Peterborough North

great northern

Happy Christmas Gilbert thanks for sharing PN with us .You can take me back to my childhood at 5.30 tomorrow morning run Golden Fleece with a rake of blood and custards.You will have to play Chris Montez "Hey baby do you want to dance" just need my dad moaning  big sister and me and it will be Christmas 1962!! :no:

• RMweb Premium

Happy Christmas Gilbert thanks for sharing PN with us .You can take me back to my childhood at 5.30 tomorrow morning run Golden Fleece with a rake of blood and custards.You will have to play Chris Montez "Hey baby do you want to dance" just need my dad moaning  big sister and me and it will be Christmas 1962!! :no:

You had me interested there until you mentioned 5.30am. :O

SNIPPED> Thanks to all once more for your kind words, your support and encouragement, for gently, (well nearly always anyway), pointing out my errors and helping me to put them right, and for making this thread such fun. SNIPPED

Do I see a fitted three plank wagon with no vacuum pipe peeping under Crescent bridge?  :devil:

I deliberately didn't get any brussels sprouts knowing who is coming to dinner tomorrow!  :no2:

Lots of eating and drinking here at Rush Towers (and a bit of model railwaying), then it's off to Vienna for the New Year (and the trams  :mail: )

All the best for Christmas.

Andy

• Like 3

Right, been out, it's manic, came home quickly. For the second succesive year I order an eight pound turkey, to be told when I collect it " You're in luck sir, none of those left, so you've got a twelve pounder for the same price". :O OK, it's a bargain, but it is going to take a lot of eating. Turkey sandwiches anyone?

I well remember the saga of an oversized turkey here. We've since gone for a much smaller bird that lasts just long enough for three days maximum. The days of turkey into the New Year are thankfully long gone!

It was pouring with rain too, as usual, so outdoor activities abandoned and a few more shots taken instead. Thanks to all once more for your kind words, your support and encouragement, for gently, (well nearly always anyway), pointing out my errors and helping me to put them right, and for making this thread such fun. Happy Christmas to all. And so to the 5.00pm from Kings Cross. This train terminates here.

Good to see it back on the roster again Gilbert! There's still one more of your new arrivals yet to feature in your thread by the way....

Oh, **** , I've just realised I forgot to get any brussels sprouts. :yahoo:  No :stinker: tomorrow then. On that note, have a good one!

We've got home-brew mince pies, cake and pudding for that sort of effect here! Don't do sprouts as it causes "problems"..... ;)

Have a good one Gilbert!

• Like 1

Do I see a fitted three plank wagon with no vacuum pipe peeping under Crescent bridge?

Andy!  As I'm sure Gilbert was just about to type, it's a pre-48 survivor still in LMS bauxite.  Faded.  Or dirty.  Or both.  Or very clean.  Or something.

Or they robbed the pipe to get a failure on the main away.  I'm sure he's got it covered.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Andy!  As I'm sure Gilbert was just about to type, it's a pre-48 survivor still in LMS bauxite.  Faded.  Or dirty.  Or both.  Or very clean.  Or something.

Or they robbed the pipe to get a failure on the main away.  I'm sure he's got it covered.

Or just another howler :O

All the best from Oz Gilbert, look forward to more news from PN in 2013!

Have to agree about that third shot of the A2/3. Magnificent, ( :O and on a controversial cross-topic note, I think a model of the A2/3 would outsell the proposed P2 from Hornby by about ten to one!!).

Cheers,

Peter C.

( :O and on a controversial cross-topic note, I think a model of the A2/3 would outsell the proposed P2 from Hornby by about ten to one!!).

I'd be inclined to agree Peter.  So long as it was in the main range and not with too much moulded on though ;).  I know I'm only ever going to make a finite number of those things before the inevitable.....

Cheers,

Edited by Tim
  • Like 2

I'd be inclined to agree Peter.  So long as it was in the main range and not with too much moulded on though ;).  I know I'm only ever going to make a finite number of those things before the inevitable.....

Cheers,

Tim,

If I was there not here, you would have had another order! Have enjoyed your postings and threads, very inspirational, keep them up please!

ATB'

Peter C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We've been saying that a Thompson Pacific must be just around the corner for some years now though, haven't we? I still can't see Hornby doing it, especially as they have just announced the P2. That to me shows where their priorities still lie. I agree that Bachmann are the more likely candidate, but again, didn't we all think that a Peppercorn A2 was a cert within a short while after the A1, only to find that we had to wait years.

Should I suddenly feel an overwhelming need for another one, unlikely, as I'm sure my locoholism is gradually responding to treatment, :yes: * I'm sure Tim will step in and provide.

* There are only six entries left in the "still to come" column of my locomotive database.

And now I shall carry on drilling out loco lamps and trying to get them to fit on overscale Bachmann lamp irons. And why can't I see close up with my glasses on, and still can't see when i take them off either? :angry:

• Like 3

You may be right Gilbert, who knows. I have been saying for years (in print occasionally) that the Thompson Pacific is the big hole in the East Coast motive power line up. As far as 4mm scale models go, the LMS and GWR has a full complement of big passenger classes to which will be added the 'Star' in 2013. The armchair entrenched silliness lobby has probably put RTR manufacturers off producing a Thompson Pecific in the past but I think the tide has turned now.

They were there part of the E. Region scene and no amount of airbrushing them out of history will change that fact. Besides, they are attractive locomotives in their own right and I feel the market is there now. If I were at Bachmann writing the 2013 manuscript, it would include an A2/3 while 2014 would be ripe for the A2/2 'Cock 'O the North' variant....!

• Like 2

* There are only six entries left in the "still to come" column of my locomotive database.

And now I shall carry on drilling out loco lamps and trying to get them to fit on overscale Bachmann lamp irons. And why can't I see close up with my glasses on, and still can't see when i take them off either? :angry:

OK, I'll bite!

a] What are the six?

b] Could the glasses issue be a problem of too much product from 61A and beyond? :O  After all it was Christmas! :angel:

Cheers,

From Oz,( 36degC at 8.53pm here)

Peter C.

Edited to remove confusion for Jeff P. :no:

Edited by 45568

• RMweb Premium

Oz, I read your post as 36C...Frodingham, LOL

Gilbert, when did you last have an eye test?

February last year Jeff, followed by a cataract operation. For years now I have had varifocals, and always found that the distance which usually occurs when wanting to do some work on the layout falls neatly between two parts of the lens. Lots of other people have said they get the same problem. I read without glasses, but unfortunately can't see well enough without them at that vital distance either. Age :senile: :sadclear:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, I'll bite!

a] What are the six?

b] Could the glasses issue be a problem of too much product from 61A and beyond? :O  After all it was Christmas! :angel:

Cheers,

From Oz,( 36degC at 8.53pm here)

Peter C.

Edited to remove confusion for Jeff P. :no:

You're after classified information here Peter. :secret: However, having made my lunch, turkey sandwiches - I swear the blasted thing has got bigger overnight - I have received clearance to give you some information.

LMS Compound.

LMS 4P x2. One from Bachmann, plus the one I'm supposed to be buidling under TW's supervision.

J11 when it appears.

LMS 2P, but that's a long term project.

And one which is so secret I'm surprised that even I know about it.

Actually, it's seven really, as I forgot the Heljan 02.

That's not counting the ones Tim has already got to renumber and weather of course. :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Way back on 14th November Andy Y posted a photo (post 2894) and said "Here's a nice angle it should be possible to replicate now/soon."

I've no idea how to do links, so you will need to refer back to that post, on page 116, to see the image he was talking about. "Soon", when it involves action by me, is a very flexible term, but I finally got round to having a go at it.

post-98-0-11902300-1356530232_thumb.jpg

It's the right sort of loco, but I don't have any of the depicted rolling stock, so I've used something vaguely similar. That escaping steam from the safety valves would have hidden a multitude of sins, but I don't know how to do that either. I'm never going to get round the absence of the extension to the hotel, which should fill that gap on the far right hand side, and I can't get the angles right because of the compression of the track plan. You can at least see though that it is supposed to be the same place. That horrible tree won't last long either. Oh, and I tried to replicate the rather bleached colours of the original...... but I couldn't. Seriously though, I'm not displeased with the result.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

The ongoing discussion about when someone will finally produce another variant of the LNER pacific is interesting - but may I, as a Southern person, but hopefully without malice, put a slightly different perspective on this?

The RTR mass market may not - whisper it - really be conversant with what the LNER afficionado knows to be the huge differences among classes A1, A2, A3 - and Tornado. Frankly, even more than GWR 4-6-0s, which at least had the decency to be different sizes, LNER pacifics all look quite similar - A4 being the exotic exception, of course. Sure, smoke deflectors, German smoke deflectors, cabs etc are a dramatic variation, but other differences are more subtle to the untrained eye of the mass RTR market. That, I'm sure is why the P2 is being modelled with the original appearance.

On that basis, I'd put money on a W1 before another pacific.

Discuss?

• Like 2