Peterborough North

great northern

Gilbert,

Reading about your kit building turorial reminds me about TW's hilarious after dinner speech at his 60th bash when Julie and I were in tears as he recounted his days as a teacher, especially 'Fatty Clayton' mooning through the window, it's no wonder he took up journalism. After teaching adolescents it must be a doddle imparting his wisdom to a willing recipient and give it a couple of weeks and I can bring all my unfinished kits over for the 'expert' to finish.

Optimistic of Ancaster

• Like 3

Gilbert,

You MUST have a B 16/1 !!! RCTS Part 2B, Fig 161, (opposite page 132), shows "61410 passing Grantham on an up Class H goods, August 1958."

Surely, if it has passed grantham, then it must at least arrive at Peterborough.

One more to add to the list. I believe that at the time it was a York (50 A) loco.

Stuart

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Reading about your kit building turorial reminds me about TW's hilarious after dinner speech at his 60th bash when Julie and I were in tears as he recounted his days as a teacher, especially 'Fatty Clayton' mooning through the window, it's no wonder he took up journalism. After teaching adolescents it must be a doddle imparting his wisdom to a willing recipient and give it a couple of weeks and I can bring all my unfinished kits over for the 'expert' to finish.

Optimistic of Ancaster

A "willing" recipient certainly Dave, but one who was given more than the standard issue of thumbs. I suppose what I'm trying to say is, don't hold your breath. :jester: Anyway, what unfinished kits?

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

You MUST have a B 16/1 !!! RCTS Part 2B, Fig 161, (opposite page 132), shows "61410 passing Grantham on an up Class H goods, August 1958."

Surely, if it has passed grantham, then it must at least arrive at Peterborough.

One more to add to the list. I believe that at the time it was a York (50 A) loco.

Stuart

Sorry guys, it isn't going to happen. I know B16's did get South of Peterborough, but it didn't occur very often. I'm trying to do a snapshot of a typical day in the late '50's, so really I'm looking at locos that appeared daily. Now I might, and do, stretch it to something that would have appeared once a week, because there was always something out of the ordinary to be seen, but I'm trying not to go further than that. It's insufferably pompous to talk about creating a historical record, but I really do feel that now so much stock is readily available to create something like an accurate picture of what actually happened half a century and more ago, I should try to replicate that scene correctly. I know I can add captions making it clear that I am showing a very rare event, but for me it would start to grate, and make me dissatisfied, however slightly, with what I have.

Also, when I think about it more, it is this side of things which to a large degree is my personal input into the layout. I may not have, and could not have built the track or the buildings, or even most of the stock, but I can nevertheless put my own stamp on the project, and this is one way in which I am doing it.

There is one other practical consideration. I could make a list of every class of locomotive which was seen at Peterborough North in 1958. It would be a very long list indeed. The floodgates must remain firmly closed.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, it isn't going to happen. I know B16's did get South of Peterborough, but it didn't occur very often. I'm trying to do a snapshot of a typical day in the late '50's, so really I'm looking at locos that appeared daily. Now I might, and do, stretch it to something that would have appeared once a week, because there was always something out of the ordinary to be seen, but I'm trying not to go further than that. It's insufferably pompous to talk about creating a historical record, but I really do feel that now so much stock is readily available to create something like an accurate picture of what actually happened half a century and more ago, I should try to replicate that scene correctly. I know I can add captions making it clear that I am showing a very rare event, but for me it would start to grate, and make me dissatisfied, however slightly, with what I have.

Also, when I think about it more, it is this side of things which to a large degree is my personal input into the layout. I may not have, and could not have built the track or the buildings, or even most of the stock, but I can nevertheless put my own stamp on the project, and this is one way in which I am doing it.

There is one other practical consideration. I could make a list of every class of locomotive which was seen at Peterborough North in 1958. It would be a very long list indeed. The floodgates must remain firmly closed.

To be honest....one of mine visiting on occasions when I come over, is most likely quite prototypical! ;)

• Like 2

To be honest....one of mine visiting on occasions when I come over, is most likely quite prototypical! ;)

Funny that, because I was thinking that very same thing! After all, we know it works and has a reliable DCC setup on it.... I think a special coupling might be in order now Tom :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert

I totally agree with your approach, time and again too many people try to justify some unrealistic formation/loco/situation by saying "I have a picture..." whereas what you are doing is presenting the railway as it appeared on a "typical" day in 1958. While I could in no way replicate your attention to detail in that regard, your layout continually provides me with inspiration to aim higher in the way I am representing motive power and workings through Wakefield Westgate in the early 50s. I know I won't get it perfect, far from it, but I enjoy that aspect of modelling the mundane and routine far more than having stock and formations that are all over the shop. One day I'll pluck up the courage to show my efforts, but at the moment its just watching what goes on here and working quietly on my own layout that keeps me inspired. That, and all the lovely pics of pacifics... :no:

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I totally agree with your approach, time and again too many people try to justify some unrealistic formation/loco/situation by saying "I have a picture..." whereas what you are doing is presenting the railway as it appeared on a "typical" day in 1958. While I could in no way replicate your attention to detail in that regard, your layout continually provides me with inspiration to aim higher in the way I am representing motive power and workings through Wakefield Westgate in the early 50s. I know I won't get it perfect, far from it, but I enjoy that aspect of modelling the mundane and routine far more than having stock and formations that are all over the shop. One day I'll pluck up the courage to show my efforts, but at the moment its just watching what goes on here and working quietly on my own layout that keeps me inspired. That, and all the lovely pics of pacifics... :no:

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony. If I can help in any way with details just give me a shout, as I do have quite a bit of information in my library. Having said that, TW and I were discussing train formations the other day, and noticed that when we compared 1950's photos with the official formations there were often substantial differences. Not surprising I suppose when you consider failures and vehicles in works, but we also found a number of photos of trains which we couldn't place at all, as they were nothing like any official consist.

It doesn't alter my view though that what was unusual in real life should be unusual on the model, and that which was very unusual or unique should not be on the model at all, unless of course it falls into the category of what David Jenkinson called "funny trains", in which case it should be well out of sight until it appears, and should only do so infrequently, or by request. Not that I have anything in that category........yet.

• RMweb Premium

They give a good perspective. Is the Bridge next on the list of improvements?

I think the bridges will be the last things to be done actually. There are still some add ons to the main station buildings to come, and then the District Engineer's complex. The bridges are OK for now, so I'd rather fill in the bits I don't have at all first.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another +1 for the helicopter shots. They might not be 'life like' but they give us an excellent view of what the layout looks like for real.

Fair point, Brian (and others). I see the whole thing all the time, but of course you don't. so I'll carry on doing some longer distance views as well.

• Like 4

Having spent many hours trainspotting on Peterborough North platforms in the late 1950s, this certainly brings back happy memories. However, with the roof now on it has reminded me just how gloomy and full of smoke it often seemed. I think this was partly due to the large number of light engine, empty coach stock and trip workings between the various yards but was especially so when heavy northbound passenger trains which had stopped at Peterborough had to be banked out of the station. I hope that is going to be replicated (along with all the smoke?).

A further lasting impression was of the station announcer - "Peterborough, Peterborough, this is Peterborough. This is the North station Peterborough. The train now arriving at platform......" Now if that could also be included it really would take me back 54 years!

• Like 2

Don't know about anyone else, but I think I'm getting withdrawal symptoms.

Last night I woke my wife too when I woke from a dream shouting, "Streeeeeak!" just like we used to at Doncaster.......

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys. No, just other things have intervened, and I've run out of inspiration a bit when looking for different views when I go to take some photos. Gravy Train is visiting tomorrow though, and we will get a bit more done, so after that I will have something new to report.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

The only reason I started building Haymarket 64B was because I got bored when you stopped the Peterborough North updates.

Please start them again soon as I am running out of money.

Regards

David

So am I David, I lost three golf balls today. :sad_mini: Still much cheaper than another new loco or two though I suppose.

• Like 1