Peterborough North

great northern

4 minutes ago, great northern said:

Thank you Lloyd. I do try to get angles which would have been possible on the real thing, though it often isn't easy. I suppose that isn't surprising, considering the size that both myself and the camera would be if reduced to scale. If I was 23mm tall it would be much easier to stand where poles and oher such things weren't in the way, and handle a tiny camera, of course.

You succeed.

If you were 23mm tall, you would find difficulty getting clothes - and you would be buried by the snow here!

Lloyd

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

You succeed.

If you were 23mm tall, you would find difficulty getting clothes - and you would be buried by the snow here!

Lloyd

Ah, but there would be shops selling clothes for me in the City Centre, wouldn't there? Snow wouldn't be so deep either, though that is relative, of course.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2022 at 10:48, great northern said:

Ah, but there would be shops selling clothes for me in the City Centre, wouldn't there? Snow wouldn't be so deep either, though that is relative, of course.

You are all, you know, quite wonderfully mad!

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Another horrid wet and windy day here, and it seems to be the same just about everywhere, though maybe not for our upside down friends. I put the waterproofs on and went for a three mile walk earlier, but I won't be going out again. So, some more pictures, hopefully to brighten a dismal day.

In addition to the lovely V2s Tim brought three weeks ago, there were other goodies, but no opportunity really to feature them yet. My Queen of Scots rake has only ever had eight cars, but it should have ten. The eight were built for me by dear Mike Radford some twenty five years ago, and are very nice too, but they are fitted with kadees, which frankly are beginning to become a bit of a nuisance. Tim has been suggesting to me for some time that he'd like to have a really good go at getting a fully matching and weathered set of cars for the train, and in the end I succumbed, so he spent December sourcing 1928 all steel cars on E Bay. They can go for silly money, but we did quite well in the end. I decided on a split of eight 1928 cars to two 1925, and between us we did a lot of research. Tim brought seven with him last time, and took away the other three, which had come here, as part of a Hornby limited edition pre war QOS set. They should be back soon, and I shall have the full rake at last.

The Down train came up on the sequence a few days ago, and I ran and photographed it with the seven cars. No doubt it will be about three weeks before they come to the top of the pile, so I've decided to show them now. The rake is of course not complete, and not quite in the right order, but that will soon be corrected.

1007055092_7car1.JPG.094724ae5a47b92c04d4ea16c2eb1779.JPG

821848691_8car2.JPG.35dce70d1e60dac1ad4764a8ac084dee.JPG

1893049515_9car3.JPG.44833ea0b8ab90dd7aec3961559599d2.JPG

635762970_10car4.JPG.7ad67ee2cf5613c25ea6d387a53d94a8.JPG

578596271_11car5.JPG.220c2149f9d41a7c73859b0287aec01f.JPG

1401203124_12car6.JPG.cfbc5300f5e41d52d6dfcd8769873248.JPG

1669618095_12acar7.JPG.4f2f9ce76ff10b34f250c9a230e7a2cc.JPG

Car 58 was still matchboard finished in 1958, and is a cut and shut job. I will leave Tim to describe, if he so wishes, how he did that, and indeed the other cars in this lovely matching set.

Looking forward to seeing them G.

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Lots of named expresses to be seen at the moment, and A4s in charge of every one.

I am sure that many have said the same. This thread is simply a delight and, despite the rather unpleasant weather (also seemingly affecting the T-T Pullman), brightens up every day. Thanks very much.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

9 minutes ago, great northern said:

All that have so far returned from being Timmed, David. There may, or may not, be more.

I  thought I'd be resorting to 3d print bodies  and comet chassis until I saw what he did with them.:D

Edited by davidw
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, great northern said:

It does seem increasingly though that the criteria for inclusion have changed somewhat, and that anything which was around during the summer of 58 timetable period is permissible. Plus of course anything else which I can't resist.

That's an entirely sensible and pragmatic approach, Gilbert. However you really should grit your teeth and bite the bullet when it comes to 113.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, rowanj said:

That's an entirely sensible and pragmatic approach, Gilbert. However you really should grit your teeth and bite the bullet when it comes to 113.

There may, or may not, be a list somewhere, but I cannot divulge any information which might be on it, or not, should that be the case. Without Prejudice.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, great northern said:

It does seem increasingly though that the criteria for inclusion have changed somewhat, and that anything which was around during the summer of 58 timetable period is permissible. Plus of course anything else which I can't resist.

404034758_716432alt.JPG.f83c21bbf027434afd9dcbfeef1b32ab.JPG

A matter of time perhaps then, before we see a 9F pressed into passenger service on a summer Saturday , or a Britannia being secretly tested on a KX- Cleethorpes before they became regular ? Not that I would ever wish to see the end if the B1’s of course !

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, jazzer said:

A matter of time perhaps then, before we see a 9F pressed into passenger service on a summer Saturday , or a Britannia being secretly tested on a KX- Cleethorpes before they became regular ? Not that I would ever wish to see the end if the B1’s of course !

Well yes, as to the 9F that is perfectly permissible, and arguably essential, once I start the Saturday sequence. There is even the information to tell me which locos were involved. The Britannia is a different matter though. I did have one, and used it on the Cleethorpes trains, but I sold it as I knew it was an anomaly, and one which irritated me.

This could all be said to be a bit silly, because just as I have evidence about the 9Fs, so too do I have evidence of Brits working on the ECML in August 58. However, these were rarities at that time, and I just feel that if I indulge myself with too many rarities, even though I can prove they did happen, I risk losing what I try to show, which is the normal traffic to be seen at the time on a given day.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

However, these were rarities at that time, and I just feel that if I indulge myself with too many rarities, even though I can prove they did happen, I risk losing what I try to show, which is the normal traffic to be seen at the time on a given day.

And that is a fine principle. Far too many layouts have a loco roster based upon the 'Half Noah' principle, with one of everything and  few oddities thrown in. You clearly have a more realistic approach, with the everyday mundane on all sides. That was and is the real railway, the real world. 

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi Gilbert, Your comment on Britannia's intrigued me. I've a pair 70008 and 70041. Were they in service  on the services you describe by 1960? I thought they were. If not they'll be ebayed to make room for V2s