Peterborough North

great northern

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Another A3, with an easy job this time, the 5.50 KX-Grantham stopper.

1026995432_264.JPG.1f966c817a42cab5ed091fec88db0813.JPG

For some reason, this job was diagrammed for a Doncaster engine.

It is a most unusual shot for me to put on here, as it was taken under artificial light. I usually hate what the camera's white fluorescent setting gives me, but for some reason this one looks quite presentable. I've no idea why.

We shall also look at what is behind the tender, which won't take long.

1789205456_3rake1.JPG.aed414892b89c7dee28f6831052ced5f.JPG

1185264886_4rake2.JPG.29a10d3334b0ca36de24c0afca632137.JPG

1673269986_5rake3.JPG.aa6a48f2bd2761caaf1b6a6237d2e8aa.JPG

Any excuse for showing these lovely Gresley coaches. Behind them, something more prosaic.

117005877_6rake4.JPG.a2c9d50b12ed547047830361cd6957fb.JPG

497248240_7rake5.JPG.d41031d1bdb990a963b9b44399c0e335.JPG

And a horsebox, we don't get many of those.

Please may I ask about the rules for horseboxes?

I seem to remember that (pre 1948) loaded livestock vehicles were supposed to be at the front of a train.

But perhaps I am getting confused about fitted/non-fitted vehicles and trains.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drmditch said:

I seem to remember that (pre 1948) loaded livestock vehicles were supposed to be at the front of a train.

Hi 

I think you are correct, Any vehicles carrying livestock were usually positioned directly behind the locomotive if possible.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, drmditch said:

Did that apply to empty horse boxes as well, or just loaded ones?

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

It is quite hard in 2021 to imagine a train sitting at KX with a horsebox on the stops. As it's a stopper, perhaps it was attached en route?

One of the stations on the Hertford Loop was a regular destination for horse boxes, I think off the top of my head it might have been Cuffley.

Some interesting stuff about horse boxes on here, including several pictures of trains to / from King's Cross which included them (although not in Gilbert's period):

https://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/129-horse-race-traffic

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, drmditch said:

I'm following the formations shown in the HMRS survey of July 58, which shows that on two occasions during that week horseboxes were attached to this train, both at the rear. Both were detached here,as will be seen shortly, so that might be the reason? Operationally easier, I would think.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

It is quite hard in 2021 to imagine a train sitting at KX with a horsebox on the stops. As it's a stopper, perhaps it was attached en route?

I haven't got the book in front of me, but I'm sure they were attached en route, at Sandy if my memory is correct. I'll check shortly. I got up late, so I haven't finished breakfast yet.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, checked the book, and for once my memory was accurate, HBs were added to the train at Sandy, and detached at Peterborough. No passing loops at Sandy, so blockage of the main would have had to be kept to the minimum.  The HB came from Oxford via the Cambridge route. Then it would be shunted across to the GN, tucked into a siding, and added when the 5.50 arrived. Interesting though, as I don't think there was a standing pilot at Sandy, so what loco did the job?

Now I've read the small print at the bottom, so I can tell you on one day the HB was from Oxford to Peterborough, and two days later it ran from KX to Navenby, when it would have been detached at Grantham. Still shown as being at the rear of the formation though. This train was clearly used to get ECS around too. The core was four cars, but on successive days it loaded to 5,6,4 and 11. Tuesday had a sleeper first detached at Peterborough, though I can't think why that would have happened. On the Thursday, there were two of the RBs converted from GN thirds, destined for Cleethorpes. Were they for Cleethorpes-Manchester trains, I wonder? Two HBs and two vans in the formation that day too. And finally, I have just noticed that on the Tuesday another HB was on the train as far as Sandy. That one was destined for Holyhead! Fascinating.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, great northern said:

OK, checked the book, and for once my memory was accurate, HBs were added to the train at Sandy, and detached at Peterborough. No passing loops at Sandy, so blockage of the main would have had to be kept to the minimum.  The HB came from Oxford via the Cambridge route. Then it would be shunted across to the GN, tucked into a siding, and added when the 5.50 arrived. Interesting though, as I don't think there was a standing pilot at Sandy, so what loco did the job?

Now I've read the small print at the bottom, so I can tell you on one day the HB was from Oxford to Peterborough, and two days later it ran from KX to Navenby, when it would have been detached at Grantham. Still shown as being at the rear of the formation though. This train was clearly used to get ECS around too. The core was four cars, but on successive days it loaded to 5,6,4 and 11. Tuesday had a sleeper first detached at Peterborough, though I can't think why that would have happened. On the Thursday, there were two of the RBs converted from GN thirds, destined for Cleethorpes. Were they for Cleethorpes-Manchester trains, I wonder? Two HBs and two vans in the formation that day too. And finally, I have just noticed that on the Tuesday another HB was on the train as far as Sandy. That one was destined for Holyhead! Fascinating.

Speculate that the HB loco from Oxford way did the shunting. Timed to arrive so it didn't have to wait hours?

P

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Speculate that the HB loco from Oxford way did the shunting. Timed to arrive so it didn't have to wait hours?

P

Probably so Phil. All taking place about 7.00am, so not that busy, perhaps. Unless all the Up sleeping car trains were running very late, as apparently often happened.

• RMweb Gold
On 17/12/2021 at 19:40, great northern said:

The 02 has also cleared section now, so the signalman can allow a tender first J6 to come off the engine road, and run down to south yard for a shunting shift.

2060610898_1J6.JPG.81dc71444a06cb60db8daf6455c512a0.JPG

This thread contains many exceptional photos but for me this the most evocative..........I could almost be standing on that platform...........brilliant.

Mike

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, great northern said:

The 9F has the road, and can now block both Down and Up main lines again in order to get to the Up goods.

350487716_720342.JPG.dd7e70f78f594f82400695fa67f961bf.JPG

Hi Gilbert

Merry Christmas and a Happy 2022 to you.

just a thought you have a wide variety of fabulous locomotives on Peterborough North but I cannot remember seeing a Britannia Class running on your layout.

Or have I just missed the times a photo was posted?

Regards

David

• Like 1