Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, great northern said:

A panorama from beyond Crescent Bridge tonight.

185918718_11142far.JPG.5ade2533c9b39a343439ef7972a74f9b.JPG

Another of my personal favourites, actually.

Going back to favourites, photos that include the underside of Crescent Bridge (in either direction) are mine, I think.

All the best.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, great northern said:

Happy Christmas one and all. The 15 inches of snow promised by the Daily Express has failed to materialise......yet again, so it is far from white round here. Never mind, there is a keen and strong easterly wind to look forward to when I go out walking.

Oh yes, a picture. A4 Lord Faringdon bringing the Fair Maid round the rather exaggerated curve past the tranship shed.

1248060928_234.JPG.7111b1aaae254bd352d90e6f22e361b9.JPG

Even the white of the frost is away from here now. As in the past one of my responsibilities was road maintenance, including gritting and ploughing, the thought of snow no longer excites me. When you are trying to keep roads passable with 16 feet of snow, it loses some of it's novelty. That was in an area where it had been known to snow in August. Later I lived elsewhere, no longer responsible for such things thankfully, but where the main road in (the only road in at that time) was once blocked by snow in June. Both were in the UK.

Lloyd

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hope you had an enjoyable Christmas Gilbert, and glad to see that you have inspired another young modeller as well.  PN and your photos, timetabled workings, roster of engines and such beautiful coaching stock will continue to inspire me for years to come.

As for my favourite shot, it is a close run thing between one of those of the new V2 or the image of the J6 that started life out here running on your layout.

Look after yourself and looking forward to the Saturday runnings.

Cheers

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sharky said:

Pretty sure he's behind the signal post.
He's pretty skinny. 

I had a word with him later. What happened was that he suddenly got caught short. That's why he took the picture too quickly. Then he to had to take off at full speed in search of the Gents. Simples.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, great northern said:

One A4 is followed by another, but not passing so as to obscure each other. This is the 8.26 Nottingham, comprising a MK1 five set from there, and a three car Newark portion, which ran down from Grantham to pick up, and straight back to Grantham to be attached at the rear. Eight cars will mean a nice easy journey for Seagull.

52157714_633.JPG.88c865ba9ff69375b72005ef31714915.JPG

Hi Gilbert.Just curious about loco movements.  I wasn’t aware of any A4s being at Nottingham. Did go from Grantham to pick up the Nottingham portion, or did it do the Newark shuttle or did it come on at Grantham  with other locos doing the Newark and Grantham ? 

This is the sort of train movement I tend to associate with the Southern and GWR rather than the ECML so I am quite curious. It’s one of those things that goes beyond pure modelling which makes PN so interesting as far as I am concerned.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Hi Gilbert.Just curious about loco movements.  I wasn’t aware of any A4s being at Nottingham. Did go from Grantham to pick up the Nottingham portion, or did it do the Newark shuttle or did it come on at Grantham  with other locos doing the Newark and Grantham ? 

This is the sort of train movement I tend to associate with the Southern and GWR rather than the ECML so I am quite curious. It’s one of those things that goes beyond pure modelling which makes PN so interesting as far as I am concerned.

There were never any A4s at Colwick, although they did visit occasionally for repairs. The Nottingham portion would have been brought to Grantham by one of the usual locos that worked that stretch. The train was allowed 43 minutes for the 24 miles, with five stops, so anything from a B1 to a J6 could easily handle that. The Newark portion left Grantham at 6.55, arrived Newark 7.16, left there 7.41 and got back to Grantham at 8.02. The Nottingham portion arrived at 8.16. I assume the A4 would have worked one of the overnight sleepers to Grantham. It would come off shed, travel down to the spur next to the South box, and wait for the pilot to shunt the stock to the main Up platform before backing on. This service was unofficially known as the Mark Lane Flyer, as it was used by City businessmen. Not much flying involved though, as it didn't get to Kings Cross till 1050.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I have spent some enjoyable hours today turning back the tide, which one does not get to do very often, or successfully.  Perusing the 1960 goings on at Grantham, I came across some intruders. D240 D241 D245 D248 D249 D284. With a stroke of the pen, they were removed, they were no more. None of those to be seen in 1958. Great pleasure was had in replacing them with Pacifics and V2s. OK, a couple of the Finsbury Park 5, but they can be tolerated.

What's more, they were all on Gateshead duties, and most of them seemed to be running through without changes from or to Newcastle. That's far less likely to have happened in 58, so I put in more engine changes, and got even more Pacifics and V2s. I also got to have my cake and eat it, as I was prepared to accept that one or two through workings would have occurred, so we will have more Tyneside egines than usual too. Most enjoyable. Anyway, a good A4 could make mincemeat of those whistling things. Which has reminded me that I have some mince pies, so i shall go in search of one, perhaps even two.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, great northern said:

Anyway, a good A4 could make mincemeat of those whistling things. 

Most 8Ps around in the BR steam era could have made mincemeat of those whistling things. Overweight, under-powered lumps of future razor blades ...

The latest timetable machinations sound interesting!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Most 8Ps 5MTs around in the BR steam era could have made mincemeat of those whistling things. Overweight, under-powered lumps of future razor blades ...

The latest timetable machinations sound interesting!

Corrected.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, great northern said:

Seagull at the South end, waiting for the off. By no means my best effort, but as there hasn't been enough light for any photography for over a fortnight, I'm getting short of supplies.

150972096_7332.JPG.5d00ebeb7ff98160c193a351116b00a7.JPG

Hi Gilbert, this reminds me of a pre Christmas time with many parcels awaiting loading, another scene we do not see today. Thanks, and a Happy New Year to you.

Bazza 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, great northern said:

Seagull at the South end, waiting for the off. By no means my best effort, but as there hasn't been enough light for any photography for over a fortnight, I'm getting short of supplies.

150972096_7332.JPG.5d00ebeb7ff98160c193a351116b00a7.JPG

Thank you for all the information and entertainment on this thread. I'm not competent or informed enough to comment on your scheduling and locomotive allocation and diagramming, but please can I ask about the position of the nearest luggage trolley?

Should it not be 'parked' parallel to the track, as with the ones behind?

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 2