Peterborough North

great northern

20 minutes ago, great northern said:

I shall not be doing a full rake set of images for more than a few of these trains, but I decided the 8.00 Leeds should be one of them, so here it is.

1474868396_3rake1.JPG.bfe26d2fb84b0c0617635dc7f04106ba.JPG791941828_4rake2.JPG.0eda422840cdae61772fd686b898cba8.JPG573212692_5rake3.JPG.451a84c9ec91387c0c02353aac432456.JPG384379869_6rake4.JPG.429551168febdd0d9928c9c0549bf8da.JPG64628112_7rake5.JPG.7a99422acbb1a2b4f7034ab9d4281805.JPG322330085_8rakelast.JPG.83406819983b11e4f7eeb87c60a47e9b.JPG

Quite a mixture really. Returning to the front of the train, we get another look at Aboyeur.

1196504450_91483.JPG.6cc5b9ddeec26868af9a5bbfa26c2010.JPG

This really does show how much improvement I'm getting from the new lighting. Nice to see everyone facing the camera to have their photy took too. Nearly everyone, anyway.

A strengthener after the BG. That must be unusual?

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, davidw said:

No, it is as per CWN. Part of the Bradford portion, and I do seem to remember reading somewhere that this did happen, and that there was a reason for the BG needing to be in the middle. Unfortunately I can now neither remember where I read it, or what the reason was. It may come back to me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, great northern said:

No, it is as per CWN. Part of the Bradford portion, and I do seem to remember reading somewhere that this did happen, and that there was a reason for the BG needing to be in the middle. Unfortunately I can now neither remember where I read it, or what the reason was. It may come back to me.

Fascinating... Thanks. Accurate train formations bring models to life.  I was just looking at Profiles of the A4s. If captions are correct, then there was much divergence in the cartridge workings to reality. 

The Hunt couplings look good. Have you got them to work on Hornby mk1s? Thanks

With the recent focus on your new V2s Gilbert, I hope you don't mind if I post images of the three I recently modelled, again based on the Rails of Sheffield BR green variant, to give the correct front end arrangement.

First, 60964 as Rails intended..

662061920_DSCN0394(2).JPG.05b994ea651a97b5d93819a97505d5a6.JPG

Then modified to represent 60835...

1233410374_DSCN0350(2).JPG.97f03fa8898654e2681e7b38386fb9fc.JPG

Finally completed today, 60809...

1667223283_DSCN0445(2).JPG.8d67e3b92ee4e49c25c91a3aa24566a2.JPG

I am aware of the small faults described, but other than replacing the trailing wheel with a flanged example, and using a little trick described in the V2 thread to prevent tender crabbing, they are standard, and a very high standard that is! The livery application is superb, if only the Hornby A2/3 had been finished to this level. The beautiful plates for '09 and '35 are from Fox, as is are the numbers.

Very indulgent, but the performance and looks make it worthwhile.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, davidw said:

What is more unusual is a Fk and a CK either side of a kitchen car. Are the passengers supposed  to eat their nosh off their laps?

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, davidw said:

Unusual but not unheard of as Gilbert has commented.   The Leeds train we run on Grantham has the same feature, which we represent.   That BG also goes to Bradford.   Did Bradfordians not travel light or was there a lot of PLA or sundries traffic through there?

Edited by jwealleans

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

What is more unusual is a Fk and a CK either side of a kitchen car. Are the passengers supposed  to eat their nosh off their laps?

No, they are supposed to be sitting in an FO, but someone picked up an FK by mistake. It would be that train which I then decided to feature, wouldn't it?

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, davidw said:

Fascinating... Thanks. Accurate train formations bring models to life.  I was just looking at Profiles of the A4s. If captions are correct, then there was much divergence in the cartridge workings to reality. 

The Hunt couplings look good. Have you got them to work on Hornby mk1s? Thanks

I have to say I'm always wary about captions, as I find a lot of them are far from accurate. No doubt there were changes to the booked formation, but , particularly with trains which allowed seat reservations, every effort must surely have been made to at the very least find a like for like replacement. One can always find the unusual, and I suspect that sometimes was what caught the photographer's attention, and that the everyday was ignored.

No problems with Hunt couplings on Hornby MK1s.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Unusual but not unheard of as Gilbert has commented.   The Leeds train we run on Grantham has the same feature, which we represent.   That BG also goes to Bradford.   Did Bradfordians not travel light or was there a lot of PLA or sundries traffic through there?

I've now looked at the notes to the CWN, which of course I could have done earlier. They state that " CK and BG to be worked empty from Bradford to Leeds for 5.35pm Leeds-KX same day". The TSO would have been at the front on arrival at Bradford after reversal at Leeds, so perhaps this was just a way to avoid some shunting?

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Well, I could tell you the story of the (up) Flying Scotsman and the soup..... But I'm sure I have already done so - a long way up-thread!

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, great northern said:

Still the Sandwich and Osprey show this morning.First a similar effort to the one I showed last night, but wider angle and closer up.

Are you allowed to eat osprey sandwiches?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

OK, so this bl**dy thing has a mind of its own, and decided to load the other images, even though I did't tell it to do so, which means I had better carry on. The next image is looking down Cowgate, to what by 1958 was a dead end with the ECML immediately beyond the fence. When the line first opened, there were level crossings over both the main line and the Midland, dangerous enough in 1850, but increasingly so as time went by. As usual, it took a fatality before anything got done, a poor lady being run down and killed  during a shunting manouevre. She had become locked on the wrong side of a crossing gate.

That resulted in the building of a subway, which lasted till Crescent Bridge opened in 1913, when Cowgate became a dead end. I'm pretty sure it was Cowgate all the way down, but I'm sure Lloyd will tell me if I'm wrong.

The next one is of the loading dock, which Peter had about half surfaced when Covid intervened. I tried to finish it off, but wasn't happy with what I did, so Peter has now done the job properly.

Then something has decided to post one of the images again. Now I do need a rest, so more later.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

No-one has spotted what's new at the north end then? Shan't tell you yet.

Has the bridge gone further west?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 31A said:

Yes, the bridge definitely looks longer from my recollection.  Time for a silhouette backdrop then?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 31A said:

A gold star for that man. First to notice it, despite the fact that he must be suffering from the brain fog caused by undertaking the task of doing four conversions of Hornby all door seconds, all in one go.

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, trw1089 said:

Yes, the bridge definitely looks longer from my recollection.  Time for a silhouette backdrop then?

I'd forgotten all about that Tony. Yes, perhaps time to revisit that idea. I'm thinking of some strip LEDs along that back wall to give me even more light there, so I'll widen my investigations.

• Informative/Useful 1