Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Another turn and no trains to be seen, but a nice snapshot anyway.

1701707995_12forecourt2.JPG.a4543ebd650bd0eaace5eb8dacfb1ad9.JPG

Fantastic representation of the Hotel.   I recall going there to check it out for a function my company was having in the early '70s.   The manager showed me everywhere and included a viewing of a bedroom.  "It's Dora Bryan's " to my astonishment ( she was appearing at the Key Theatre  just down the road).   

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dragonboy said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the video footage on Saturday Gilbert, as I have your layout for nearly 9 years now.

I was very disappointed to see that it had gone yesterday along with all the other Saturday content as I would have liked to rewatch a few items.

Do you consider the layout to be broadly speaking “finished” or if not what’s left to be done?

It will never be finished, I'm sure. There are detail bits to add, more work on the scene the other side of Crescent Bridge, and a few other ideas bubbling around. Then of course there is also the operational side of things, and I shall continue to tweak that. And some kind manufacturer is sure to come up with some more locos and/or rolling stock which I can't resist.

• Like 8

I saved the videos to my 'watch later' list in Youtube. They are still there at the moment and working so YouTube could be your friend.

They seem to be on the World of Railways channel.

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Gilbert,

I suspect the V2 will be brought to a stand at the Crescent Box. Fireman having to correct the lamps.

Paul,

It is only another half mile to journey's end, Paul, so I think I blind eye may be turned. In any event, there will be a problem, as this loco dates from a time when it seemed a good idea to superglue lamps in position. Yet another of the myriad things to be dealt with "in due course".

• Friendly/supportive 4

How many weeks/months has it taken to get through the sequence? 

Also, will there be any extras floating around now the sequence is finished? or will the poor 'over worked and underpaid' signalman get a chance to enjoy a cuppa and read the news and views of the world?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sharky said:

How many weeks/months has it taken to get through the sequence? 

Also, will there be any extras floating around now the sequence is finished? or will the poor 'over worked and underpaid' signalman get a chance to enjoy a cuppa and read the news and views of the world?

According to my diary, it took nearly 6 months to get through the sequence, but I suspect that is because I failed to note one in between. It certainly didn't feel that long.

Bad news for the signalman, as the new sequence started only a couple of days later.

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

On 10/12/2021 at 09:28, great northern said:

Plenty still going on of course, the night sleepers, lots of coal and general goods, and a great deal of parcels traffic.

Night time is certainly a fascinating - and very different - aspect of railway operations, for exactly the reasons you mention. I would either add to or clarify your description of 'general goods' by stating that a lot of the time-sensitive goods traffic ran in the small hours as 'express goods', making best use of the paths freed up by the absence of those pesky passenger trains, thus serving the 'next day' delivery promise for a lot of that traffic.

I'm certainly planning to have a crack at night time running on my 'layout of a lifetime' for all these reasons. I'm possibly influenced by the way my Dad has alway run his layouts to a 24 hour timetable. His approach included installing working station and yard lamps - with a torch to hand 'just in case', we'd switch off the main lights and genuinely run in the dark. Very atmospheric ... until there was an occasional 'crunch' and we'd stick the lights back on to see what had gone wrong!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

I'm certainly planning to have a crack at night time running on my 'layout of a lifetime' for all these reasons. I'm possibly influenced by the way my Dad has alway run his layouts to a 24 hour timetable. His approach included installing working station and yard lamps - with a torch to hand 'just in case', we'd switch off the main lights and genuinely run in the dark. Very atmospheric ... until there was an occasional 'crunch' and we'd stick the lights back on to see what had gone wrong!

We used to do the same at a friend's railway with the 24 hour timetable we run. But after a number of operators complained about not being able to see well with the lights off (this also coincided with the eye sight of the more "experienced" operators failing) we stopped 'Night Time Running' and just run with the all the lights on.
It is definitely easier to see what's going on, but not so great when trying to figure out which part of the day the timetable is in...
This also saved the owner the time of maintaining the lighting on the platforms which could be a pain to fix.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Sharky said:

We used to do the same at a friend's railway with the 24 hour timetable we run. But after a number of operators complained about not being able to see well with the lights off (this also coincided with the eye sight of the more "experienced" operators failing) we stopped 'Night Time Running' and just run with the all the lights on.
It is definitely easier to see what's going on, but not so great when trying to figure out which part of the day the timetable is in...
This also saved the owner the time of maintaining the lighting on the platforms which could be a pain to fix.

I know which layout you're referring to, of course, although I never experienced the "night lights". My concern would have been seeing the disembodied teeth (dentures?) of the grinning operators glowing brightly under the UV tubes!

• Funny 8

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I know which layout you're referring to, of course, although I never experienced the "night lights". My concern would have been seeing the disembodied teeth (dentures?) of the grinning operators glowing brightly under the UV tubes!

Grinning or gnashing teeth? 

• Funny 6

21 hours ago, great northern said:

So here we are, two locals resting in Platforms 2 and six, the last of another day.

1228722812_5rearview.JPG.802b639af45e76778227d2bec0a29a82.JPG

This one, Terry?    One of the steel twins built 1935-6 (and more a little later) for GNML working.  They originally ran in sets, two of these and a compo between.   I think the sets were broken up during the War.   Southern Pride and RDEB do the two different diagrams.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1