Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

P1 was an interesting beast - massively over powered with its boosters working - I believe so much so that they couldn't find enough weight for it to haul and still stop in safety!

I suspect you've seen this interesting model floating around RM Web?

798223493_BR2-8-2.jpg.cc80a3ffda2f2a80b7f6964cdc11c8a5.jpg

Thanks for posting that picture, I wasn't aware of the model - only having seen scheme drawings / diagrams before. It really does look good - but then I am a fan of the SNCF 141R as well.

The other thing about the P1 is that the lay-by sidings / loops were not long enough to accomodate a train that really used the available grunt.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Thanks for posting that picture, I wasn't aware of the model - only having seen scheme drawings / diagrams before. It really does look good - but then I am a fan of the SNCF 141R as well.

The other thing about the P1 is that the lay-by sidings / loops were not long enough to accomodate a train that really used the available grunt.

Regards

Chris H

Models of this proposal are pretty common in the larger scales. I know of several in 5" gauge and at least 2 in 7 1/4" as live steam models,  they are certainly impressive.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Peterborough East Station must have been a wonderful place pre 1923 with the lovely GER blue, the tasteful LNWR black and the stupendous MR Crimson Lake. Much more colourful than the apple green of the GNR round the corner.

Of course those waiting for their green engine with its unpainted coaches to arrive would see the finest livery trains passing as they made their way to the GER station, so for today's poll it has to be none other than the Midland Railway's Crimson Lake.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

Peterborough East Station must have been a wonderful place pre 1923 with the lovely GER blue, the tasteful LNWR black and the stupendous MR Crimson Lake. Much more colourful than the apple green of the GNR round the corner.

Of course those waiting for their green engine with its unpainted coaches to arrive would see the finest livery trains passing as they made their way to the GER station, so for today's poll it has to be none other than the Midland Railway's Crimson Lake.

At Cambridge all four could have been seen in the same station!

I think I'd go for GER blue as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 31A said:

At Cambridge all four could have been seen in the same station!

I think I'd go for GER blue as well.

Yeah I know that but saying Cambridge or any other place, like York, where there was multiple railways converging on one station isn't so much fun as getting out the wooden spoon to stir things up as good as saying Peterborough East.

I am on my way to reflect on things while I sit on the naughty step.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

19 hours ago, FarrMan said:

There are plenty of classes of loco, steam, diesel and electric, that it would be nice to have preserved. Some of the very early locos, or the heyday of the broad gauge, and many others would be nice to see the originals still, especially in working order. I think my vote must go to the leader class from Bulleid. An interesting idea that, with more development, could have been successful. As it was, it appears to have hardly been given a chance.

I recall reading somewhere the original wartime plan for it was to have been oil fired. When they found out how much the (imported American) oil would actually cost, everything immediately reverted to coal firing. If at that point they had specified a mechanical stoker, the project could have been much more successful.

Even then, it's really just a strange looking, shortened Garratt. I wonder what Beyer, Peacock & Company would have designed if asked to make something about that long and with six driven axles?

• RMweb Premium

So we stood on the first tee at 8.30, and precisely as the first ball was struck, the heavens opened. They remained open until the eighth hole, by which time we had decided to go in after nine. I then spoke respectfully to the weather gods, something along the lines of "give us a f****** break will you?", and lo the rain stopped and we carried on and finished the round. And I played to my handicap. Now the sun has appeared. I'll now count yesterday's poll.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2