Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure I can recommend anyone taking up golf. I like to watch it - and Deb and I attended a few tournaments, including the Ryder Cup and the Open, so the drama is not lost on me. My problem is I used to be a caddy as a teenager. I have watched that little white ball turn strong, successful, rich men into gibbering wrecks - men so angry with themselves that they in some cases could no longer even find the words to swear properly.

You have been warned!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure I can recommend anyone taking up golf. I like to watch it - and Deb and I attended a few tournaments, including the Ryder Cup and the Open, so the drama is not lost on me. My problem is I used to be a caddy as a teenager. I have watched that little white ball turn strong, successful, rich men into gibbering wrecks - men so angry with themselves that they in some cases could no longer even find the words to swear properly.

You have been warned!

A timely warning. I am unfortunately not very strong or rich, though I have been moderately successful, but I have gibbered....oh yes, many times have I gibbered, and danced with rage :ireful: But you see, i have to keep going back for more, because the law of averages says that one day that perfect round will come along when no gibbering is required, when I remain calm and happy :sungum: I've only waited 50 years for that day so far, but it will come......won't it? :O

• Like 3

A timely warning. I am unfortunately not very strong or rich, though I have been moderately successful, but I have gibbered....oh yes, many times have I gibbered, and danced with rage :ireful: But you see, i have to keep going back for more, because the law of averages says that one day that perfect round will come along when no gibbering is required, when I remain calm and happy :sungum: I've only waited 50 years for that day so far, but it will come......won't it? :O

I think Fate has a special dispensation to suspend the Law of Averages on golf courses.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think Fate has a special dispensation to suspend the Law of Averages on golf courses.

You could well be right. I'm also a bit concerned though that I may for years have been misinterpreting the instruction to "address" the golf ball. Perhaps "Try going where I'm aiming you for once you little ******* " isn't the right way of doing things. :no: Or perhaps it is the ball that is confused? Does it think "address" means "that impenetrable jungle fifty yards right of the fairway"? I've never knowingly told it to "get lost" - so why does it? :scratchhead:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

More strange happenings today. :O How did this get so far South?

post-98-0-03741700-1347985025_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-18624600-1347985092_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-99399900-1347985130_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-41550800-1347985173_thumb.jpg

Actually, it came North. TW brought it up to see how it runs on DCC, having reviewed it for BRM. I have to say it is absolutely stunning - each new model just seems to take things still further. Don't get too excited though, as this is a review example. The main batch is still on its way from China.

• Like 19

More strange happenings today. :O How did this get so far South?

post-98-0-03741700-1347985025_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-18624600-1347985092_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-99399900-1347985130_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-41550800-1347985173_thumb.jpg

Actually, it came North. TW brought it up to see how it runs on DCC, having reviewed it for BRM. I have to say it is absolutely stunning - each new model just seems to take things still further. Don't get too excited though, as this is a review example. The main batch is still on its way from China.

What a beauty Gilbert!

It's just a shame for me that most of them (if not all) were on the CLC in 1950. :(

• RMweb Premium

And here is the other side - just as nice. Tony and I were a bit surprised to see that Andy has already posted the review, as it was only submitted yesterday. I thought I was first with something for once.

post-98-0-67857400-1347986161_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-99135600-1347986404_thumb.jpg

Photos by TW, using my camera.

• Like 13

It is rather!

Well, you've got plenty of other 4-4-0s to keep you more than happily occupied to come soon ;).

Yes indeed! ;)

I had also not realised until reading the Tony Wright Review that it's the D11/2 not the D11/1. :umbrage: It still is a stunning locomotive and it just makes me realise how lucky we are when one looks at the current RTR locos appearing at a price significantly lower than our European counterparts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the pics Gilbert

It does look nice. My credit card is shivering and just wondering how far north the D11/1's got and if one could be justified through Wakefield in the early 50s. Being a bit of a battleship man, 62668 Jutland would be a nice addition to the fleet...

Cheers

Tony

I particularly like the shot of the Austerity in post # 2581. You said you struggled go get a shot of from that postion, but I think it was worth it! Folk routinely say the Bachmann Bullied Pacific represented a changing point in RTR quality, but they forget this 2-8-0 preceded it by some years. I bought one when the first came out and stuck it on a shelf just to gaze at.

Re the D11/2, it stands out above any GCR 4-4-0 I have ever painted or seen, as it footplate is perfectly level! Roll on the delivery of the D11/1.

Slightly up a siding here, Bachmann appears to have latched onto something GEM did many years ago, that of producing a trio of locos from the same railway company (each loco helps to sell the other two!). The GCR 2-8-0, 4-4-0 and 0-6-0 are a brilliant trio but if Bachy ever considers throwing in a tank engine, I hope it is a C13 4-4-2T.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Surely this is going to be a strong seller for Bachmann....?

Let's hope so. The last time Bachmann experimented with a previously unserved market, they opened the floodgates for a growing range of Southern EMUs. With luck, this little beauty will have the same effect with models of Scottish prototypes.

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert, I'm sure the information is in here somewhere, but as a lot of pages have passed under the bridge since then, I wondered if you could remind me which camera you use for these excellent shots. Also, it probably sounds like a strange request but would it be possible to see a photo of said camera on the layout. My DSLR cannot obtain those ground level shots now so familiar on Peterborough.

Larry

That's the only trouble with lovely offerings like the D11, /1 or /2, simply not a machine for the ECML, the last 4-4-0 it hosted improbably enough a Compound... I second Larry's comment about the Bachmann WD, the loco release that along with a Dia 1/108 mineral made OO modelling in the BR steam era a potential possibility from RTR.

...I have watched that little white ball turn strong, successful, rich men into gibbering wrecks ...

And all this, when a moments reflection reveals that all one has to do is drop the ball into the hole eighteen times, and perhaps deadhead the odd weed with the sharpest golfbat you care to carry with you. It's a pleasant enough walk, a perfect round of eighteen, you get to annoy the obsessives with frequent requests to play through, and arrive at the bar so much sooner. And when questioned about one's status the response 'I am a Country Member' more than covers it.

Next week, snooker.

Hi Gilbert, I'm sure the information is in here somewhere, but as a lot of pages have passed under the bridge since then, I wondered if you could remind me which camera you use for these excellent shots. Also, it probably sounds like a strange request but would it be possible to see a photo of said camera on the layout. My DSLR cannot obtain those ground level shots now so familiar on Peterborough.

Larry

Larry

In the absence of Gilbert, I'll tell you. It's a Canon G12 - we're all using them now, it's such a convenient size, lets lots of light in, can be programmed if required (just ask Andy Y about his stacking) and has a lens that's just the right height to represent a 4mm figure's eyeline. We just need a 2mm version now!

Hope this helps

Richard

• Like 2

I think the problem with Golf Balls is that they are female and so there sense of direction is hopeless and no matter how good your stroke is they lose their way due to poor navigation. :angel: :angel: :angel:

Regards,CUTLER2579. Very brave judging by the women I have seen at golf clubs you are a dead man,leave the country now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Larry

Hi Larry,

Yes, it is a G12, and it is excellent. So good in fact that TW is now considering getting one as well. It's the combination of the small size, which allows it to be placed where other cameras can't go, and a really good specification allowing terrific shots which makes it stand out. I'm rather bemused when i read comments about the depth of field I get and so on. It's not me, it's the camera.

As to the D11, it is yet another step in the right direction, and shows really good planning on Bachmann's part. A tank engine would be a logical next step as you say, and now the policy of only doing locos that have a preserved example has been abandoned it seems quite likely. That L&Y tank supports that view too I think. There aren't that many candidates, so that C13 may well come true!.