Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

A better supported poll, despite concerns over the area covered, which I

will try to avoid today. Two main contenders, and in the end Hexham 5 Bishop Auckland 3 was the score.

Today then our country junction staions will lie anywhere north of the Newcastle to Carlisle line and up to a line running from North Berwick to Greenock. And so finally Graham...... the time has come.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, great northern said:

Hexham 5 Bishop Auckland 3 

Bishop Auckland FC would have been devastated with that scoreline in their 1950s glory days! A founding member of the Northern League, trips to Wembley were numerous in that decade, winning the Amateur Cup several times.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, great northern said:

... not very successful look under the roof.

1156255361_1055under.JPG.667a33e4a712c52bf7fea0dcadef13e1.JPG

Not very successful? You're joking me! I love shots like this, so full of atmosphere. Possibly just a little bit of cropping (if you can be bothered); I'd lose a little bit of the bottom and right hand side to get the loco in the bottom-right 'golden section' position.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Such a choice for this one. Riccarton Junction? Redesmouth Junction? But I will go for Carstairs Junction, for the Dolphinston branch, as well as the Edinburgh line. Apart from the psychiatric hospital, not a lot else there, so definitely bucolic, despite being on the WCML.

Lloyd

• Like 2

According to Wikipedia (which is never wrong, of course), Redesmouth is the modern spelling of the settlement; Reedsmouth is the old version.

The river Rede has a confluence with the north Tyne there, hence the name. 

New one on me!

Edited by LNER4479

3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

According to Wikipedia (which is never wrong, of course), Redesmouth is the modern spelling of the settlement; Reedsmouth is the old version.

The river Rede has a confluence with the north Tyne there, hence the name. 

New one on me!

That's interesting!  It seems the two spellings were interchangeable, at least at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries.  An OS six inch map from 1888-1913 has it has Redesmouth but a Bartholomew half inch map of 1897-1907 has it has Reedsmouth!

Roja 

• Like 1

I'm with you - I'd have laid money on 'rede' being an olde worlde word.

In some respects, perhaps it is. This from the Wiki entry for the river:

The name of the river derives from the Old English Rēade, meaning the red one. The river lends its name to Redesmouth, the point where the mouth is.

Meanwhile, been musing whether I can do proper justice to the station within my 'last great project' plan - think I might be able to! Anybody know of the location being modelled previously?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Just filth tonight. Sheer filth.

968725338_125151.JPG.14a60c4c5983ff42d05b679507934da1.JPG

Our York A2/3 on its usual job, the 7.43 from that City.

1241975449_12a5152.JPG.a193aa6b811c3cbcedc717214609a455.JPG

Just a coincidence that this came to be made up entirely of crimson and cream stock.

Gilbert, I'm always fascinated by the consistsof the coaching stock. I assume like others that you've worked from carriage working books and or prototype pictures. Do you have a spreadsheet that describes the consists. Would that make a good starting point for an article? Could you give any further pointerstell to determine what goes into the rakes. I've got Robert Carroll's PDFs for 1958/60. Where else should I look?

Thanks.

Edited by davidw
Addition and spelling
  • Like 2