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 31/05/2022 at 09:45, FarrMan said:

Spital Bridge looks so much better now. I makes quite a difference at that end. One wee point that I am not clear about. I do not recall a change in height of the parapet between the Midland and GNR sections of the bridge, though I do not clearly recall that the was not one there. Do you have any photos to show that? I know that a parapet continued across the Midland section of the bridge, and changed at the end to a wire fence, both sides of the road. I could see over the wire fence, but being rather altitudinaly challenged, I could not see over the parapet!

I finally found a really good photo. The parapet over the Midland section appears to have been slightly lower, but not significantly so. After crossing those tracks, of course there is a fairly steep decline to ground level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, great northern said:

I finally found a really good photo. The parapet over the Midland section appears to have been slightly lower, but not significantly so. After crossing those tracks, of course there is a fairly steep decline to ground level.

Many thanks, Gilbert. I do not remember that, but after 60 years and with out a good memory anyway, I must have been wrong on this one. I certainly remember the steep decline to ground level, especially in the eastern (i.e. GNR) side. That side had almost a standing start at the bottom as well. At least I could take a bit of a run on the Midland side on my push bike. There were very few hills  slopes in that area, and that and the eastern approach to Crescent Bridge were the worst other than from under the Oundle Road bridge up to that over the Midland line by East Station.

Re 'hills', I went to the opposite extreme when I was driving over the Bealach Na Ba 4 times a day - sea level up to 2000 feet and back down to sea level in 10 miles!

Memories!

Lloyd