Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

I have been pondering today’s inspired subject over breakfast. I’m post-steam so my choices are all diesels. As for classes as a whole, I think the class 50 Warship names take some beating as do the original names applied to the class 60s (British mountains, scientists and pioneers. Having said that, both classes have a few odd cases which might confuse the man in the street. For example, I’m sure many people having seen 50021 Rodney might wonder why the name of a principal character from a TV sitcom was on the side of a locomotive. Anyway, Gilbert has asked for best, most appropriate and evocative so bearing that in mind my three choices are:

Best: 47484 ISAMBARD KINGDOM BRUNEL 

Most appropriate: D1000 WESTERN ENTERPRISE

Evocative: 60088 Buachaille Etive Mor (a quite splendid mountain on the edge of Rannoch Moor)

• RMweb Premium

How about 60835 for the way it just rolls off the tongue?

6026 has a nice ring to it as well.

Being more serious, any of the Sir Walter Scott names would do for me but if I had to pick just one loco rather than a class, though, it would be 5069.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I suppose I should have gone for that name! Although I marginally prefer it’s D9008 form.

However, I’ll stick with ‘The Wolf’.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

6026 has a nice ring to it as well.

Being more serious, any of the Sir Walter Scott names would do for me but if I had to pick just one loco rather than a class, though, it would be 5069.

Nice numbers, but what about the names? I had to look all three up :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Being a self-declared Southern sort of cove, you might be surprised that I am eschewing Westward Ho! or even Selsey Bill for some older locos from that other railway in the south-west. The Dean Singles had a rather good set of names, and I like, among others, Atalanta and Fire King. I suspect their Flying Dutchman predates Flying Scotsman by some years, too. That said, racehorses were an inspired choice for a railway that certainly had some racing sections of line. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Too many from Sir Walter Scott in the NBR D29/30 Scott and D11/2 GC Director classes, however this name was one of a few used again on the Peppercorn A1s.

2059764713_A160135MadgeWildfire.JPG.98ea94b513123298735e308eaad066bc.JPG

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Like 3

I think the Gresley pacifics had some of the best names. Merlin, Garganey, Night Hawk and Shotover are the most evocative, in my opinion. If I had to pick one it would be Merlin. I just love the way it sounds and how it rolls off the tongue. For the most appropriate I’d pick Sir Nigel Gresley.

For a future poll, how about extinct classes that we think should have at least one preserved member? Apologies if we’ve already done this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Being a self-declared Southern sort of cove

So, as there wasn't a WC called Lulworth Cove you'll have to settle for 5003 Lulworth Castle then.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My choice would be LNER 2510 "Quicksilver" - closely followed by the GWR Broad gauge "Rover".

Another fine one - for a small loco is "Fair Rosamund!

And for at least two of Colonel Stephens' locos "Hesperus" - aka "The Wreck"!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

So, as there wasn't a WC called Lulworth Cove you'll have to settle for 5003 Lulworth Castle then.

I can go one better than that - 7806 Cockington Manor, which I saw. Nowadays called Cockington Court, it was where Sherry and I married in 2015!

• Like 2

Flying Scotsman must be the one that stands out above the rest .

Most steam locomotives seem to have evocative names but modern traction with daft names like “East Anglian Daily Times” are do nothing. In the diesel era the Westerns, the Peaks and some of the Warships are the only ones that work for me.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, great northern said:

Locomotive names. Steam or diesel, old or new, what have been the best, most evocative and appropriate names applied to locos over the years? By class or individual loco, if you prefer to nominate what you consider to be the best name ever.

26 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Flying Scotsman must be the one that stands out above the rest .

Hidden in plain sight - so obviously stands out above all others as the most appropriate and evocative loco name of all time that it totally slipped my mind!  Thanks for the reminder @jazzer!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Hidden in plain sight - so obviously stands out above all others as the most appropriate and evocative loco name of all time that it totally slipped my mind!  Thanks for the reminder @jazzer!

There used to be a chippy (i.e. a retailer of chips) at Bankfoot, between Perth and Pitlochry, that was called 'The Frying Scotsman'.

Lloyd

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The best set of names for locomotives were those applied to the class 57 rescue locos , also known as the Thunderbirds. My favorite is 57307 Lady Penelope (Still carries the nameplates). Followed by 57311 Parker who drove 57316 FAB 1. "Yus m'lady"

The names caused so many puffer nutters to go ape, but to the travelling public had their broken down Vomiter been rescued by "Virgil Tracy" it would have some meaning and bring a possible smile to their faces. More than "Gay Crusader" or "Happy Knight" would have done, I wonder if they were ever coupled together? 

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

58 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

During the course of continuing sorting of Mum and Dad's photographs I came across these two which must date from sometime after the 1946 LNER renumbering scheme was applied. The two 2 1/4 inch x 3 1/4 inch contact prints (120 roll film, 8 frames to a roll) would have been taken with Dad's Zeiss bellows camera - which I still have in working order.

[Pic of V2 number 813)

Hope you like them.

Wonderful.  813 was a King's Cross loco, renumbered in May 1946, and there's a photo of it on an express freight running north from Finsbury Park in Tuffrey's V2 book.  813 had a plain stovepipe chimney and a U-shaped smoke deflector surrounding the rear of it - don't know if that was unique, but it was certainly unusual.

5 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

I think the Gresley pacifics had some of the best names. Merlin, Garganey, Night Hawk and Shotover are the most evocative, in my opinion. If I had to pick one it would be Merlin. I just love the way it sounds and how it rolls off the tongue. For the most appropriate I’d pick Sir Nigel Gresley.

For a future poll, how about extinct classes that we think should have at least one preserved member? Apologies if we’ve already done this.

Well we learn something every day and Garganey before becoming Sir Ronald Matthews was a new one on me. For those less Headekated than what I his  A  Garganey is the name of   a small duck, which is what I will need to do, I think.:blush_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info about V2 number 813, which helps with the approximate time frame. 

Dad - and possibly Mum - must have been visiting his parents, as they were married in March 1946 and lived with Mum's Father and sister in Hounslow till they moved to Purley circa 1948 (?).

My paternal Grandfather was a signalman (GNR / LNER / BR) through till his retirement from Westwood Box in 1954 - shortly before the W1 laid on its side at the bottom of the box steps. Grandfather was promoted to North Box about 1930, but had gained further promotion to Crescent Box and then a transfer to Westwood Box by mid 1939.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 3