Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Caley Blue, and my dad's cousin was an accredited expert in all things Caley - he once told me that he had the drawings for a Caley pacific, which was never built, but when he died, the drawings were not among the papers which were sorted through by various railway luminaries, and the bulk were sent to the NRM, where they reamain archived.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Murky, but improving. That's the weather, by the way. I don't seem to do improving that much any more. The day commences with two more views of 62529 setting off on its way home to Cambridge.

597991992_325292.JPG.78592dd8469e85bfe5f3332ff7bb627c.JPG

59511495_425293.JPG.5a79039fdfeb6a14a78f2d6f0f1da975.JPG

Now to count the poll. I've a feeling the winner will be blue, but which shade?

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Blue it was. Hardly anything else got a look in. Once again, the last vote tipped the scales, so GE blue pipped Caledonian by 7 votes to 6. It seems then that a GE blue painted D16 would be the ideal for quite a lot of people.

Mainly because I want to see how much people vote along partisan lines, today we shall consider the liveries of the post grouping period. There were a few variations which mean it isn't quite limited to four choices. i have placed a small side bet on Clive's choice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well that's an easy one, Gilbert - LNER green locos and teak coaches!  Even after having given it several seconds of due consideration.

52 minutes ago, great northern said:

It seems then that a GE blue painted D16 would be the ideal for quite a lot of people.

A D16/3 in GE blue? Sacrilage!

D16/3 was an LNER rebuild with a larger boiler etc. The forerunners were the (LNER) D15 & D16.

In GE days as built, before all the mods were done, they were  S69 in those days. Looked a lot different.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, great northern said:

Blue it was. Hardly anything else got a look in. Once again, the last vote tipped the scales, so GE blue pipped Caledonian by 7 votes to 6. It seems then that a GE blue painted D16 would be the ideal for quite a lot of people.

Mainly because I want to see how much people vote along partisan lines, today we shall consider the liveries of the post grouping period. There were a few variations which mean it isn't quite limited to four choices. i have placed a small side bet on Clive's choice.

I wouldn't rush down to the bookies.

The GWR totally lacked any imagination when it came to liveries, only minor tweaks over the 25 years of grouping.

The LNER started off not having to do much repainting for 3 of its pre group companies locos as they already had similar liveries, I know the greens were slightly different shades but they were similar. Coaches wise the idea of saving on paint did produce some nice looking ones. It was a brave attempt to break away from their traditional green with unpainted wood coaches when the streamlined trains came into service.

The SR had quite a drab green despite the lining on its coaches not very inspiring.

The LMS could have done better with not adopting the MR Crimson Lake, it didn't sit well on many of the locomotives from the lesser railways. They might have done better had they gone for the LNWR livery for the locomotives as the later BR mixed traffic livery did look OK to very good on most locos, even the GWR ones. The use of Crimson Lake on the coaches seemed to suit most designs of coaches. 

I have left one livery out as this is my final choice Mr Bulleid's "Sunshine". It was bold and bright something not seen on the railways until the likes of Inter-City, Network Southeast and the various freight sectors. Too late as the public had got use to bright and bold colours in every day life.

So Bulleid's Sunshine it is.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

A D16/3 in GE blue? Sacrilage!

D16/3 was an LNER rebuild with a larger boiler etc. The forerunners were the (LNER) D15 & D16.

In GE days as built, before all the mods were done, they were  S69 in those days. Looked a lot different.

Stewart

Ah but I didn't say a D16/3 Stewart.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I wouldn't rush down to the bookies.

The GWR totally lacked any imagination when it came to liveries, only minor tweaks over the 25 years of grouping.

The LNER started off not having to do much repainting for 3 of its pre group companies locos as they already had similar liveries, I know the greens were slightly different shades but they were similar. Coaches wise the idea of saving on paint did produce some nice looking ones. It was a brave attempt to break away from their traditional green with unpainted wood coaches when the streamlined trains came into service.

The SR had quite a drab green despite the lining on its coaches not very inspiring.

The LMS could have done better with not adopting the MR Crimson Lake, it didn't sit well on many of the locomotives from the lesser railways. They might have done better had they gone for the LNWR livery for the locomotives as the later BR mixed traffic livery did look OK to very good on most locos, even the GWR ones. The use of Crimson Lake on the coaches seemed to suit most designs of coaches. 

I have left one livery out as this is my final choice Mr Bulleid's "Sunshine". It was bold and bright something not seen on the railways until the likes of Inter-City, Network Southeast and the various freight sectors. Too late as the public had got use to bright and bold colours in every day life.

So Bulleid's Sunshine it is.

Oh, bu****, I've just lost 2p.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

My apologies, the history of the Clauds is complex, The D16/3 rebuilds are what was shown in the last picture, done in LNER days. Without going into all the details, the D14 & D15, and later D16 builds, had the smaller boilers. The class originated in GER days as the S46, with more batches being built under different id's. My fault with the S69, a typo as I had in my head a photo that had been 'shopped, of the B12 at Sheringham (again a rebuild by the LNER with a bigger boiler), showing it in a fictitious GER blue livery. I can't post it on here for copyright reasons, but it is......different.

Stewart

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Clive

Having got it right, why change it? I will go for Brunswick green and chocolate and cream.

Lloyd

• Like 2
  • Agree 2