Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

Merry Christmas and a Happy 2022 to you.

just a thought you have a wide variety of fabulous locomotives on Peterborough North but I cannot remember seeing a Britannia Class running on your layout.

Or have I just missed the times a photo was posted?

Regards

David

There was one, David, some years back. I couldn't resist the excellent Hornby model, and so i employed one on the E.Lincs expresses. In reality though, they didn't start to be used on those trains until 1961, and eventually I realised that I wasn't using it because it was outside my time frame, so I sold it.

I could have one, as Railway Observer records three working on the ECML through Peterborough in August 1958, but they were rare occurrences at that time, so I have resisted.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you....

Many thanks Kevin, and the same to you and yours. Many thanks too for the daily updates on the delightful Little Muddle, which I visit every day. I marvel at the scenes you conjure up in such a small space.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Well folks, we approach Christmas again, and it is time for Season's Greetings. In these troubled and uncertain times, I'm sure all will try to be merry, but I think in the circumstances my wish for you all will be that you are able to spend time with family and loved ones over the next few days, and to enjoy something as near to normality as we can safely manage.

From me, thanks for all the support you continue to give me, which encourages me to keep going, and to try to find new things to occupy myself, and to entertain you.

Now to Geoff West's post, last evening. When I looked at that picture of the B17 at the excursion platform, I thought to myself "that it is my favourite view of all the ones I have taken on the layout". That in turn made me think that as a little Christmas fun thing I might ask you all to tell me what your favourite is. So, over to you.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

One more post, which I feel deserves a separate mention. You may recall the ten year old lad who visited a few weeks back, and who so impressed me with his knowledge and enthusiasm. Well, there was a knock on my door about an hour ago, and there was his Grandad, who passed to me a Christmas present that young Owen has given me. Now, isn't that really something? It has certainly made my day. I shan't open it till Christmas day, of course!

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for your wishes, Gilbert.

My favourite views are always those which have a lot of infrastructure clutter in them, not necessarily with a loco in them (despite being a locoholic).  Second choice, down under the canopy with the train at the other end.

Have a happy 'Non-denominational Holiday Period'!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert, thanks for keeping going with your daily news of movements through Peterborough North via your time machine. Thanks too for the little asides of weather, duvet wrestling days etc. I very much hope that you have a great time this Christmas and a very happy and healthy  2022. Stay safe and well, and keep those coal trains rolling towards London! Bazza 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Gilbert

Have a great Christmas and thank you for continuing to post every day. I don't think I have a particular favourite, I simply enjoy them all.

It was also good to see the layout on video.  I have watched it a few times and have it saved in my YouTube playlist. 

Martyn 

4 hours ago, great northern said:

There was one, David, some years back. I couldn't resist the excellent Hornby model, and so i employed one on the E.Lincs expresses. In reality though, they didn't start to be used on those trains until 1961, and eventually I realised that I wasn't using it because it was outside my time frame, so I sold it.

I could have one, as Railway Observer records three working on the ECML through Peterborough in August 1958, but they were rare occurrences at that time, so I have resisted.

Hi Gilbert

My mistake, I completely forgot you are modelling 1958.

I saw a photo of 70037 at Doncaster on its way to Kings Cross Station in 1961 and that’s what made me think about your Layout and no Britannias.

I remember seeing than at the Cross in 1962/3 I think on either Cleethorpes or Grimsby trains.

Regards

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, mullie said:

Gilbert

Have a great Christmas and thank you for continuing to post every day. I don't think I have a particular favourite, I simply enjoy them all.

It was also good to see the layout on video.  I have watched it a few times and have it saved in my YouTube playlist. 

Martyn 

The ones with GE engines surely Martyn? If I include B17s, they are right up the top of the list for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, great northern said:

The ones with GE engines surely Martyn? If I include B17s, they are right up the top of the list for 

I do enjoy it all, ok maybe a soft spot for a Claud, J15, B17 and 4mt etc. 

Martyn

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I most enjoy the snaking passenger stock in the overhead views, but must also say the under-the-roof shots, which I know are hard work to get 'right', are simply splendid, and not seen on many other layouts. That alone gives PN a USP (Unique Selling Point).

Merry Christmas and HNY to Gilbert, PN - and all others who sail in her hereabouts!

• Like 3

I find all the views good and nostalgia inducing, but as I spent more time on the down side of Spittal Bridge than anywhere else, that has to be my favourite, but I understand your reluctance to perform the necessary contortions. The thought of the effort that you have made to get them increases the gratefulness at the result. As has been said by others, many thanks for the regular fix for our addiction to PN, and best wishes for the new year (we do not keep christmas ourselves).

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

I find all the views good and nostalgia inducing, but as I spent more time on the down side of Spittal Bridge than anywhere else, that has to be my favourite, but I understand your reluctance to perform the necessary contortions. The thought of the effort that you have made to get them increases the gratefulness at the result. As has been said by others, many thanks for the regular fix for our addiction to PN, and best wishes for the new year (we do not keep christmas ourselves).

It isn't as contortion inducing as it used to be, but the photoshopping can be a very long job, and the depth of focus is sometimes a problem. I'm also always frustrated by the fact that the outside wall is in the way when I want to get just a bit further West, which would allow me to recreate a lot more prototype images.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, phil.c said:

"The depth of focus is sometimes a problem"

Focus stacking is the answer to all your problems ;)

But understanding photo stacking is itself a big problem, unfortunately. Andy Y tried to explain it to me, but my brain melted.

• Friendly/supportive 4

17 hours ago, great northern said:

It isn't as contortion inducing as it used to be, but the photoshopping can be a very long job, and the depth of focus is sometimes a problem. I'm also always frustrated by the fact that the outside wall is in the way when I want to get just a bit further West, which would allow me to recreate a lot more prototype images.

The effort to get them, which increases my gratefulness includes, or better is  increased by, the photoshopping and focus problems.

Lloyd