Peterborough North

great northern

Friends and myself are building an '0' Gauge layout loosely (VERY loosely) based on Peterborough North, we are still laying track but I have the job of providing some buildings and, thus far, I have finished the Crescent Signalbox, a four-road shed and a low relief Public House and it seems to be going well. However, I have searched the web but have completely failed to find pictures of my next project, Spital Bridge, can you (or anyone) help, I have pictures of it from the road it carries but only one of the girder end from the track. Help would be greatly appreciated.

GSD

• RMweb Premium

Friends and myself are building an '0' Gauge layout loosely (VERY loosely) based on Peterborough North, we are still laying track but I have the job of providing some buildings and, thus far, I have finished the Crescent Signalbox, a four-road shed and a low relief Public House and it seems to be going well. However, I have searched the web but have completely failed to find pictures of my next project, Spital Bridge, can you (or anyone) help, I have pictures of it from the road it carries but only one of the girder end from the track. Help would be greatly appreciated.

GSD

Back in May, our member Coldgunner very kindly offered to take some photos of the surviving infrastructure for me, and published them both on here and on his own site. He included a number of detailed shots of both Crescent Bridge and Spital Bridge, which I think have changed little or at all structurally since steam days. May I suggest that you look at those first? They were posted at the end of May, so will be buried many pages back on here, but I was able to find them on Coldgunner's site very quickly using the search facility. If they aren't what you need please do come back to me and I will see what else I can find. I have many photos taken from Spital Bridge, but precious few of the bridge itself.

• RMweb Premium

After a really horrible day this has brightened things up considerably. Fave shot is the 4.4.0. 'around the back'; lovely. However, the four parcels vans and bits and bobs look really good too with 'Fox' sitting opposite.

Spooky that the first passenger has 'the look' of Gilbert as he is now, in his overcoat, transported back to '58.

ATB, P @ 36E

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Will you be placing a small model of yourself somewhere GN?

Is that the roof more or less complete? it looks fantastic, any lighting going in there?

I don't know about a model of myself, but you have started me thinking. Perhaps some teenage versions of contributors to this thread might appear..... though only those more advanced in years of course .Anybody aged 54 out there? If so you could be represented as a bulge under a lady's coat!

To more sensible discussion. The roof still has small bits to add, plus more weathering, and a lot of signage. Lighting is very much under consideration, though I have got no further than that yet.

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert,

those photos look stunning, uncannily realistic.

Karen Rush of 'Karen Rush Art Studios' makes lifelike figures to perfection, animals,birds to the highest details possible.

She did one of eric treacey ( rail photographer) complete with tripod to stand on victoria bridge Carlise, she had even got his cheekbone and head shape correct :-)

will try to get a photo from her, it has to be seen to be believed.

cheers

Peter

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert,

those photos look stunning, uncannily realistic.

Karen Rush of 'Karen Rush Art Studios' makes lifelike figures to perfection, animals,birds to the highest details possible.

She did one of eric treacey ( rail photographer) complete with tripod to stand on victoria bridge Carlise, she had even got his cheekbone and head shape correct :-)

will try to get a photo from her, it has to be seen to be believed.

cheers

Peter

An inspired idea! Said famous cleric majored on ECML photography, I believe, so many of Gilbert's locos would have passed before his lens. I know not whether he ever graced Peterborough North, but, hey.....
  • Like 2

Gilbert,

Watching this layout, as it progresses, is a great joy. Peter (Gravy Train), whose work we are all in awe of, has done you proud; those buildings and that roof are a work of art.

The photographs, also, just get better and better.

When you set out on this project, to build Peterborough North, did you expect it to turn out this well, for it is just superb?

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What a cracking read this thread has been, fascinating to see what Peterborough used to be like - what a gem we have lost. And what a gem this model is as well.

I see mention earlier in the thread about long delays between trains - I'm sorry to say that the prototype is copying Gilbert in that respect yesterday and today, that really is :nono: of them.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I see mention earlier in the thread about long delays between trains - I'm sorry to say that the prototype is copying Gilbert in that respect yesterday and today, that really is :nono: of them.

I think the difference is that they have a rather good excuse for the lack of trains, whereas I had none.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Watching this layout, as it progresses, is a great joy. Peter (Gravy Train), whose work we are all in awe of, has done you proud; those buildings and that roof are a work of art.

The photographs, also, just get better and better.

When you set out on this project, to build Peterborough North, did you expect it to turn out this well, for it is just superb?

Cheers

Mike

Thanks very much Mike. Did I expect it to turn out this well? Frankly, no. I underestimated the abilities of Norman and Peter to produce such realism. I really didn't think it was possible to be that good. Also, I'm delighted that the necessary compression to fit the layout into the space available doesn't seem to have to have stopped the whole thing from looking like what it is supposed to be. So, yes, my hopes and expectations have been exceeded. I am a very fortunate man.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, perhaps one or two of us could sponsor a figure from Karen?

I'd love to have been there, a figure of me aged 8 or 9 would be great.......and what an honour.

Why not Jeff? Good idea, and we shall see what Peter can come up with. My intention is to place figures under the roof where they can't be viewed too closely and their deficiencies will be less noticeable. It would be good though to have some really good quality ones to put in more exposed locations. Juvenile RM Webbers gathered with their Ian Allans at the end of Platform 3?

• Like 1

Exactly. I never made it to Peterborough, except ONCE went through it on a train from Grimsby at about 6 years old, but too young to remember much. And at 8 I was WAY too young for my mum to let me go anywhere by train, alone, or with mates.

So yes, I'd love to be a spotter on your 4mm world.

Gilbert :

Juvenile RM Webbers gathered with their Ian Allans at the end of Platform 3?

There you are Gilbert, a platform end RMwebber at Kings X in 1960. The black coat was made by Quelrain in Salford for export-only but it came back to UK from Italy and I bought it of its owner. White tie and shoes from my rock group days......Poser!

post-6680-0-82306800-1348846109.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

There you are Gilbert, a platform end RMwebber at Kings X in 1960.

Honestly, Larry - that could be a still or publicity shot from a gritty British b&w movie of the era. You certainly struck the pose! I was there in 1961 for sure, but was a bit less photogenic. Whatever, we are assembling a cast of celebs - well, there's you and Bishop Treacy for starters - so Gravy Train can talk to his gifted supplier!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

I seem to remember a bit of a conversation about populating the place way back. At the time I asked if I could be represented in one of the Kings X to Newcastle or 'tother way afternoon expresses as that's the only way I went through PN in the late 50s. Is that still up? I will sponsor myself and the coach if required :stinker: . Please can the loco be Miles Beevor?

Larry, if you look very carefully, way down the platform, behind the striding driver/fireman, you will see me in my shorts :mail: .

Shortly afterwards I cabbed Britannia at Liverpool Street; 1960, a wonderful year.

Sincerely, Phil @36E