Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Well the Decapod did achieve its design brief of out-accelerating electric trains.....but I don't suppose it could really be considered successful.  I thought Clive might have taken a punt on it though!

So hard to pick from the Clauds, J15, B12, E4....oh, I'll go for the Claud as the one on Gilbert's layout really floats my boat every time I see it!

1 hour ago, jazzer said:

I am flabbergasted. In fact my flabber has never been so gasted . Not even a mention of the N7 , which gets my vote.  They revolutionised the jazz services , out of Liverpool St and managed an intensive suburban  service for 40 years at a fraction of the cost of electrification.

Give me one of these any day.

008a.jpg.0d60611ce02a744d88c5f250094eed1d.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Give me one of these any day.

008a.jpg.0d60611ce02a744d88c5f250094eed1d.jpg

Now there’s a funny thing. I’ve always thought that the Enfield/ Chingford EMU’s would look better in traditional maroon , instead of dirty green as if they were escapees from the Southern Region. You’ve just proved me right ! Would it be too much to ask I’d you have one in lovely Crimson and Cream ?:rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A well supported poll, which shows what a lot of successful designs came from the GE. B12 shot off ahead, but was nearly reeled in by the lovely little 0.6.0 tanks. Not quite though, as it won with 6 votes.

Let's look for the very best of the LSWR.

25 minutes ago, great northern said:

Let's look for the very best of the LSWR.

I'm going to nominate LSWR's E1-E84 electrics of 1913, later referred to as 3-Sub.

A revolutionary introduction which led to an explosion in passenger numbers. They set the pattern for passenger services on the Southern that we still see today.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

I'm going to nominate LSWR's E1-E84 electrics of 1913, later referred to as 3-Sub.

A revolutionary introduction which led to an explosion in passenger numbers. They set the pattern for passenger services on the Southern that we still see today.

Though possibly not what Gilbert had in mind, I have to agree that these were the most successful and influential design to come out of the LSWR.  

If we're meant to restrict ourselves to locomotives then I'd go for the Urie H15, which led to the S15 freight class and N15 "Arthurs"

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

0298, as my Ian Allan books classified them, or as people seem to insist on calling them, Beattie Well Tanks. Still grinding their way up to Wenfordbridge in the early 60s, despite being an 1874 design, albeit somewhat rebuilt. Longevity speaks for itself in success terms. 

• Like 4

My vote goes to the Urie H15. These were followed by the S15s and the King Arthurs. They were mixed traffic 4-6-0s with outside cylinders and Walschaerts valve gear. They could be seen as predecessors to the Black Fives and the B1s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

I'll have what he's having.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another vote here for the E1-E84 electrics of 1913, later referred to as 3-Sub, as the overall most influential and long-lived.

However, if it has to be a steam locomotive my vote goes to the Urie S15 4-6-0 - very closely followed by the Drummond T9 4-4-0 (preferably as superheated and re-boilered by Urie and with a "Water-cart" tender), as they are just such a delightful looker and good performer.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1