Peterborough North

great northern

21 hours ago, great northern said:

Right, I have kept the best for last. Yet another V2, but I really do need a lot of these, especially when it comes to the Saturday timetable. I also have to remember that I still have two original split chassis locos which probably don't have much longer to live, and that one V2 has to spend its time standing doing nothing as main line pilot. Thus, this one will not be the last.

I decided that a York engine would be appropriate, there being two KX-Dringhouses Class Cs in the WTT, one of which they would have worked. York's reputation for loco cleanliness was no better than New England's, though whether that was caused by lack of staff as at 34E I don't know. it seems a shame, as Tim pointed out, to cover up this lovely rich green, but the sad truth is that there were far more dirty V2s than clean one like those which you have seen this last couple of days.

60961 was the loco I chose, but the only colour photos I could find in my period were posed shots out side Darlington paint shop, and it wouldn't have stayed like that for long. I try to keep pushing Tim a little further with each commission I give him, so I looked for a good photo of an engine in poor external condition as a challenge. I have recently acquired the Great Northern Books publication Gresleys V2s by Peter Tuffrey, and therein I found a very good image of 60889, which I felt would give Tim something to push his talents still further, so I sent that image to him and said "do it like that, please". I've noticed that a number of Doncaster engines had marks that look as though they were caused by priming all along the boiler, presumably caused by the water available there. It is subtle, but noticeable. So, a dirty engine it was to be, and Tim was not to be beaten by the challenge. These photos were taken in poor light conditions, and they don't do Tim's work full justice, but they are enough to show the quality of what he came up with.

388269841_69611.JPG.df3daef0f13e653d4c7f6e2e0cd558b5.JPG

282208485_79612.JPG.523386b899a1d1813a05c264d8d5c0fe.JPG

Tim has his own shots taken in full sunlight, and when he posts those you will be able to fully see what he has achieved.

Good morning Gilbert,

'These photos were taken in poor light conditions, and they don't do Tim's work full justice, but they are enough to show the quality of what he came up with.'

May I beg to differ, please?

I think your pictures show up the very high standard of weathering far better than in those taken in full sunlight. The subtle differences, in my view, are far better described. 

I've found this myself when taking pictures of smaller-scale models in full sunlight. Though, one would think that 'real' light is best for photographing anything, direct sunlight is too intense in my opinion. Fine for the 'real thing', but on something much, much smaller all those subtleties are obliterated (though it does illustrate the tender's disc wheels very well!). 

Either way, it's splendid work on Tim's part.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, great northern said:

Not much going on at the moment, just another trip working clanking along the Down slow.

1999370080_5J6.JPG.f223b98f444adf03e036fa38acd4cf61.JPG

The very 'hum-drum' ness of movements like this are what makes a railway to me - the background infrastructure and the usualness of railway life carrying on as it did for so many years, and is so sadly missed in todays scene.

• Like 5
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert, great news about your wound healing well. Just 2 more weeks of dressings will soon pass.

Thanks again for the pictures of the Peterborough daily parade of trains. A few days ago the W1 was right on time as you forecast. I'm sure Tony will be happy to firmly fix the steps on your Ivatt 4s, so do let him.

Bazza

• Agree 1