Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

But it obscures the view of "North Box"!

Regards

Chris H

P.S - From this angle, I'm still expecting to see the upper parts of Peterborough Cathedral in shot - Grandad used to park just inside the Bishop's Palace garden gate when he went to the football. he also used to be a Signalman at North Box till he got promotion to Crescent circa mid/late 1930s.

CH

• Like 1

On 26/01/2022 at 09:53, Clive Mortimore said:

Something burbling from Louth?

Not sure anything in Louth could burble.

Remember this is 1958 before the “ Game Keepers Arms “ was turned in a Chinese Takeaway.  No doubt  Farmer Greenacre , Tom Muck-Spreader, and a few others would be burbling their own unique version of the “Lincolnshire Poacher” as the staggered contently home after 8 pints on a Saturday evening, as was the won’t of country folk in the days of yore.:huh:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Remember this is 1958 before the “ Game Keepers Arms “ was turned in a Chinese Takeaway.  No doubt  Farmer Greenacre , Tom Muck-Spreader, and a few others would be burbling their own unique version of the “Lincolnshire Poacher” as the staggered contently home after 8 pints on a Saturday evening, as was the won’t of country folk in the days of yore.:huh:

Hi Jazzer

Living just outside of Louth there is no need to be rude about the accent the locals have. In any case most would have ended up in a dyke and not made it home. :read:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Having parked on Midland Road, our man has lugged a stepladder along Spital Bridge, so as to be able to see over the higher part of the parapet, and get us this view,

1525741713_7fromabove4.JPG.95fe38f7c0c5733dddf33dab8ae0bc37.JPG

I think he would have needed his stepladder for the previous views as well, unless he is VERY tall.I could only see from the West end of the parapet, just West of the Midland lines, but then I am altitudinally challenged.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, FarrMan said:

I think he would have needed his stepladder for the previous views as well, unless he is VERY tall.I could only see from the West end of the parapet, just West of the Midland lines, but then I am altitudinally challenged.

Lloyd

Can you say where the photographer would have been to get the shot below please Lloyd?

1646664491_fromspitalbridge.jpg.3ef7e8cd42532973bd3e10704de91158.jpg

Photo copyright of AC Ingram, and published here for research purposes.

This is what I'm trying to reproduce, sadly without the Midland running lines.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Can you say where the photographer would have been to get the shot below please Lloyd?

1646664491_fromspitalbridge.jpg.3ef7e8cd42532973bd3e10704de91158.jpg

Photo copyright of AC Ingram, and published here for research purposes.

This is what I'm trying to reproduce, sadly without the Midland running lines.

Gilbert

I would guess on a stepladder, a little to the East of the West end of the parapet. From memory, the parapet stopped just West of the West abutment. Looking down at the Westernmost midland line was not far off vertical. Of course, what one remembers as a child/youth, may be quite different to what one would see as an adult. One's view is related to one's size. Things appear bigger to shorter (or altitudinaly challenged) people. I remember thinking as a child that the beach at Barry Island was huge. When I went there 5 years ago, it looked quite small - not at all how I had remember it.

Regarding the AC Ingram photo, I cannot recall seeing any other photos taken that far along the parapet, but that is not saying very much.

Lloyd

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, great northern said:

A close up of something utilitarian, which will soon be on its way to South Lynn.

646392277_93108.JPG.34a7edd99c1cfa510b86de22ac97d4dd.JPG

That's beautifully weathered.

I know they performed well on the M&GN but I still think it's an ugly beast!  It would look so much better with a lower running plate and extended cab side sheets.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

That's beautifully weathered.

I know they performed well on the M&GN but I still think it's an ugly beast!  It would look so much better with a lower running plate and extended cab side sheets.

And (tongue in cheek), the front steps. 

The weathering (Tim Easter?) is beautifully-done (as always), but the omission of those distinctive 'open' front steps does detract from the model in my view. 

The following is for Gilbert.

Gilbert, have the steps just got lost or do they foul the pony wheels on tighter radii?

The M&GNR bit of Little Bytham has fiddle yard radii of 24", yet the Ivatt 4MT Moguls running on it have their front steps and they don't foul.

43106.jpg.991ed583436968502271e6ca66939b57.jpg

A detailed/weathered Bachmann example (which, I assume, yours is).

43107.jpg.405bc4e4b267a8611346a35bbd6cdf1a.jpg

Do you remember this one? A treasured possession from our late friend, Dave Shakespeare. Another Bachmann one he altered. 

I can't recall if Bachmann supplied the steps with their 'Flying Pig' models. If not, I've fitted Comet ones. 

902718391_MillholmeIvatt4MT43085.jpg.d975c2ff2b2f93ee85928e7da47aceec.jpg

As I did with this Millholme example.

1356639806_Scratch-builtFlyingPig43127.jpg.741478581efb6995b27bcd1c2b5519ed.jpg

And on a scratch-built one. 

The point is, with a bit of tweaking, these Ivatt 4MT models will go around 2' radius curves.

When I next pop over I'll see about fitting steps on your models and test them. It'll be worth it, because they're rather distinctive.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

And (tongue in cheek), the front steps. 

The weathering (Tim Easter?) is beautifully-done (as always), but the omission of those distinctive 'open' front steps does detract from the model in my view. 

The following is for Gilbert.

Gilbert, have the steps just got lost or do they foul the pony wheels on tighter radii?

The M&GNR bit of Little Bytham has fiddle yard radii of 24", yet the Ivatt 4MT Moguls running on it have their front steps and they don't foul.

43106.jpg.991ed583436968502271e6ca66939b57.jpg

A detailed/weathered Bachmann example (which, I assume, yours is).

43107.jpg.405bc4e4b267a8611346a35bbd6cdf1a.jpg

Do you remember this one? A treasured possession from our late friend, Dave Shakespeare. Another Bachmann one he altered. 

I can't recall if Bachmann supplied the steps with their 'Flying Pig' models. If not, I've fitted Comet ones. 

902718391_MillholmeIvatt4MT43085.jpg.d975c2ff2b2f93ee85928e7da47aceec.jpg

As I did with this Millholme example.

1356639806_Scratch-builtFlyingPig43127.jpg.741478581efb6995b27bcd1c2b5519ed.jpg

And on a scratch-built one. 

The point is, with a bit of tweaking, these Ivatt 4MT models will go around 2' radius curves.

When I next pop over I'll see about fitting steps on your models and test them. It'll be worth it, because they're rather distinctive.

Regards,

Tony. 

Mine is quite old, and dates back to the loft layout. Like yours, it was weathered by our dear and greatly missed mate Dave. I can't remember if it ever had steps. if it did, they have probably gone to that myserious place in the sky, as I never see most things that fall off again. I have a box containing quite a few, but I'm sure nowhere near as many as are missing.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

On 30/01/2022 at 21:58, great northern said:

658483241_12above3.JPG.e8d873126db5f833ad967ff2792fd321.JPG

From an upstairs window in one of the District Engineer's buildings, with a bit of zoom.

Every now and again you come across a photograph which absolutely captures something you particularly love about railways and modelling. For me, this is one of them.

It's something that's also been discussed re. Little Bytham and Grantham, and it's the juxtaposition of the glamour, power and 'long-distanceness' of the A3-hauled express against the stillness of the yard to the left as we look at it, with the humble, elderly C12 patiently awaiting someone to come along and give it a job to busy itself with.

Even though this is a still photo, and trains don't pass through Peterborough at speed like they do on said layouts 'further north' on the ECML, there's a fabulous sense of the working railway's contrasts in atmosphere here, IMHO. Thanks. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1