Peterborough North

great northern

1 minute ago, 60027Merlin said:

David,

Just for your info with the exception of the Non-Stop, no Haymarket A4s or their other pacifics appeared on workings south of Newcastle apart from visits to Doncaster Works.

Gateshead and Heaton along with Carlisle Canal, Glasgow Eastfield, Dundee Tay Bridge and Aberdeen Ferryhill Sheds were told (in strong terms) by Haymarket that their engines had to return home as per the diagram. The Haymarket crews of course, knew of this instruction and made sure that their engine came back with them!

Eric

Thanks Eric, and Gilbert, 

There's an article I've been trying to find that's recorded which A4s ran in he summer seasons from 53-61. 

From memory Uof SA were Elizabethan regulars. 

We recently moved finding stuff is a pain.

Thanks again for the info.

IMG_20240319_192103.jpg.5ecbb5d50f764b0280e5c716eac1e002.jpg

I just found it. Added it for completeness. It covers the Capitals and the Elizabethan.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

More 60010. The first one taken on the same day as all the rest.

1710away.JPG.5952c3786193dab81a8040154658fc89.JPG

The second was taken some day later, when I got occasional moments of real sunlight. I think you will see the difference.

1101cloudy.JPG.59f624a65eba52d18f88e40697b17c4f.JPG

Though now I look at it, and with the new screen I think there is too much colour saturation.

Don't over-think this, Gilbert! To me, those two photos replicate just how things would look in real life on a dull day and a sunny day, respectively (replicating night-time might be going just a bit too far, though).

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gilbert

I just wanted to 'check in' and say very many thanks for your consistent hard work and efforts in supplying us 'PN Fans' with daily updates and evocative photos.

It is much appreciated by me, even if I only comment on the odd occasion!🙂

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Don't over-think this, Gilbert! To me, those two photos replicate just how things would look in real life on a dull day and a sunny day, respectively (replicating night-time might be going just a bit too far, though).

Thank you John. I should write one thousand times, " I must not obsess about things". But I won't, too much like hard work.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Gilbert

I just wanted to 'check in' and say very many thanks for your consistent hard work and efforts in supplying us 'PN Fans' with daily updates and evocative photos.

It is much appreciated by me, even if I only comment on the odd occasion!🙂

Brian

Much appreciated Brian. The number of people who follow my ramblings is a powerful incentive to keep me running and photographing. Without that, there would be times when innate idleness would take over. It is nice though, when it is a two way process.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I'm liking that first Dub D shot a lot!  is that a new angle?  The corner of the 'box slipping in really makes it for me.

Camera slightly further to the left of previous shots, but I think it is a closer crop on that side that makes the difference. More impact for some reason than if I had left the whole side of the box in.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Very nearly at the end of this sequence,after which it will become Saturday. Even more V2s on a Saturday.

Ooh goody! Look forward to a Saturday at PN 🤓

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

I must admit, with the inclusion of the Mkls, I always think they are wonderful models and wish we still had them in real life. Haven't things gone downhill with modern trains, in both comfort & looks.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I must admit, with the inclusion of the Mkls, I always think they are wonderful models and wish we still had them in real life. Haven't things gone downhill with modern trains, in both comfort & looks.

I always thought that the BRB designed Mk3 coaches were some of the finest, and certainly the strongest, coaches to run in the UK. The space provided per passenger on later rolling stock (ignoring high density stock) is very much less than that provided in the past. Comfort is made much worse than that when most TOCs run 2 coach MU when 4 would have been approriate etc... True the mandatory provision of multi use toilets has made matters a little worse but the real issue is "cram them in" design and a significant reduction in the number of vehicle per train.

All part of Britains wonderful private sector railways.

KInd regards,

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Of course, as everyone know, Mk1s were very much an imitation of Bulleids most magnifico Vehicles. I know this as I was there.

I have already left, am too far away to be shot down and I don't care anyway as it's FRIDAY and despite not working since 2014 I still love Fridays, but very much a Boom Town Rat on Mondays.

Yo,

Philth

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, great northern said:

A couple of days with sunshine have helped a lot, so instances of eight shots of the same loco should now cease, at least for the time being..

Well there is the added attraction of the N5.......  ;-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/03/2024 at 10:51, stewartingram said:

Comfort and looks maybe, but not in other respects. Steve@31A travelled yesterday from Brussels to York. It took just over four and a half hours. If he had taken the Flying Scotsman from KIngs Cross to Newcastle in summer 1957, non stop, four and a half hours would have got him to just south of Durham!. The following 1010 Glasgow, which did stop at York, would have got him there in just under four hours.

I don't know why we all yearn for what we now perceive to have been the golden years of our youth, but we do. My passion for steam was ignited in the early 5os, and has stayed with me ever since. I walked away for a while when the Pacifics started to be scrapped, but when I moved to Retford in 1973, and lived within easy walking distance of the ECML, I tried to regain some interest. All I seemed to ever see though was Deltics and Brush type 4s in that soulless blue livery, and I soon got bored. But I bet those who were in their teens in the 70s have their own fond memories of that time.

So, I will continue to dwell in 1958, apart from the bit where I had to scrape ice off the inside of my bedroom window in the winter months.

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I really like the last shot, actually. We are right in and among the action of an arriving train from London. It might be the slow train, but here all trains have to run slowly! And the background is entirely non-distracting. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1