Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Night time is certainly a fascinating - and very different - aspect of railway operations, for exactly the reasons you mention. I would either add to or clarify your description of 'general goods' by stating that a lot of the time-sensitive goods traffic ran in the small hours as 'express goods', making best use of the paths freed up by the absence of those pesky passenger trains, thus serving the 'next day' delivery promise for a lot of that traffic.

I'm certainly planning to have a crack at night time running on my 'layout of a lifetime' for all these reasons. I'm possibly influenced by the way my Dad has alway run his layouts to a 24 hour timetable. His approach included installing working station and yard lamps - with a torch to hand 'just in case', we'd switch off the main lights and genuinely run in the dark. Very atmospheric ... until there was an occasional 'crunch' and we'd stick the lights back on to see what had gone wrong!

Sounds interesting Graham, but given how I can mess things up in broad daylight, I shudder to think of the mayhem I could cause in the dark. I suppose the positive side though would be that no-one would be able to see the results. I would also need a lot more sleeping cars.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

This one, Terry?    One of the steel twins built 1935-6 (and more a little later) for GNML working.  They originally ran in sets, two of these and a compo between.   I think the sets were broken up during the War.   Southern Pride and RDEB do the two different diagrams.

Plenty of sets still intact in the late 50s Jonathan, in fact most of the KX-Peterborough slows had them as their core. Photographs show that there were still sets operating on the E. Lincs too. There were split twins in some of the other local formations too though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, jwealleans said:

This one, Terry?    One of the steel twins built 1935-6 (and more a little later) for GNML working.  They originally ran in sets, two of these and a compo between.   I think the sets were broken up during the War.   Southern Pride and RDEB do the two different diagrams.

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Plenty of sets still intact in the late 50s Jonathan, in fact most of the KX-Peterborough slows had them as their core. Photographs show that there were still sets operating on the E. Lincs too. There were split twins in some of the other local formations too though.

G'Day Folks

Yep, that's them,  quite a nice looking pair, and at least a pre war set. Thank you.

manna

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Might Tehran have needed a lamp?

Yes, of course it did. I just forget these things, I'm afraid. Senior moments abound. This morning I went to clean my teeth, and tried to think of two things at the same time. I found myself holding a tube of Ibuprofen gel, top off, and about to get put on the toothbrush. Fortunately, though the two tubes looked and felt similar, the contents did not.

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, great northern said:

Yes, of course it did. I just forget these things, I'm afraid. Senior moments abound. This morning I went to clean my teeth, and tried to think of two things at the same time. I found myself holding a tube of Ibuprofen gel, top off, and about to get put on the toothbrush. Fortunately, though the two tubes looked and felt similar, the contents did not.

Could've been worse.

There was a fellow who got his toothpaste and his haemorrhoid cream mixed up.

All his teeth fell out and he had a ring of confidence.

I thank you.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Could've been worse.

There was a fellow who got his toothpaste and his haemorrhoid cream mixed up.

All his teeth fell out and he had a ring of confidence.

I thank you.

I had to buy some toothpaste in a chemists in Germany once.  Not being used to the German words for such things I ended up with a tube of denture adhesive.  It didn't do my teeth much good!

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 13/12/2021 at 09:33, great northern said:

Several years ago, I had a strange dream. I was cleaning my teeth with a cut throat razor, when I realized that something was wrong - I had not used any toothpaste.

No wonder my students thought me totally mad.

Lloyd

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, FarrMan said:

Several years ago, I had a strange dream. I was cleaning my teeth with a cut throat razor, when I realized that something was wrong - I had not used any toothpaste.

No wonder my students thought me totally mad.

Lloyd

I bet you were spitting blood after that.

• Round of applause 5
  • Funny 2